Sellers who won't ship outside the US

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Lord Summerisle, May 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

The bad apples with fraudulent claims ruin it for good guys like yourself. Sucks, but you need to direct your anger at paypal.

On discogs, I request money order only on pricey items for international customers as a "sniff test". If they balk at this, I figure that their intent is to scam.

2. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

But that's the point and the problem. There are dishonest buyers, and we are not inclined to ship non-trackable packages. Yes, the dishonest ones spoil it for you.

No one is arguing that the carriers fail to deliver. The issue is if you want tracking from the US to the foreign destination there is extra cost involved. Someone mentioned $38. Sure you have the Amazon Marketplace and eBay sellers that do this all the time. But they conduct a business of it, and can accept reasonable losses (including dishonest chargebacks). Some of us who just sell stuff from our collection here and there do not want to incur any chargebacks, so we choose not to ship where delivery cannot be tracked. That's just how it is.

3. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Ok, but I find it hard to believe any traders on this forum would carry on like that. I think forum feedback and quantity of posts is good enough collateral for me. We are talking CDs here. Why risk your position on this forum for a measly CD?

4. Josquin des Prez

Like johnt23 said, direct your anger at Paypal, not us. If I sell something only on occasion, I'd rather lose a sale than take risk I'll have a loss.

Forum feedback provides no real protections. At best it can help reduce minimize risk, but plenty of people have been scammed through forum trading systems (I don't mean this forum specifically, but in general).

5. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

What? Paypal is not the issue here, Its who do we trust on this forum.
    I think if there is a scammer on the loose here on SHForums, we get to know about it pretty quickly.:D

6. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I've sold 'measly' $200 cds here and on ebay.

If you bought one and it didn't get to you, what would you do?

7. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

They always do. Thats the point I am making.

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Because they make it to you from the US, they make it to every worldwide location?

9. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

Let's take a step back and try to empathize with each other's situations.

You are an international buyer, and the Internet creates a fantastic opportunity to purchase items that are scarce in your country.

We are the sellers who want to sell to the largest market possible with little risk.

We've been burned too often to take these risks. Believe me.

..........and the scammers are here in the states, too.

I sell tons of lps. Most go via media mail with delivery confirmation.
    The *one* instance where I didn't purchase delivery confirm, the buyer claimed "item not received". Right.

10. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

This happened on SHForums classifieds, right?
    I took a look at your stats. You don't seem to reciprocate feedback too much do you?

11. slayerhatesusall

slayerhatesusall Well-Known Member

I've sent cds out of the country probably around 250 times and only had 2 people say the cds didn't arrive and open paypal disputes. But all the extra money I get by allowing international bidders more then makes up for it. I would have probably made $1500 less if I only sent to domestic buyers. Plus in my situation I had more people from the US open disputes then international buyers despite selling more cds to international buyers then domestic ones. Plus the domestic buyer can still lie to paypal and say the received an empty package even if you put delivery or signature confirmation on it, then they send you back an empty package and keep the cd they stole from you. If the cd is over $75 I just make the international buyer pay for registered mail which is an extra $11, which doesn't always update on the US site but usually tracks on the recipients country's website when its delivered.

12. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Ask that from some scammer on the forum. We have them here too.

13. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

But if it didn't, what wuld you do if there was no tracking to prove it ?

I would guess you would want your money back, right ?

You didn't answer his question.

14. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Its hypothetical until it happens to me.:)

15. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

No kidding. :confused:

I guess you just like to avoid real answers. The point is to put yourself in that position in your mind.

Forget it. :shake:

16. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

That's like asking what would I do if I won the lotto. I don't know as it would be a new experience for me.
    Also, I have reached the point now in my trading where I can take a hit and still make an overall tidy profit.
    So in answer to your question, I would probably take the hit.

17. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

But why would you risk taking a hit if you didn't have to?

18. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

IT WAS A HYPOTHETICAL QUESTION. It hasn't happened. It will probably never happen. It was a hypothetical answer to bru87tr's hypothetical question.

19. FranzD

FranzD Forum Resident

I am with carrols here. I boughts lots of Lps from US sellers over the years. Nothing ever got lost.
    As an occasional seller I sold LPs to Russia, Romania, Italy and France and elswhere with perfect results.

20. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

On this forum I offer to ship worldwide and I never have had an issue but I am nervous about lack of tracking. If I sell elsewhere I do limit shipping to the US and Canada.

21. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Boy, it is like pulling teeth getting you to answer in a normal manner.

At least you finally responded, now was that so hard? :rolleyes:

22. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Its still hypothetical so it means nothing. When it finally happens I'll PM you personally. :rolleyes:

23. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

You aren't going to change anyones mind and they, obviously, are not going to change yours. :)

24. Josquin des Prez

It means nothing to you, but it means plenty to the sellers who suffer losses due to chargebacks.

You actually don't have a real argument against sellers who won't ship internationally, because you are in denial they have a problem doing so. Your whole argument is based on broken logic that everything shows up at your door, so it must be all good. You act like the problem is merely hypothetical, despite the fact sellers have shared accounts of monetary loss. :sigh:

25. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Ah sure Ill get the sleeping pills out if thats the case.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.