Should The Beatles' A Hard Day's Night Be Colorized for a New Generation To Enjoy?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 2141, Oct 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Sure they do. I was just talking to a bunch of millennials, as one does, and they all told me they couldn't even make it through the beginning of "The Wizard of Oz".

showtaper, Haristar and bherbert like this.
  2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

If this new audience are so narrow minded that they can't appreciate something from an era when things were done differently than what they are used too, then sod them! Why should they be pandered too?

I saw A Hard Days Night for the first time in the late 80s in my early teens. I also saw it in the cinema in the late 90s. I loved it. No colouring or remixing needed. I also loved Laurel and Hardy when I was very young and preferred them in black and white. Why are today's young generation presumed to be incapable of the same?

3. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Don't know about colorization but surely all Beatles albums including the soundtrack album for AHDN need to be remixed and NoNoised for up to date sonics.

4. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: A better suggestion might be to convert "Help" into black & white.

RubenH, Jakealdrich5 and 2141 like this.
  5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Why not get Drake and Cardi B to add some raps and beats while we're at it?

6. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Sure. Right after they do the same to Citizen Kane.
    o_O

7. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

What part of NO don't you understand?

The film was not done in B&W "on the cheap". They knew it would make big money no matter how it was shot. It was the producer's decision. Let it be!

8. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

9. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

10. 2141

2141 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well to be fair, it's not just younger folks, I myself would like to see it in color. In my mind this does not take away anything from the original. It's great and people will always appreciate the original black and white. But, it could be very nice to see the Fabs in AHDN in color. Doesn't Help! look good in color? The studio only made this move B/W to save costs. That's it. So again, just like the new remixes, it's just another option, not any disparagement on the original.

11. Absolutely No! It'll be a Frankenstein movie if so...

12. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

I think your idea of youngsters is just plain wrong. The few who'll have an interest will check it in black and white without problems.
    For all the others, I don't see why color would be needed to lure a generation that watches digitally shot and post-producted movies.

Tuco, VQR and joeislive like this.
  13. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

14. 2141

Absolutely not true. Please do your research.

15. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Yes, absolutely

We've had the original for more than 50 years, so why not?

Also, I'd love to have the remixed album in stereo and 5.1
    To me, one of the top 5 Beatles album

:righton:

[​IMG]

16. 2141

17. smiecz

smiecz Sentient Being

"The director, Richard “Dick” Lester has said for years (and he said at the time, as well) that the black and white approach was one that they went with from the beginning as an artistic approach – the film was to be a mock documentary “day in the life” of the Beatles, and as a result, it called for the same style of ACTUAL documentaries and news coverage of the Beatles which, in 1964, was in black and white."

Was A Hard Day’s Night Filmed in Black and White to Save Money?

18. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Why would modern day youngsters watch it? Most young people have no interest in listening to the Beatles’ music let alone watching their films.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  19. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Yeah sure. The steam train should be replaced with a Pendolino while they are at it.

spindly likes this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've nothing against the idea of seeing it in colour. A great job was done in the mid 90s colourising the All You Need Is Love footage on the Anthology and technology has progressed massively since then. But the idea of doing it because millennials won't watch it otherwise is just wrong. I don't believe that's the case anyway. I know young kids who love history and watch 60s Doctor Who, love The Beatles, play vinyl and love A Hard Day's Night as it is. Admittedly, only a couple of my friends sons!

I think perhaps they should colourise the songs and then they could be used as music videos, but doing the whole film seems a step too far. Patti Boyd in colour can only be good thing though.

TaumpyTears, edenofflowers and RickH like this.
  21. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Rule of thumb is that thread titles which are questions always have the answer no.

There are exceptions but not this one!

Tim

22. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

If it can be done well, I say go for it! Why not? Put it theatres and hype it up. I'd go see it.

Zoot Marimba, Fullbug, Royce and 4 others like this.
  23. 2141

Absolutely. To each his own. But why not have a color version to choose from?

Royce likes this.
  24. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Why not? After all, the Beatles invented Technicolor.

waterface, VQR, Fullbug and 2 others like this.
  25. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

Yes, absolutely. I'm in my 50s and I can't watch anything in black and white.

Royce, 2141 and bherbert like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.