Sellers who won't ship outside the US

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Lord Summerisle, May 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

I said I was more likely to ship overseas on the forum and I got accused of thinking everyone overseas are scammers. :laugh: It is funny because that is argument that on the forum you are less likely to get ripped off. I dealt with you when I sold my gold CD collection and we had no problems at all, but like other said not everyone is honest. But in reality even if you have tracking you can still get ripped off by the person returning a different item to you than what you sent. It is just easier to say you did not get it if no tracking is involved. Sometimes I will ship overseas but usually I just do not feel like having to go to the post office and filling out the forms. But in the spirit of the forum I will usually do that for other members.

2. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

I sent off two singles to Brazil today. I totally expect to be ripped off, we'll see what happens.

3. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

How come no one mentions registered mail?

If a registered parcel gets lost, that is one humongous exception.

4. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

No such thing when shipping international. Priority mail is by default registered. I mean maybe there is some service you can pay for that they imply might be registered but it will be useless in a dispute.

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

International registered mail does not require signature (therefore will do you no good in a Paypal dispute) and adds a minimum of $11 to the shipping cost.

And it's not available on a package/box.

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

How much in shipping?

7. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

And what a great collection it was too. A real enhancement to my collection. Cheers Bill.
    :righton:

8. Combination

Have you ever shipped anything registered mail? In the past month, I've sent records via registered mail to people in 3 different countries. And yes, they were packages/boxes.

The whole idea with registered mail is to eliminate any problems in the first place. It is literally locked in a safe at every stop from beginning to end.

You could just as easily have an American member on this forum claim that he never received an album, and that it was delivered to the wrong address.

One alternative is to limit international sales to people who have at least 100 feedback. I've known record store owners who adopted this policy.

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yes, and it's not available for packages over 4lbs.

10. Combination

That's a first class international weight restriction.

If you have to go past 4 lbs and use Priority International, you do have the option to insure your parcel.

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Like I mentioned earlier, insurance is basically worthless. USPS cannot help you find a package if it goes missing, there is no signature option, so you're exposed via PayPal if the value is >$250.

12. Combination

Help me understand, please. If a package goes missing - and you've insured it, isn't USPS on the hook for the missing package? Generally, they will reimburse the shipper if the parcel is fully insured, no?

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You can't file an insurance claim for Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelopes and Small Flat Rate Priced Boxes, which is typically the most reasonably priced way to send things like CDs.

14. Combination

If you send CD's in a padded mailer, the USPS deems it a parcel - which can then be insured.

Yep, you might miss out on saving roughly the cost of a domestic draft beer, but there are way worse things in life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.