„Seinfeld“ appreciation thread!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sgt. Abbey Road, Feb 22, 2023.

1. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Jimmy put the moves on Elaine.

a customer, Matthew Tate and Manapua like this.
  2. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

They should have added Anthony Starke as a recurring bf for Elaine a la Puddy, at the very least for the duration of that particular season. Love his manic energy.

3. WalterBoyd

WalterBoyd Forum Resident

The writing and direction of that show was genius. Not only were the four main characters consistently funny, they managed to make all the supporting characters and bit players just as good. Even George's fiancé Susan, played by Heidi Swedberg, was hilarious playing the role of "straight man" (so to speak). Ironically, Jason Alexander had her fired and written out of the show because he thought she wasn't funny.

4. George Co-Stanza

To be fair, I think Alexander thought he and Swedberg simply didn't have good chemistry, which actually made the George/Susan dynamic more believable, as they never looked like a real couple in the sense of wanting to be together, and I suspect that two actors not having good chemistry was a part of that. And I don't think he had her fired. They obviously weren't going to have Susan and George get married, so her character arc ending at the end of 7 wasn't ill-timed. And she did return for a brief appearance in the backwards episode in Season 9, which I have to believe she would have been reluctant to do had Alexander gotten her fired.

theMess, Grand_Ennui, parman and 5 others like this.
  5. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

In Jason's own words:

theMess, LarsO, Silver Surfer and 7 others like this.
  6. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Favorite episdoe(s) was the 2 part episode with Keith Hernandez. Yes, I'm a Mets fan.

Paice, ianuaditis, Vic_1957 and 5 others like this.
  7. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

Anybody remember the “Modern Seinfeld” Twitter account? Looks like it’s been inactive for almost a decade, but there were some pretty believable ideas for Seinfeld plots if the show had continued into the 21st century.

“Jerry gets paranoid about his girlfriend’s past when her phone automatically connects to Newman’s WiFi.”

“Jerry’s girlfriend breaks up with him for not wishing her Happy Birthday on Facebook. ‘But I said it to your face!’ ‘Nobody can see that!’”

8. George Co-Stanza

Back...and to the left.

Duke Fame and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

That, my friends, is one magic loogie.

10. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

how pretentious

11. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

I've seen probably every single episode multiple times, and it is still laugh out loud funny.

Vic_1957, parman, longdist01 and 6 others like this.
  12. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Oh, totally.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  13. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

An actor, pretentious? Say it ain't so!

14. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

Frank Costanza yelling, (as always): "I WILL NOT TOLERATE INFESTATION!!"

theMess, longdist01, GregM and 2 others like this.
  15. George Co-Stanza

It is, but he is an actor after all, haha.

Not sure if is is true of Michael Richards, who I have never really seen interviewed since, but the main cast of the show definitely knew they were hilarious. Confidence was not lacking with them. Even Julia L-D once said that they were the biggest fans of their own show; again, they knew they were hilarious. She wasn't wrong.

16. Roman Potato Chip

Roman Potato Chip Forum Resident

I used Morty's, "You've got my name, and my address, that's enough," line from earlier in that episode once when faced with lengthy preliminary paperwork at the dentist's office. To my surprise, it worked.

17. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

It's obvious the cast had a good time on the show even right up to the last season. So often you can tell when actors have checked out, especially on long running shows. Bewitched for example. Liz Montgomery seemed over it in the last couple of seasons and it was painful to watch. Roseanne is another one. Everyone started mugging towaeds the end and most of the interesting characters that the actors did such a good job bringing to life became cartoon-ish.

18. The Fragile Mollusk

The Fragile Mollusk Active Member

My third favorite TV show, behind The Simpsons and The Sopranos.

"Short, devious, balding. His name was Costanza. He killed my mother."

"Oh yeah? Well the Jerk Store called! They're running out of you!"

19. George Co-Stanza

With regards to Seinfeld, I agree about the cast, but I do think Kramer came off as a bit cartoon-ish at times in the last season, and I didn't like that. The Blood in particular is an episode where it is glaring, IMO.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Compared to the early episodes, cartoon Kramer actually developed much earlier than season nine. I blame the middle years when his entrances were met with raucous audience applause. Reminded me of Happy Days when every Fonzie appearance sent the studio audience into hysterics.

Big Blue, Matthew Tate and Spitfire like this.
  21. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Even worse than either of these examples is when Christina Applegate made an entrance on episodes of 'Married With Children' to be met by obnoxious screaming and wolf whistles.

Big Blue, longdist01 and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

The audience on MWC should have been credited as part of the cast since their OTT reactions played out throughout the episodes and pretty much every cast member got some sort of shout-out.

23. GregM

GregM The expanding man

He was always that way. Lots of one-liners and slapstick, physical comedy all along. It wasn't just the final season.

24. TwiceFan

TwiceFan Forum Resident

“Two Mendy’s!!”

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

The water was cold.

Matthew Tate likes this.