SH Spotlight SH Forum members: Are your speakers in correct phase?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Professor Batty

Professor Batty Forum Resident

A lot of the older receivers/integrated amps had stereo/mono switches that made it easy to hear out of phase when folding down the stereo to mono.
    I've put mono switches in a couple of integrated amps and use them often for "too-wide" stereo, especially on my computer workstation.
    I have two pair of Minimus-7s on my workstation, with speakers on each side positioned back to back, with the rear firing speakers wired out of phase giving an excellent sound stage for near-field monitors (and they fold down to mono perfectly.)

2. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I don't know if this is a bit off-topic or not, but I have had some odd experiences with mains leads.
    Almost every CD player I have owned - with detachable power leads - sounds different when I reverse the power connection.
    In one position it sounds "right" and in the other almost out of phase.
    (I am familiar with out of phase sound as I had one of my speakers wired incorrectly for months.)

I have a disc with an out-of-phase track on it (voice and music) and even that sounds a little different (but not really out of phase) when I pull out the mains lead, turn it over and re-connect.

Anyway, all I can say is that one connection sounds normal and the other doesn't.
    Sorry if this doesn't make sense. It could just be my ears. :D

3. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

The truth is my speakers don't phase me at all. I just love my music...

4. ajax25

ajax25 Forum Resident

Yes ….. seY

5. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Can I hit PLAY first and then go stand in front? I can't reach it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.