SH Spotlight SH Forum members: Are your speakers in correct phase?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

That's how I did it, FL & FR, then C, then SL & SR, finally the sub.

I would think that mixing for 5.1 has it's own peculiar set of issues regarding phasing.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Nightmare issues, yes.

Especially when the 5:1 is collapsed to 2 channel stereo. Watch out!

3. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Thanks, Geoff :righton: ... I'll give that a try ;) ...

4. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I have my speakers bi-wired and I think all is OK Red to Red, Black to Black. I assume the same rules apply with this set-up? The mono recording test worked fine.

5. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

Now all you have to make sure is that you are out of the blue and into the black ;)

6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Steve, could you please explain how and why that makes a difference? :confused:

7. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

So ... if I cross the polarity between the amp and a tape deck ... I can turn my mono Beatles and Beach Boys LPs into duophonic "masterpieces"? :D ...

8. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I've wondered about that. Just as we once had store shelves lined with fake stereo generated from mono sources (and sold for that dreaded one dollar more..), are there any commercially available 5.1 mixes that are really just stereo images encoded to 5.1? Assuming history repeats, are they sold for more than the standard stereo CD? I would think it would be comprised of left channel encoded to FL & SL, right channel encoded to FR & SR, and a fold-down mono encoded to C and LFE.

9. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Hey I watched the original "Goodfellas" DVD yesterday just to check out my picture setup and it was 5.1 played back on 2 channel...don't know if it was folded down but boy it was weird...music + narration, but little or no actual sound/dialogue from the film!

Haven't gotten around to connecting the 5.1 yet.

10. Tim

Tim New Member

I'm confused: I have a turntable and CD going into a preamp that IS phase inverting. This goes into a solid-state amp (which I assume after reading these articles is not phase inverting.) The manufactorer of my preamp states "If your system has an odd number of inversions, then you must add one phase inversion."

So, could my sources (phono and CD) be phase inverting? Or, my AC line perhaps? I'm not sure if I should "count" these in order to figure out if I have an odd number of inversions. Or, should I just figure the phase inverting preamp into the equation, and reverse the polarity by way of my speaker cables?

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...been in Phase since 69!...I color code my hook-ups!

12. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I just visited the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland this past weekend...a very cool place. Except for a speaker setup blasting out DC5 hits OUT OF PHASE! Very annoying. I didn't say anything to any of the staff there but I think I will e-mail the Hall.

13. jpbarn

jpbarn Forum Resident

Steve, can phase also be inverted at the point of cartridge/tonearm cable connection? If so, seems like that would be important to this discussion too, for those of us that still play LPs.

Thanks.

John.

14. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes, please do. I'd heard about absolute phase but this is a first for me.

I'll try the 'absolute phase' thing- but I pray to God I don't notice anything, as I have enough variables to go nuts over already :D.

15. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

All good here! Thanks!

16. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

Until he replies, try a search at AA, in Cable and/or Speaker Asylum under 'directional speaker' or similar. You will find differing points of view........

http://www.audioasylum.com/index.html

17. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

Steve thanks for the heads up. Happy to report that I'm in phase (but out of style). I used the Thank You Girl test and let the cd run to She Loves You and had to wince when that master snafu shows up between 1:23 and 1:29. I'd forgot all about that. Damn is that ugly! And sloppy.

18. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Indeed you will.

19. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

In phase here, Captain! :righton: And for getting the 5.1 rig in phase, actually 5.0 in my case, I find the Chesky Ultimate DVD Surround Sampler / 5.1 Set-Up Disc invaluable.

20. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

21. Robert Lan

Robert Lan Forum Resident

Everything's in phase here too.

22. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I, too, am in phase! :goodie:

23. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Good to go on my rig, boss. Even though it seems easy to do, things like this can get mixed up rather easily.

Just within the past month, I was moving components around in my rack and getting a new CD player. For two days I had my surround speakers playing the "reversed" channels because my SR & SL pre-amp out jacks were reversed. I even goofed up my CD player outputs for a couple of hours until I noticed things where coming from the wrong side!! :shake:

I got a CD from TDK back in '95 that gave a test track for out-of-phase. It had a man's voice repeated a phrase so you would know if you were rigged up correctly or not. Invaluable stuff!

24. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I'm in phase, but the direction of the letters on my right speaker cable was backwards. All is well now...

25. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Everything's in phase. It's good to do this check after cleaning terminals, etc. Also, make sure all switches are in proper position. I spent a week trying to figure out why my left channel had a weaker signal than my right. I finally checked the mono bridge switch on my McIntosh amp and noticed it was partially in the middle. I must have accidentally bumped it when cleaning. All systems go.... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.