SHF members, your current speaker cost, Poll Too.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tim 2, Jun 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE Thread Starter

One system, one pair of speakers, not including subs or cables please.

BayouTiger likes this.
  2. Tim 2

Er, no, I would have asked for a photo, approximate weight and if there'a a proactive security system. lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. siebrand

siebrand music lover

5/10.000 range. (Audiosonica Stonefly)
    Hoping you mean for a "pair" of speakers, it's not clear....
    I awn a pair of Sonus Faber Parva too, (range 1.000/3.000 and a pair of Ruark TallismanII 1.000/3.000)

specify what you want that we answer, THANKS!!

Tim 2 likes this.
  4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

i bought speakers that had excellent resale value and traded up over the years because the sound is the thing.

SandAndGlass, Echoes Myron and Tim 2 like this.
  5. timind

timind phorum rezident

Is this US, or Canadian dollars?;)

Tim 2 likes this.
  6. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

GBP £1,399.00 (new) as at Oct 2019 - Monitor Audio Gold 100 5G standmounts.

The equation was intended to be a balance between listening pleasure and budget. Never quite settled with the MAs so, depending upon the outcome of an imminent change of power amp(s) happening in the next couple of days (In: PS Audio Stellar S300; Out: 2x Emotiva Stealth PA-1 monos), I may be looking at replacing the speakers later this year. Likely options:

GBP £2400 - £2,799 Dynaudio Special Forty (old or new model)
    GBP £TBC (£750 to £1,500??) Q Acoustics - addition to the Concept range (new speakers in the pipeline)

Barring a lottery win, the likely budget limit will be GBP £3,000 (roughly US $3,750 at current rates) but, for that, there are plenty of options anyway. That said, I'd be smiling muchly if the Q Acoustics come out within the price range (unconfirmed) stated and turn out to be as fantastic as the majority of their other speakers have turned out to be.

Tim 2 likes this.
  7. Tim 2

I thought it would be easier if we used U.S. dollars, as Canuck dollars aren't worth anything.
    [​IMG]

timind and jonwoody like this.
  8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Looking up current prices is somewhat sobering, my main speakers would cost 10x what I paid to replace, I have had them for 25 years though.

timind and Tim 2 like this.
  9. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

I suppose subwoofer is included in the price?
    Mine were $4000 30 years ago, not sure where they would be today so I just took original price + subwoofer price.

Tim 2 likes this.
  10. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Gonna need a steak to bribe security:)

Dave, timind and Tim 2 like this.
  11. Tim 2

That will be gone in seconds, better include some beers. :pug:

Dave, timind and Glmoneydawg like this.
  12. Didn’t pay close attention. I checked the box of the range which I paid rather than retail. Got mine as “Demo’s” for less than half of initial retail. [shrug]

samurai and Tim 2 like this.
  13. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

1977 Klipsch Cornwall Decorators - 750 (craigslist) + 1K veneer and finish + 600.00 various Crites cast frame woofers, and other rebuild parts - close to 3K. Very happy.

Tim 2 likes this.
  14. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

thomaskong

M.R.Collins likes this.
  15. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

My Snell CII's retailed for about $1,300 thirty years ago. But since I was working for the dealer at the time, I was able to buy these for cost + 10%. But I'm guessing that these would sell for much more today, if these were still made.

I've definitely heard better speakers over the years, but only for many multiples of their retail price. Plus I really like these, so I've yet to find sufficient motivation to upgrade them. If I were to upgrade, some Sonus Fabre's would be pretty tempting. The problem is, those cost more than I can afford these days.

Tim 2 and timind like this.
  16. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

If my Quartets were made today I imagine they would be $3000 or so.

Tim 2 likes this.
  17. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Counting just the main pair of my 7.2 setup, speakers retail price is in 4th tier. This is how I responded to the poll.

However, I don't listen to just my main pair in my living room setup. I listen to stereo music using 7 speakers and 2 subs, with distances and levels properly setup by Marantz AV preamp, playing in Extended Stereo mode. Including the rest of speakers and subs, total retail price of my living room speakers set is in the mid 5th tier.

Tim 2 likes this.
  18. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

I paid what I did because I love the sound and it fit my budget and sense of "value". Isn't that pretty much everyone's answer?

Roycer, Tim 2 and IRG like this.
  19. Ringo

Ringo Forum Resident

Two years ago I'd just gotten my own place after spousal separation, decided to setup a true Hifi setup like I'd always wanted, albeit a modest one. Budgeted up to a grand for some compact towers. After obsessive research but no auditioning, ended up going with the Polk Signature S55. They're sooooo nice. Could not have had a better entry into the world of Hifi. Having experimented with placement and AVR settings (in the end I decided having all tone/EQ/Audyssey settings completely disabled was best for music) to get them dialed in perfectly, now when I set up shop in the stereo sweet spot, they absolutely sing. I get smooth, balanced sound with the phantom 3rd speaker right between, a soundstage with 3D width and depth depending on the recording, instruments are nicely separated, microdetail, can listen for hours with zero fatigue. Just a balanced, inviting sound. I sound like a Polk commercial, but really I'm just an incredibly satisfied customer. Got them paired with a SVS SB-1000 sub and it's a nice pairing.

I'd love one day to use these to build a BR system and upgrade the LR setup, but honestly I don't feel like I'm missing that much given the captivating & detailed sound I already have. I'd recommend them with zero reservations to anyone looking at entry level towers.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  20. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

List, or what I paid? Two different brackets

Tim 2 likes this.
  21. beep

beep Senior Member

My NHT 2.5i's cost over a thousand list when new in 1986 or so. I paid $400 a few years later and still find no need to update.

Tim 2 and timind like this.
  22. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

I am at about 1/2 of the first tier and am very satisfied and can't imagine needing to go much beyond tier one.

Tim 2 likes this.
  23. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Would have preferred the speakers to be better matched!

Actually I would be rather interested in the speakers age spread.

patrickd and Tim 2 like this.
  24. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

I'm visiting the cheap seats, with a pair of Dynaudios at about $800 or maybe even a little less. I'll eventually be able to move down to an unobstructed view, maybe something between $1-$3k, but I'll never be right over the dugout. I'll never get hit right in the face either, so I'm ok with that. Ugh, I need some sports soon...

Tim 2 likes this.
  25. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

List on my Dynaudio X44's was $5500. Got a smoking deal on them new in box for around $3800 including tax.

The reason I bought them is I've had their little brothers the X18's for a while and loved them in my small man cave.

Recently moved, and got a much bigger room. The bookshelfs weren't cutting it any more. Figured I'd get the big brothers and get bigger and better but similar sound. Man these things kick ass! No buyers remorse here...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    Dave, Tim 2, timind and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.