Should I see The Black Keys or The War on Drugs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gdpeck, Sep 27, 2022.

1. gdpeck

gdpeck Forum Resident Thread Starter

On Monday 10/10 both The Black Keys and The War on Drugs are playing separate concerts in Phoenix. The Black Keys are playing at Ak-Chin Pavillion (20k capacity generic shed). The War on Drugs is playing at the Van Buren (2k capacity standing room only room converted from an old car dealership). I've never seen either band but would like to see both.

My listening tastes start with classic rock, Grateful Dead and other jam bands, a tiny bit of jazz, and blues rock bands like the Allman Brothers.

Bands I've seen live and enjoyed in the last year include Phish, Tedeschi Trucks Band, Tool, Puscifer, Dave Matthews Band, Tame Impala, and Airborne Toxic Event.

I've listened to quite a bit of The War on Drugs and much less Black Keys. If I decide Black Keys it will mostly be based on recommendations from people who have told me I should see them. A War on Drugs decision would be based on a cursory knowledge and great fondness for their music.

So which would should I see? I'm open to suggestions, especially from people who have seen both, but would love to hear thoughts of people who've only seen one or the other too.

Making this decision really is the best problem I've had in months! Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

2. Miles1968

Miles1968 The years just pass like trains

I like both bands, and sadly haven't seen either.

I would go with TWoD. It sounds like you are more familiar with their music, and I would always prefer a smaller venue, unless it has particular issues.

Whichever you chose enjoy :righton:

gdpeck likes this.
  3. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

The War on Drugs

4. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

I have seen the Black Keys four times and I have never heard anything by The War On Drugs. I would choose the smaller venue show. Sheds are generally bad because of the shed part - the roof. Built in case of rain but never helps the sound. Your post made me want to listen to the War On Drugs.

5. urbanhymns

urbanhymns I’m a big name in deep space — ask your mates

Take this with the usual grain of salt, but I’d vote The War On Drugs.

And if you remember, come back and tell us how it was!

gdpeck likes this.
  6. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

If you are a fan of Dire Straits album "On Every Street ", go see the War on Drugs :)

footlooseman and bloodlemons like this.
  7. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Pick the best venue. I’d bet both will be great, and they’ll both probably be back.

footlooseman likes this.
  8. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

9. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

War On Drugs. Have a good time at the small place. Mega venues suck these days. Just checked, Ak Chin Pavilion was Desert Sky Pavilion, that place is awful, and hard to access. Run away ! And while on the subject, avoid Talking Stick Resort Arena, used to be America West, worst acoustics I have ever heard. Walked out on CSNY the sound was so bad.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  10. The last few Keys albums aren't very interesting IMO. The recent Drugs album is fantastic.

gdpeck likes this.
  11. bad_penny

bad_penny Forum Resident

I've seen both, but it has been awhile. I know the Black Keys tour isn't selling well, so that 20K venue is going to be somewhat empty and may have some influence on the show. It also doesn't help that Dan and Patrick hate each other. Maybe The War On Drugs is the better option.

12. Amoepe

Amoepe Forum Resident

The War On Drugs. Fantastic live band.

Stone Turntable and gdpeck like this.
  13. Jason_Rhino

Jason_Rhino Forum Resident

The War on Drugs 100%

gdpeck likes this.
  14. Fletcher MH

Fletcher MH Forum Resident

And another vote for The War on Drugs

15. gdpeck

I'm more of a "Love Over Gold" fan. I've never been able to get into "On Every Street" for some reason. Does this advice still apply? :D
    I've been to 5 shows at Ak-Chin in a little over a year. I've gone from completely hating it to being able to tolerate. But it is a slog to get there from where I live, and that is a big consideration.
    Talking Stick has been renamed again to "Footprint Center" I have heard good sound there (U2 Innocence + Experience). I've also heard great sound there (Tool - Fear Innoculum). Most of the time it is mediocre to bad. Not the worst I've heard though. Vivint Arena in SLC (used to be Delta Center) takes that prize.

I appreciate all the input here. I've decided to go for TWOD.

16. dockofthebay

dockofthebay Forum Resident

War on Drugs... I know you already decided, but just backing you up.

Black Keys feel like a band that will continue indefinitely, War on Drugs feels more fragile, you may never get another chance.

Miles1968 and gdpeck like this.
  17. sans_matty

sans_matty Forum Resident

The Black Keys are truly one of the least exciting live experiences I have ever encountered. And for a band that is 50% drummer, he's kind of a disappointment.

18. gdpeck

Great feedback! Thank you. Would you mind sharing an example of a more exciting live experience, just so I have context?

19. sans_matty

sans_matty Forum Resident

Its just as simple as connecting with the audience (smaller venues help with that), interactions, story telling. First and foremost looking like they want to be there playing a show for you. Black Keys just kind of ran through their set and said good night. Meh.

gdpeck likes this.
  20. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Black Keys are (were) a good band for a much smaller venue, I saw them once at an 800 capacity club, and that's the kind of venue they're best for. Their style/vibe just does not fit huge venues - they're no Muse.

jumpinjulian and fourfeathers like this.
  21. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Solid choice.

22. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

The War On Drugs.
    They are incredible live, and a band currently at their peak- this is usually impossible to recapture the magic of a moment in time when a band is really hitting their stride.
    The Black Keys were quite dull the 2 or 3 times I’ve seen them.

Crimson Witch and gdpeck like this.
  23. Humbler

Humbler Forum Resident

We saw WOD last night. You won't be disappointed.

gdpeck likes this.
  24. Teufelzkerl

Teufelzkerl Forum Resident

I'm the opposite, the last two BK albums are very good, but TWOD couldn't flash me with their latest effort.
    That said I did see them live in Spring and the concert was fantastic! So they have my live vote. Never saw TBK though (wonder if they ever toured Germany at all).