Should I Upgrade This Schiit?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Leonthepro, Mar 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic Thread Starter

Well since everyone else is posting upgrade threads I might as well make mine now too. Simply put, should I be looking towards a Schiit Mani like Ive done for a while now? My RP1 will also be replaced with something like a Technics SL1200 but the tricky part is knowing how good my current pre amp is compared to the Mani.

Setup:

• Rega RP1 with Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge (Although at some point a better deck like a Technics)
    • Cyrus 2 Amplifier with intergrated Phono stage for MM and MC.
    • System Fidelity SF-3050 Tower Speakers
    • Custom made HQ speaker cables
    And no sneaky looks at just the vintage prices to evaluate my components if you dont know them ;^)
    I would more so like to hear the thoughts of people that are somewhat familiar with what I have.
    If not the Mani then please do suggest other options.

For more setup info check my profile page.

Thanks!

2. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Mani has no midrange. See Fremer poll. Save a little more and get a Lounge LCR III. Good luck. :)

weavzy likes this.
  3. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

My advice: buy the best you can afford. Skip entry level if you can. You are already planning a better table and a better cart. If you buy an entry level like the Mani you'll regret and need another upgrade soon. Even if the phono stage overwhelm the rest of your system, go for it. Someday everything else will be at its level.

Also you should keep in mind a good matching of turntable, cartridge and phono for a good working together system. Considering that, go for the best.

Nephrodoc likes this.
  4. Leonthepro

While I appreciate it this seems like a very blanket statement. On your system it might lack mid range while on mine it wont. Thats why Id like to hear peoples opinion mostly on the overall compatibility. Maybe I will get too much mid range with the LCR.

5. Leonthepro

The last part is what Im mostly wondering, and how my Cyrus 2 compares. Hope someone has some insight into that.

6. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Schitt is not just a funny name. It's a fairly accurate description of their customer service.

7. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Plenty of threads on the Mani here and reviews online. In my opinion, it’s fantastic and punches way above its price class. There’s nothing wrong with its midrange.

8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

You own one? :)

9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

JEJPU! :shake:

punkmusick likes this.
  10. Helom

Helom Forum member

I once emailed them a question around 2:00 am on a Saturday morning and got a response within 30 min.

BayouTiger, npc210, walrus and 2 others like this.
  11. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

It’s in my profile. I’ve owned one for several years, with different turntables.

12. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

I own a Schiit Mani and a Nagaoka MP-110. Individually, they did not sound bad but not really much of an upgrade to other entry level gear I own. But when I run the Nagaoka through the Schiit Mani I think they sound really good together, it just seems to work.
    No idea how it would compare to a Cyrus 2 though, wasn't that a well regarded unit in its day?

Leonthepro likes this.
  13. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

I have a Mani, and posted an upgrade thread a few days ago.
    It’s a decent starter phono, I have not had any issues with mine. They are great to deal, I am fortunate that their store is just a few miles from my house.

I chose it above other budget phonos at the time. I am not familiar with your amp, so can’t say if it sounds better.

Leonthepro likes this.
  14. Leonthepro

What?

15. Leonthepro

[​IMG]
    Are you like the first person to actually read my post?
    And yes, the Cyrus was respectable as my dealer told me and for the money a good deal when I got it, thats why Im wondering.

16. blakep

blakep Senior Member

The Cyrus 2 is probably the strongest component in your system and the internal phono on it is probably very respectable if it is original.

If I were you (and I am a big proponent of the importance of the front end with a vinyl based system), I would probably upgrade in this order and purchase used to get the biggest bang for the buck:

1) Speakers. Definitely first.
    2) Turntable and arm second, retaining your cartridge
    3) Upgrade the stylus/cantilever on the Nagaoka

Only then would I consider upgrading to an external phono stage and at that point in time, consideration would have to be given to the table and arm at hand and whether you were ultimately happy with it or whether you felt you might want to further upgrade the table, arm and cartridge at that time.

The quality of the table, arm and cartridge would factor in heavily (at least with me) as to how far I would want to go with a phono stage but a smart purchase in the table and arm department should have you shooting well above the Mani IMO, again probably shopping the used market.

I doubt seriously the Mani would be a significant improvement over the phono board in the Cyrus.

Doc Diego and Leonthepro like this.
  17. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Not very polite to all the others who answered trying to help.

Leonthepro likes this.
  18. Leonthepro

Sorry, it was just the first to adress my main questions ;^)

19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Synergy is everything. :edthumbs:

ls35a likes this.
  20. Leonthepro

This is some good info, I expected the internal phono stage to be of decent quality but not the Cyrus 2 being the best component in my system. And even more surprising are the speakers. I thought they were the best and last to be upgraded.

The main shortcomings I find in the system right now are the nagging irritations with the RP1, inconsistent speeds and lack of grounding options mostly and a wider and more accurate soundstage. I assumed the phono stage could make the biggest difference because of it.

21. Old Audiophool

Old Audiophool Forum Resident

I totally disagree, I have returned a few items and upgraded, absolutely no problems. Quick and easily done, no questions from them at all. A fiend just purchased a Freya Pre, and after 3 weeks 1 of the 4 tubes developed noises, he called and they over-nighted a brand new quad of updated tubes, no questions asked. Now that's what I call superior customer service. Ans the new tubes sound better.

walrus, Leonthepro and Doc Diego like this.
  22. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

I agree. When I had a few questions, they emailed me back on the weekend within a few hours.
    The things I don’t like about them is their return policy and the lack of demo/loaner units.

23. Doc Diego

Doc Diego Forum Resident

[QUOTE

The main shortcomings I find in the system right now are the nagging irritations with the RP1, inconsistent speeds and lack of grounding options mostly and a wider and more accurate soundstage. I assumed the phono stage could make the biggest difference because of it.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you really need to prioritize the turntable upgrade. I have a Mani in my gym system and it sounds great but the source is where I would put my money.

24. Leonthepro

Sounds like you really need to prioritize the turntable upgrade. I have a Mani in my gym system and it sounds great but the source is where I would put my money.[/QUOTE]
    You are right. Although I know with good enough certainty what difference the table could make. Im not so sure about the pre amp though.

25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Can't really compare the Mani to a phono preamp I've never heard. The main issue with the Mani is RFI if you live close to radio stations. That's why I had to sell mine. Otherwise no real complaints, though I do prefer the sound of my MOFI Studio Phono to the Mani overall. The MOFI unit is also a lot quieter in my system than the Mani. The other phono pre I am currently using on a second TT is a Rega Fono Mini A2D. No complaints on that unit but it can be a bit polite sounding IMHO, not nearly as lively as the Mani or StudioPhono.

I think if you pair the Mani with a warm sounding cart things will balance out fairly well. A detailed, or bright leaning cart might not be the best match with the Mani for some people though that may depend on personal taste and the tonality of one's speakers.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.