Share your records pressed on "secret" Quiex type vinyl (NOT colored/clear vinyl) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockadelic, May 6, 2012.

1. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

With a cowboy hat... :laugh: :shrug:
    [​IMG]

oldjollymon likes this.
  2. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

3. Vinyl Kix

Vinyl Kix Forum Resident

Here a few more I added to my collection the other day!
    The Timbuk 3 surprised me (it was an RCA club edition on I.R.S. label but I'm guessing it was pressed at RCA's Indy plant. It is a dark brown translucent.
    The Simple Minds one is now my #3 copy. This one was an Indy pressing (gorgeous brown translucent) and the other two I have one is brown, and the other is EMW (Electrosound Midwest) and it is green/grey translucent. The John Hiatt is an EMW pressing but on gorgeous brown translucent. The Bruce Hornsby album is also an Indy pressing and on gorgeous brown translucent. I knew all of them (except the Timbuk 3 album) were commonly pressed on translucent vinyl, so when I checked them and they were (and they were also in excellent condition!) I purchased them! They all sound fantastic!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

wynnwikman and c-eling like this.
  4. Vinyl Kix

Vinyl Kix Forum Resident

I found these three a couple of weeks back. The one that interested me was the Best of ZZ top on Warner Brothers but it was pressed at the Jacksonville plant (with identifier "O" etched in runout and on a really nice darker brown translucent vinyl!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Both the Phoebe Snow and the Richard Marx one sound outstanding!

c-eling likes this.
  5. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I feel like a non-translucent Synchronicity is more rare than a translucent one!

c-eling and AntLantic like this.
  6. AntLantic

AntLantic I63 B9B

After reading threads like this me as well

Echoes Myron likes this.
  7. Vinyl Kix

Vinyl Kix Forum Resident

Found these this past weekend. Was surprised to see the Sammy Hagar was a dark brown translucent (on Geffen label) Winchester pressing.
    The Rush album I've had before (it was an EMW green/grey translucent pressing) and this one is a nice root beer translucent Richmond Pressing. Both are in excellent condition!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

tinnox, Echoes Myron and c-eling like this.
  8. c-eling

Dare ya to buy a few clubs just to make sure :winkgrin:

9. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

That's a really great sounding record. I'd say at least 2/3 of the copies I've found over the years are on Quiex, even ones without the sticker. It's a really cool and strange album.

oldjollymon likes this.
  10. Vinyl Kix

Vinyl Kix Forum Resident

I picked these up recently in a vinyl shop in Des Moines, IA area
    All were in excellent condition and sound superb!

The Huey Lewis was an RCA club edition (Indy pressing) on gorgeous brown translucent
    The Joan Armatrading was an EMW pressing--also on brown translucent. I've had other Joan Armatrading albums in the past, but I was impressed with this one.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

James Glennon likes this.
  11. Vinyl Kix

Vinyl Kix Forum Resident

Here are a few I found recently (some at thrift store in Des Moines area, others in antique mall in Stillwater, OK (I was there for a wedding and of course had to find a place to browse for vinyl!!) The Colourfield one is a promo on Chrysalis label--excellent brown translucent. The Police (my 2nd copy) is an Indianpolis pressing RCA club--also a gorgeous brown translucent vinyl (on A&M label). The Gang of Four-Hard--on Warner Brothers label and has Criterion etched on runout--nice brown translucent as well. The Talk Talk-Party's Over --1982 Jacksonville pressing on EMI label (has O etched in runout--denoting Jacksonville) and a darker brown translucent but not too common--especially since 1982 they weren't producing as much translucent vinyl--that seemed to come more in mid 80's. All are in excellent condition and sound fantastic! I never heard of the Colourfield but I enjoy this album and some fine guitar work by Tears for Fears Roland Orzabal!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

So what is the connection between Bob Ludwig and 'Pacman'?

