Shazam! movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bobby Buckshot, Mar 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

I could have sworn what I said existed but I guess I was mistaken!

2. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

BeatleJWOL and nick99nack like this.
  3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

It’s just me that thinks this looks terrible then? Ok.

4. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I wonder if Mr. Tawny and Uncle Marvel make an appearance.
    My dad, born in 1931, turned me on to Captain Marvel when DC brought him back in the 1970s under the Shazam banner.

Regginold31 and beccabear67 like this.
  5. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Saw the trailer before Captain Marvel.

Looks to me like a comedy. Getting good reviews.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

It doesn't look great to me but the people who have seen it say it's great, so there you go. Can't judge a book.....

GodShifter likes this.
  7. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

If you're interested, Isis is a major character in the DC miniseries 52 (it consisted of 52 issues, one released each week). It is a series which explores a world where for one year (due to the aftermath of Infinite Crisis) there is no Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. Isis is an important part of the Black Adam story arc.

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You realize no one here has actually seen the new "Hellboy", right?

So we can't say if it's good or bad...

Chris DeVoe and SandAndGlass like this.
  9. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Not terrible but the previews I saw gave me the impression that it is solidly a kids movie. (A super hero movie aimed at kids? NO!).

As Duff Goldman said when he saw Buddy Villastro's cake in the first episode of Buddy vs Duff, if I was 5 years old I would think it looked cool.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    GodShifter likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

This Captain Marvel/Shazam always seemed like a more "kid-friendly" superhero than most of the others anyway.

I really got into superheroes when I was 14, but prior to that, I liked 2 superhero mags: "Shazam" and the "kiddified" version of Spider-Man. I'm blanking on the title but there was a Spidey mag that was simpler for younger kids.

I read other mags at times but they seemed "too adult" for me until I was a teen. Maybe I was late to blossom! :D

beccabear67 likes this.
  11. Holerbot6000

I am a huge Hellboy comic fan even though Mike Mignola was a complete Ahole to me once at a convention. I also love the Guillermo version though I acknowledge it's considerably goofier than the comic. Something about the preview just looks off to me though. I am just not excited about it at all. I truly do hope my impression is wrong though.

alexpop likes this.
  12. Oatsdad

Oh, the 2019 "Hellboy" could well be terrible. I have no idea.

My point was that I doubt anyone here has actually seen it, so references to its awfulness seem premature.

And then launching a discussion about whether "Shazam" - another movie no one here is as bad - makes even less sense!

13. Holerbot6000

Haha - yes but speculating is what we DO here....:uhhuh:

Regginold31 and alexpop like this.
  14. Oatsdad

Sometimes, but I think it's silly to brand a movie as terrible when no one's seen it.

Sure, you can assume based on previews, but previews are often terrible indicators of actual quality.

I've seen plenty of good movies with bad trailers and vice versa.

I discard the opinion of anyone who says a movie sucks when they've not seen it. Even if you know you won't like it, you can't judge something you've never seen...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

You do realise other folk have opinions. ;)
    Trailers not your thang ?

16. Oatsdad

As I mentioned above: trailers are worthless in terms of film quality.

You've never seen a great trailer for a bad movie?

Claiming a movie is bad based on a 2-minute trailer makes zero sense.

If you've not seen the whole movie, then you shouldn't claim it's good/bad/etc...

SandAndGlass and GodShifter like this.
  17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

As I mentioned above ..everybody’s got a valid opinion. But ..there’s something off with that Hellboy trailer. I’m certainly not going to go out my way to see the film in the theatre.

18. MHS3

MHS3 "Long Live Rock'n'Roll"

Can't wait to see it.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  19. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

Stormrider77 and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  20. I think it looks like it could be pretty funny, in a PG sort of way. Will wait for the initial (proper) reviews, though.

GodShifter likes this.
  21. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Nonsense logic. You can't have an opinion on a film you haven't seen, it's really simple.

You can have an opinion on how good the trailer is but that can only be an opinion on the trailer not the finished film.

Most of your posts are barely a sentence and I struggle to understand most of them so if you are going to have an opinion at least explain yourself better and don't judge things you haven't seen.

Stormrider77, Oatsdad and GodShifter like this.
  22. Oatsdad

No one has a valid opinion of a movie they've not seen.

If you see "Hellboy" and/or "Shazam" and come tell us they stink, right on with that!

But saying "my opinion is valid even though I've just seen a trailer" doesn't work. That's not an opinion of the actual product - it's like hearing one song from an album and declaring the whole album stinks...

23. Oatsdad

I'll see it bad or good reviews - I see all the comic book movies, and with AMC A-List, it's "free".

I watched one scene from it today - the "Aquaman" Blu-ray includes an entire 2-minute scene, not just a trailer - and it's left me less than enthusiastic.

Still, unlike some in this thread, I'll watch the whole movie before I judge it...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. The movie is a superhero version of Big. It's not a pure adaptation of any prior Captain Marvel comics or cartoons, though it leans heavily on Geoff Johns' recent reboot of the entire Shazam family in DC Comics. This version of Doctor Sivana will be a little different if you are a long-time fan.

I've been a huge fan of Billy and the family for decades. I remember first hearing about a potential Captain Marvel movie...back in the early 1990s. New Line at one time wanted to make a Shazam movie.

skisdlimit and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  25. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.