SHF members, your current speaker cost, Poll Too.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tim 2, Jun 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

I would get the Excites again too. I've got a small room, so they do well, especially with a sub. I really want to hear the Evokes, reviews have been great. And the Special 40's would be on my list too, sort of top of the $ range, but who knows...

Tim 2 and SirMarc like this.
  2. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

I like very much how my planar speakers sound, plus I really dig that they are custom made, by a dear friend, and absolutely beautiful and one of a kind. So I doubt I will have any inclination to upgrade any time soon.

Having said that, I have collected 3 free pairs of speakers during this lockdown: Axiom AX2 (very good two way!); Infinity Alpha 20 (pretty mediocre bookshelf, despite being bi-wireable); and some pretty good Pro Linear Stage 60 Series II (but butt ugly!). I've also got a free Bogen mono full range and a field coil 12", neither of which I've tested yet. These are all in addition to my other driver based speakers (Tannoy dual concentrics, a fab pair of Goodmans Minister bookshelfs, etc).

My point being, I still like hearing different speakers. It's like playing a different violin or electric guitar. I don't think I will ever be able to say no to free speakers.

Old Rusty, Ham Sandwich and Tim 2 like this.
  3. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

My Vandersteen Treo CTs cost about $8000 when I bought them. Being retired and living on a fixed income means that certain sacrifices must be made.

4. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

Very much in the low bracket here. Why? Because 8 years ago when I had moved most of the way back up the east coast and was getting ready to start school yet again and not have a job for a while, $500 seemed like a reasonable maximum to spend on a system for upstairs in our new house. That got me a Marantz 2250B ($320), a pair of Advent /1 speakers ($125) from a local hi-fi shop and a beat-up Onkyo CD player for $7 from a thrift store. I reused the turntable and cassette deck from the other system (in the living room of the old house, now hooked to the TV in the basement).

Just replaced the Marantz last week. Going to enjoy the differences in the sound between the two amps for a while before I start thinking about changing the speakers.

5. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

I'm currently having a heck of a good time acquiring / sampling extremely low cost (like free, or very close to it) speakers and subs and finding which match up best with which.

Speaker rolling if you'd like.

Really easy to do at the bottom end. Not something I'd like to try at the top end.

Jeff

Old Rusty and Tim 2 like this.
  6. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE Thread Starter

In what regard my friend ?

7. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

My Vandersteen 5As were $14,500 new, but they went up Into the twenties over the next ten years, and into the thirties when the carbon drivers were added.

They are my end game speaker until a pair of used Sevens are affordable!

macster and Tim 2 like this.
  8. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I was thinking about the Evoke 50's, but I wanted to go big. The X44's are much larger, and have dual 8 inch woofers as opposed to dual 7 inch woofers on the Evokes. I also find the X44's in rosewood to be the much better looking speaker.

Tim 2 likes this.
  9. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

One has a wooden lacquer finish the other cotton o_O and is taller.

patrickd likes this.
  10. Henrik_Swe

Henrik_Swe Well-Known Member

Just recently had the means to buy a decent system after having low budget equipment in the interim after moving from Sweden to the US. Back "home" (it's been 6 years) I had a pretty nice setup, couldn't bring it though cause of the difference in voltage (my Rotel amplifier would have needed to be rebuilt, so the Hegel DAC was the only thing I could bring). Got a pair of B&W 603's earlier this year for $1,700 and an integrated amplifier. I am a musician though and have pretty good monitors and headphones in my studio, which I've used for listening on occasion (not the same thing as a "regular" system though).

macster, timind and Tim 2 like this.
  11. Tim 2

Sounds like you've put together a nice system.
    Welcome to the SHF site by the way. :righton:

Henrik_Swe likes this.
  12. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Definitely the way to go if the opportunity presents itself.

Tim 2 and SoCalWJS like this.
  13. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

Under $1000. I'll need a bigger place and a bigger room before I get to the next tier. But for now my current speakers meet my expectations and deliver great sound.

Tim 2 likes this.
  14. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

More specifics please. Is it the current new or used replacement cost? Or the price paid? Or would it be the retail price when purchased? Case in point khorns currently retail for 12-14G's but I paid a mere fraction of that amount for mine a few years ago.

15. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I changed my vote to the 3rd bracket, now that a clarification was made that subs are excluded. I’m still assuming we mean US retail price at the time.

Tim 2 likes this.
  16. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Here is a pic of my $400 speakers.

[​IMG]

Tim 2 and Dave like this.
  17. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Nice, but I am not sure that listening position is optimal.

Tim 2 and M.R.Collins like this.
  18. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

The room is about 10 x 10 so I don't have any other choice. The equipment rack is on the left wall. Speakers are toed in aiming at my shoulders. I use the computer which is now a 2019 27" iMac as my audio source as my primary listening is Qobuz so I need it in the room. I did try using a Node 2i so I wouldn't need the computer in the room but didn't like the sound of it. I have an old Mac Book and have considered trying that out and moving the desk and computer out of the room.

Tim 2 likes this.
  19. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Hi Tim,

My speakers - AVI ADM 9RSS actives - cost £1500 at their as new price. The newer model, which I don't have (DM10) came in at £2000. AVI used to sell direct to customers, so you were able to benefit from not having the dealer margin (which added about £500 given I could, or could have, spent more but am lucky enough to be around at a time when genuinely great audio has never been cheaper or more accessible across a multitude of formats.

So my music listening is based around a system that cost - to me - barely £750. I use the Sony CDP-911E more often than not these days and the pairing with the AVIs is just magical. Throw in my much loved Cambridge 752BD, you're *just* at £1000, a bit over. Add the turntable and it's about £1350 with the cartridge. Cables add about £350 to that. Tops. So £1700 and I'd need to blow £000s to better it. These days, I just enjoy the music, as ever, and I totally respect those guys that choose to buy the very high end gear.

Tim 2 likes this.
  20. Tim 2

Hi. Yes U.S. dollars, that was also brought up a page or two ago. :righton:
    Wow, five people over $50,000.

21. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

My front speakers retail for $85,000 in the States and my rear speakers for $40,000.

However, I bought them ex-demo and paid £35,000 for the fronts and £15,400 for the rears.

Tim 2 likes this.
  22. Toneboner

Toneboner Forum Resident

I’ve got a pair of GoldenEar Triton 1.Rs in my main listening room. They retailed for $6K when I got them, I think they’ve since gone up. They blew away anything in that price range and beyond for speakers that I tested. Love the ribbon tweeters. My second set up is a set of B&W 685S2 bookshelf which I bought many years ago, retail $500.

BayouTiger and Tim 2 like this.
  23. LeBud

LeBud Born to be mild

I put what I had paid for on the used market ... my bad.
    But if I were to buy the latest version of my Nola's brand new, it would cost about 3x more... ouch.

Tim 2 likes this.
  24. Bryan T

Bryan T Forum Resident

I have $7k speakers that I got used for under a grand. So stoked!

Tim 2, timind and macster like this.
  25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I know of a few more members in that range that aren't in the poll.

SandAndGlass and Tim 2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.