SH Katy Lied ~~ different masterings on MCAD-31194

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by davenav, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peter

peter Senior Member

That's the good one, IMO. The proper time is 35:38, but a 2 second difference is cd-player specific. If it were 35:30, then it's the bad one. Believe me, when you hear both, the difference is easily heard.

2. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter Thread Starter

The number on the inner ring of my "good" one is 31194. The back is plaid. These are all indicators that it isn't a SH version. And yet it matches up with the times and sounds superior to all my other KL's (and I bought quite a few)!!!

There has been so much disinformation about this title that it boggles the mind. But apparently, MCA 'accidentally' released it several times.

3. peter

peter Senior Member

WOW!!!!!

I don't know what else to say!

4. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

Just pointing out that I believe there are more than two versions of non-"remastered" KL with the 31194 matrix (if this is incorrect please correct me). So just because one is better than another one does not mean that that relatively good one is Steve's (people have said good things about the Nichols version). If I recall correctly (I can't take the time to reread that other thread at the moment), as someone mentioned above, the 000373 in the inner ring was key.

I remember asking if anyone had found one that wasn't a CRC release, since I started thinking that the Columbia House versions may have been the only "Steves". That would be a kicker, huh?

5. Jay

Jay New Member

Or if Audio Fidelity could release the SACDs. I would SO love that. I'm about to begin obsessing about Steely Dan, and I could really head it off if I knew there was a chance those were coming out. I mean, I bought an SACD player in hopes of hearing those suckers.

6. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

I believe I have "The Mother" of all SH KL's.
    MCAD-37043 DIDX-373 Made in Japan MCAD-37043-U2E110 35:40.
    No bar code, no CRC.
    Glad other's are finding Steve's version 'all over the place'. After the last thread on KL, I thought there was no way to ever hear The Man's version.
    Image my pain, putting a CRC KL disc back, cause I'm not a fan of record club releases (until I became a "Disciple of Steve", hey great name for a band!). And then saw the pics in this thread of 'Steve's version'. I was physically ill! I'm on cloud nine after this $4.99US find. Thanks to all, for all the help!

7. 22dRow

22dRow New Member

Wait a minute. Mine is MCAD-37043 time 35:40, made in US. Are you saying that the discs with the 35:40 time are Steve's master?

8. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I would bet that any disc with catalog number MCAD-37043 or MCAD-31194 and a running time of around 35:40 has Steve's mastering. I have a number of Japanese pressings with catalog number MCAD-37043 and a U.S. CRC pressing with catalog number MCAD-31194 that all sound great, have running times around 35:40, and are identical according to EAC. Furthermore, EAC indicates that these discs are identical to Leppo's disc that Steve confirmed has his mastering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.