JG

13. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Check out The Colourfield's first album sometime, Virgins and Philistines. Unfortunately some of the U.S. LP pressings of it are known to be cut overly hot and sibilant. It's been awhile since I've heard that Go4 album, but I remember it being pretty terrible. Big drop in quality after the first 3 LPs.

14. c-eling

Beats me James :shrug:
    I've never come across it on anything else.
    Wonder if there are any Ludwig sigs without it.

15. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

According to Discogs, your Jacksonville pressing is the first pressing with the original full 4:35 version of "Legs". Later pressings (around 1984) had the remixed and edited single version.

[​IMG]

4-2-7 and c-eling like this.
  16. c-eling

Right!
    I have quite a few Jacksonville's but none have that little guy in the wax. So I'm wondering if it was just a fun thing they did (Cowboy Hats/Texas...)

17. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

SST
    Caroline

Gotta have Black Flag & Misfits on Quiex!

c-eling likes this.
  18. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

Found a minty copy of Grappelli/Grisman Live, artisan pressing at Goodwill recently, noticed that the reflection of the overhead lights was kind of strange looking, held it up, and sure enough, dark, dark, but fully translucent vinyl.

19. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I picked up 3 this week at the thrifts.

Jean Ritchie-Sweet Rivers June Appal JA 037 promo...listening now,I likey,old Baptist hymns with fiddle, dulcimer,guitar,autoharp backing . Focus on songs and vocals.
    Russ Barenburg-Cowboy Calypso Rounder 0111
    Wonderful Inventions Library Of Congress 2-LP unfortunately 1 disc got near heat source and warped
    [​IMG]

Vinyl Kix, Echoes Myron and c-eling like this.
  20. Vinyl Kix

Vinyl Kix Forum Resident

Here is a new addition to my collection:
    Prince's album (in superb condition) is a Jacksonville pressing (noted by O etched in runout) and a very nice brown translucent! Side note, it also has the original poster (in great condition!) and inside the jacket was a page from USA Today (dated July 26, 1984) with information about Prince and this album! Cool!)

[​IMG]

21. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

I just discovered some artists/titles on translucent vinyl not previously mentioned in this thread.

The B-52's S/T ©1979
    The B-52's Wild Planet ©1980

Devo - Freedom of Choice ©1980

These are all US 1st pressings on the Warner Brothers/WB label. Freedom of Choice and Wild Planet were pressed at the Capitol Records Pressing Plant in Jacksonville, IL and The B-52's S/T was pressed at the Capitol Records Pressing Plant in Winchester, VA.

Vinyl Kix and c-eling like this.
  22. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Another one I have not seen mentioned in this thread:

April Wine - Harder.....Faster

I have two different pressings of this on on translucent vinyl. One is a purple dome Capitol label pressed at the Capitol Record Pressing Plant in Jacksonville, IL the other is a green dome Capitol (Value) label pressed at the Capitol Records Winchester, VA pressing plant.

Vinyl Kix and c-eling like this.
  23. Fender Relic

I was gifted some hundreds of LP's recently and while I've been cleaning and sorting I've found a few.

Bruce Hornsby and The Range-The Way It Is
    One of two LP's The Cure-Kiss Me X 3
    Depeche Mode-Speak & Spell
    Thompson Twins-Here's To Future Days and You Take Me Up 12 inch 45 promo
    Billy Idol-Whiplash Smile

Last edited: May 1, 2023
    c-eling likes this.
  24. Fender Relic

A few more comps...

The History Of Surf Music Vol. 1
    Baby Boomer Classics series- Heart & Soul Fifties, Electric Sixties,Mellow Sixties

c-eling likes this.
  25. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Here's another Rhino release from the 1980s that I have on translucent vinyl. The Rhino Monkees titles are mentioned several times in this thread, but I haven't seen any mention of The Yardbirds.

The Yardbirds Greatest Hits, Volume One: 1964-1966 (©1986 Rhino Records)

c-eling likes this.