Sgt. Pepper 40th Anniversary - June 1, 2007!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pawnmower, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I wouldn't rank Blue Jay Way, Your Mother Should Know, or Flying above any song on Pepper - not even Lovely Rita!

2. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Is it MMT 40th?

3. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

I love that pressing! Enjoy!

4. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

For celebration tomorrow I'm calling up Lovely Rita!!

5. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I guess if you say so, it is!

I try to be less definitive and say " I like _____ more than________".

6. I'm listening to the mono -1 U.K. LP and wondering what the hey EMI/Apple is/isn't doing.

Am wearing an offical Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band tie to work today. (Manufactured by Ralph Marlin tie company, c. 1995 Apple Corp.) Purchased it new, back in the day, along with the White Album tie, Revolver and one or two others.

Hey Apple, hey EMI, how about something like this? :sigh:

Attached Files:

7. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

Glad you agree :D

The lesser stuff on it is not infinitely worse than SP's weak moments, while nothing on SP surpasses SFF, Fool On The H, , Penny L or I'm The W

8. That should read tomorrow, not today on the tie bit. :)

9. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I'll get on my old bicycle on which I rode to EJ Korvettes to pickup my copy after school on that Friday. My friend Larry Paolotti and I flew there to make sure they weren't sold out.

I'm sure my *** will hurt for a week but it'll give me some excuse to sit and listen to the album.

10. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I just changed my avatar and signature temporarly. For the next 48 hours I am all about Pepper baby!

11. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Lots of stuff happening 40 years ago. May,P Floyd stage first ever rock cencert in quad. June The Beatles perform for the Our World TV special.
    June,Stones jailed for drugs.

12. nickg

nickg Forum Resident

technically, yes. :)

I'm all geared up for the big day(s), being in America, I'll celebrate both days, the UK and US release.
    Thank God for the original mono vinyl release I just picked up. :)

13. Onward

Onward Forum Resident

Playing the uk stereo now, as I'm going away skiing this weekend and won't be anywhere near my stereo :) I'll take my ipod with a needledrop and play in the car though :wave:

14. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Listened to it Tuesday and will play it again tomorrow. Like fine wine, it's aged rather well hasn't it? I still remember the day it came out. It was on the news on TV!!!

15. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I found a Canadian monophonic record of this for $2 today!

Scuffy, but I'm sure it'll play purty good once I am through with it!

Timely, non?

16. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

:bigeek: Obviously I was in the wrong place in Toronto today!:righton: :goodie:

17. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Good find for $2, but they are crappy pressings. Sorry to say.

18. jeffchisako

jeffchisako Forum Resident

It's UK mono for me on friday!

19. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

Today's NPR (BBC/WGBH) program "The World" had a segment on Sgt Pepper's that included a Geoff Emmerick interview regarding the long time spent on the Mono mix followed by the short stereo mix sessions. The reporter stated something like "so the mono mix is the version to have, but it's been out of print since the late 60s."

Pretty cool to hear some respect for the mono Sgt Pepper's on a non-Beatles show.

(This will probably be on-line tomorrow at: http://www.theworld.org/ )

20. All great songs but "Pepper's" best is very bit the equal AND it's more consistent overall and two of the songs you mentioned wasn't on the original EP (although it was on the album here in the US).

21. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Actually, it's the U.S. that I think are worse....

I have a UK of this mono title....I figure for $2 it was a worthy investment as I probably know of at least a half dozen or so folks who would love to receive this as a present from me....and that's what I intend to do with it....basically...pass it on!!!

22. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Happy birthday Sgt. Pepper! (well, one day to go)

<--- I've changed my avatar for it's birthday. :wave:

23. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

This actually surprises me. I would have guessed 4 times that many, if not more.

Can you imagine how many more copies they would sell if Steve mastered a new gold CD?

24. Wogew

Wogew Member of The People's Front of Judea

25. My mono US sounds like crap normally, but I have a second frankenpreamp with no loading resistors, capacitors, or rolloff caps installed, which should in theory play back what's actually on the disc above the turnover point. (In theory; this doesn't account for loading, so it's somewhat skewed). When played through this, the mono US is almost perfect tonally to me - just my opinion. I know somebody will read this and say, "no rolloff cap? He must be hearing something bright and tizzy!" but it's not for the mono US Peppers...using this setup, it sounds similar in tone to my mono US Mystery Tour, which is great. I can't imagine how it could have been cut without RIAA compensation on the top end, but that's sure what it sounds like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.