Senses Working Overtime: XTC and Dukes of Stratosphear Song-by-song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Dec 25, 2021.

1. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

I kind of like this one, but I do find Psonic Psunspot in general a bit of a blind spot. I don't know why, I love it when I'm playing it, but it doesn't stick in my mind like 25 O'Clock does.

3/5

2. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Ive still got Robyn on regular rotation (once every three weeks or so.) But i have banished a number of songs from my iPod. Mainly from the early 00s.

3. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

Bit silly and irritating this one. For some reason the middle instrumental bit reminds me of Jeff Lynne & ELO!!! 2/5.

4. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Catching up after some travelling that didn't allow for keeping up with this and other threads. The last song I commented on was "Vanishing Girl", which I wasn't as excited about as many others here. The seven songs after that are a mixed bag for me. "Little Lighthouse" and "You're My Drug" are the standouts for me, while "Collideascope" and "Shiny Cage" are enjoyable. I could happily live without ever hearing "Jackie", "Albert Brown" and "Braniac's Daughter" again.

5. hvgrace

hvgrace Senior Member

I really liked that interview. I really caught how he felt, good and bad, about the band and how it ended. And of course the many details he remembers about the recordings.

pocketcalculator likes this.
  6. prymel

prymel Forum Resident

“Brainiac’s Daughter” – This is a decent musical idea beaten to a pulp. It’s fun for about thirty seconds, but it just doesn’t lead to any rewarding place. Sounds like they’re going for a McCartney vibe, but it plays like second-rate Klaatu. 2/5

7. KangaMom

KangaMom Queen of the Quokkas

Braniac's Daughter
    I think this is a good song, albeit an imitation of The Beatles - I get Octopus's Garden vibes which is fine although not my favorite Beatles track. There's a number of annoying bits in the song, the spoken word intro and the bubbles. I get it but it doesn't mean I can enjoy it.

I guess in the spot the influence game I'd prefer not to have such a straight imitation (that this seems to be, but other songs on the album aren't) - I credit Andy for coming up with it because it does exactly what he wanted it to do. It's just that I was hoping for more of his own take on this style rather than a facsimile.

It is darn catchy though...3.5/5

8. KangaMom

KangaMom Queen of the Quokkas

This is so true for me also...

pocketcalculator likes this.
  9. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"Brainiac's Daughter" -- 3.5/5

This is a good song, and while I can hear plenty of McCartney-ism in it, it sounds more like a pastiche of McCartney pastiches, if that makes sense. Sounds more like an homage to Emitt Rhodes or something than to The Beatles. I can definitely hear the "Octopus's Garden" in it too, now that @ARL brought it up, but I'll be honest and say I never noticed it before. I've never gotten any enjoyment out of the spoken word interludes that link many of these tracks, and I find them more of an annoyance than they're worth.

Anyway, really catchy and bouncy tune -- I like it, and Colin's bass playing on this is incredible.

10. Bob C

Bob C Forum Resident

I guess I like "Brainiac's Daughter" more than most so far. It's another nice pop song regardless of its (obvious or otherwise) influences. 4/5

11. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

Brainiac -- I love this one. One of the best pop songs on the album right up there with Vanishing Girl. Yes, it's Yellow Submarine/Octopus Garden, but it's better than both of those by half! 5/5

12. Nonsuch

Nonsuch Knows a Little Bit About a Lot of Things

Brainiac's Daughter
    Intellectually (if that is the word), I can see the McCartney influences on this, but really, it's not much like Macca. The Bonzos resemblance is probably more on the mark. I guess the most McCartney thing about it is its shallowness—it's supremely catchy but I can't seem to succeed in following the lyrics even if I consciously try. Sometimes that quality bothers me, but not with this song, for some reason. It's a really terrific melody and perhaps suffers slightly from being surrounded by such uninspired material on either side of it (sorry, Colin). A nice little lift on a rather flat album side. 4/5

13. dthomas850

dthomas850 Forum Resident

Brainiac's Daughter - Another absolute favorite top track feel-good sing along. I was thinking this is more like Lady Madonna, but who cares? It's just a great track. I love how the title is repeated during the chorus, just pure genius, really nice bass on this one too and what a nifty solo! A highlight of the album.
    5/5

14. redmedicine

redmedicine Pop Punk Psych Prog

I agree with the consensus here. 3/5

15. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

"Brainiac's Daughter" is one my very favorite tunes, and yet at the same time, I can completely understand why it's probably a bit esoteric.

