Shellac 33's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rumdrums, Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rumdrums

rumdrums Member Thread Starter

Hello friends,

I was searching through a killer record shop in Austin today ( a treat for me, as I'm not from there). I picked up an old British 33 of Indian classical music. It is an LP, and it says it's a "microgroove flexible record," but it certainly ain't flexible, that's for sure. It looks and feels just like a shellac 78, which worries me when it comes to playing it with my AT440 needle. I don't want to ruin my needle... am I better off with a 78 needle on this record, or at least something with a heavier tracking weight than 1.4g?

I've been searching around for some more info on this, as I'm sure there were a lot of early 33's like this, but haven't had any luck. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks!!

2. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

like early KING (cinncinnnatti, OH) pressings, right? they are like glass

3. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

I would be careful about the AT440 shank on anything but a vinyl microgroove record. If unsure, consider an inexpensive conical 'DJ' stylus, if it worries you. As for using a 78 needle, you have to determine if the record is microgroove or non-microgroove.

There aren't many vinyl 33's like that, but occasionally you can find some that are like hard bakelite, or even shellac (one that I can count, and noisy too.)

4. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

While there were shellac LPs, you're very unlikely to find one. They were made by Columbia as experimental discs just after the war.

You've more likely found a heavy, different composition vinyl disc. They're heavy, stiff, and will break (as will any vinyl LP, save maybe Dynaflex but they too..) but they're not shellac.

They play fine with any stylus, really. Just quite noisy. Examples include those on the 'Crown' label. People joke they're made out of recycled poker chips.

5. rumdrums

What's funny is that the cover does say "flexible" on it in reference to the record. It feels *slightly* more flexible than a 78, but it's about as thick (maybe thicker) and very heavy... looking a bit more at the grooves, they do look more like modern LPs than 78s. Still, I'm leery, of course, and will probably put it to the side until I can put on an old needle I don't care about to try it out.

Thanks a lot! Anyone else come across these kind of LPs?

6. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

What label is it? That may offer a clue.

7. rumdrums

I think you posted this before I finished my last post. This makes a lot of sense and sounds correct. I'm still leery about playing it with my good needle, but I'll think about doing so after a couple thorough cleanings. For the record (pun?), the label is British, Ducretet-Thomson. No year on it, but I would figure it's some time in the 50s -- kinda funny, it says "Recorded under the Auspices of UNESCO" on the front.

8. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I've seen LPs that feel almost like bakelite plastic. Brittle and stuff, but certainly plastic.

dan c

9. JQW

JQW Forum Resident

Ducretet-Thomson were actually a French label.

At one point their catalogue was distributed in the UK via Decca, so Decca may have pressed some records on that label in the UK. Decca's early UK LPs were definitely pressed on rigid vinyl.

10. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

I have one I swear is a shellac LP, from 1949:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

I doubt it. Many early vinyl LP's are of very hard/thick construction, but definitely not shellac. I don't think you can press microgroove shellac anyway, it's far too gritty.

The record I referred to in post # 3 was 10" 33 1/3 rpm record, almost certainly shellac, and non-microgroove.

12. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

NBC Radio Transcriptions Discs were made of Shellac..they Read "33 1/3 RPM" ..Toscanin's "Messa Solennis" was on these,How do I Know? I'd had one of 'em,complete with the News Bumper of then!:righton:

13. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

Shellac composition varied widely as we all know. And the surfaces (and by extension the sound) of my record have me thinking it is shellac. It feels like a shellac disc and even 'rings' like one when gently tapped.

14. rumdrums

Hah, well now I'm thoroughly confused. I'm really thinking the disc I have is actually made of vinyl, since it bends very slightly, unlike my shellac 78s, which I wouldn't even try to do so with.

Still, if it were indeed a micro-groove shellac 33, which matters more for caring for modern needles: the material or the groove size? I'm imagining it's the grooves, but I'm no expert on anything.... And thanks much for the interesting discussion -- I love finding older, more unique stuff like this, the kind of discs that tend to get thrown in w/ the pile of old 78s and 45s under the racks at record stores.

15. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Don't Sit On My Jimmy Shands
    Written by Richard Thompson

When the party hit full swing
    I saw you come reeling in
    You had that six-pack in a stranglehold
    Now you stagger, now you sway
    Why don't you fall the other way
    'Cause I've got something here worth more than gold

I said "Don't sit on my Jimmy Shands
    Don't sit on my Jimmy Shands