Shipping Costs from USA to UK

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by emjel, Oct 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emjel

emjel Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’ve heard that since the pandemic, shipping costs around the world have gone up considerably. Someone wants to charge $60 to ship a double 180gm album via UPS…they only use UPS. This is basically twice the price of the album. Can anyone on here who has shipped to the U.K. in recent months using this service advise whether $60 for package and shipping is excessive as on top of that, I would be liable for 20% vat on the whole package meaning the purchase would effectively cost about $110. Thanks.

2. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I don’t know the answer per se, but I was just looking at some UK 45s and the shipping for a single 45 from the UK to the US seemed to be running about $25.

emjel likes this.
  3. emjel

Crikey…$25 for a single.

4. DM333

DM333 Forum Resident

That sounds about right, I brought an LP from acoustic sounds and I live in the uk. postage and import fees were about $80. These are crazy prices, but in my case the vinyl was still $30 cheaper than the uk retail price

emjel likes this.
  5. Joe Lopez

Joe Lopez Forum Resident

I think the US post office eliminated any means of international shipping cheaper than Global Priority Mail some time ago and, having done so, the private shippers like UPS and FedEx no longer had much incentive to keep costs down. As a result, it now seems to be significantly less expensive to ship TO the US than FROM it.

Just yesterday, I ordered 3 LP’s from EIL in the UK, and the shipping (Royal Mail airmail without tracking) came to £12.60, not cheap but not eye rolling either. I don’t think there’s a comparably priced option from the US to UK any longer.

6. emjel

Thanks for that. I just bit the bullet and ordered to avoid losing the item - £80 for a double vinyl…..but hey ho. At least and as far as I know, UPS don’t charge that annoying £8 like Royal Mail do, just to inform you there is an import fee to pay.

7. Mr. Afternoon

Mr. Afternoon Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, shipping prices have gone up a lot!
    Kinda brings down sales, considering most audiophile releases need to be charged more depending on what format it is on, making you spend more than you normally would.

8. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

You are essentially getting ripped off by an ignorant US based seller who is not up on superior, less expensive options to send items to international addresses.

I would charge you exactly $20.98 to send a double LP 180 gram pressing album to the UK (assuming the the total parcel weight was between 1.1 to 2.0 pounds... if the total parcel weight was between 2.1 to 3.0 pounds, I would charge you $26.98.)

I would charge you these much lower prices than what you are presently getting hosed with because, unlike other sellers (who are either ignorant of just shysters), I would use Pirate Ship online postage mailing service and their "Simple Export Rate" service.

Any seller in the US not using Pirate Ship is going to charge you unnecessarily higher prices to ship items to you. Tell them to use Pirate Ship and that company's "Simple Export Rate" service or tell them to p*** off if they refuse to accommodate you.

Mr. Afternoon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.