Unapologetically sappy - big, dumb fun, AND loaded with comic book references?

Andy, you shouldn't have...

5/5

16. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Brainiac’s Daughter- Well if you like Paul McCartney, you’ll like this tune. I can’t imagine there aren’t a lot a lot of us who didn’t recognize the McCartney connection upon hearing it the first time. Paul McCartney is my favorite living musician so I’m a sucker for anything that sounds remotely like him, especially if the song is done well, and this is. I love Andy’s vocals on this, they’re so airy and wistful. I think this song could have found a home on an XTC album as well. Does anyone know if Paul and Andy had any interaction through the years ? 5/5

17. hvgrace

hvgrace Senior Member

"Brianiac's Daughter" pulls out all the British music hall stops with its florid melody driven by brisk clompy piano, the descending progression and plenty of secondary dominants (major III chords, inverted to enhance the descending bass - like in the fourth measure). It's brightly colored and Andy's having fun singing his DC comics word salad.

What starts off amusing, after a while, becomes familiar as a toothache. The pacing is off and the bridge goes nowhere. The extended fade feels perfunctory (and quite reminiscent of the "me and physics" part in "Heaven Is Paved With Broken Glass"). I get an accumulating impression, here at the end of the album, that these are all little studies. Well-crafted but not very inspired. YMMV. 3/5

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  18. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Forgot to mention Thunderclap Newman in the middle bit. Might up my score to 3/5 as a result.

19. Lars Medley

Lars Medley I lost on Jeopardy!

Brainiac: My 40+ mens tennis league doubles match got rained out last night -- we won the first set, on serve in the second, and are going to finish up Tuesday after work. Walking home from the park I dialed in this song to formulate my final score. I think this one is great. I love the lyrics (granted, as a comic book nerd like AP they are right up my alley), the bass line, the Macca-isms. This album definitely lacks the laser-focus of 25 O'Clock (and benefits from the Chips/Psurroundabout treatment of presenting the two together in a wild and wooly package) but I'm glad we got it. Spoiler: this will not be the last one on this album I will award...

5/5

20. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Brainiac’s Daughter

I love this song. It’s so upbeat and effervescent I would have to have a heart of stone to be immune to its charms. I don’t really care if he’s trying to imitate the style of Paul McCartney if the result is this good. I don’t think of Paul McCartney when I hear this, I think of Andy, because it’s Andy’s voice. I may even prefer Andy singing this type of song as he doesn’t seem to use some of the annoying vocal mannerisms Paul can sometimes use on a song like this.

I don’t really care what he’s singing about here because the music just carries me away.

4.5/5

21. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

I will admit this melody has been playing almost non-stop in my head all day long, in a pleasing way, so I will update my score to 4/5.

22. Brainiac's Daughter. The best McCartney song not written by McCartney. Great melodies and singing put this near the top for me. 4.5/5

23. Charlie DJ

Charlie DJ Forum Resident

Oh yes sir, yes sir
    Three bags full sir

That's also an obvious reference to the Kinks' Yes Sir No Sir

"Spot the Influence" is a fun game lol

24. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Haha. Yeah, I concur. Other than that, a pleasant piece of McCartney pop. 4/5

25. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I missed a few days.

"Your'e My Drug"- I was listening to this and I couldn't decide who they were trying to sound like. I didn't have any internet so I couldn't look it up. Now I totally hear The Byrds, but it wasn't coming to me until it was pointed out. I'm a huge Byrds fan and was also listening to them over the past couple days. The guitar sound and the washboard percussion sound gives it away, but that's all that is really reminiscent of The Byrds. Perhaps, one of the lesser songs on the album, but it has a fantastic bass line, and I don't have anything negative to say about a Byrds inspired song. 4/5

"Shiny Cage"- Along with the last song, I think this could have easily been on an XTC album. The 60s influences are there, but both songs also sound like they are from the 80s. The Beatles influence is very clear in the guitar sound. I love the production on this album. They really knew how to get these songs down. They nail that 1966 Beatles sound. 4/5

"Braniac's Daughter- In the past, I would have likely said this was my favorite Dukes song. This is pure pop bliss and as sweet as a splendid cream bun. I love the nonsense lyrics and all the fun production touches. I'm a bit surprised this one is getting much love. My son loved this song when he was younger. I think you would be hard pressed to find any kid who wouldn't enjoy this song. Some may call it silly and slight, but I call it magical and full of wonder. 5/5

I also love the spoken word intro.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022