Should The Beatles' A Hard Day's Night Be Colorized for a New Generation To Enjoy?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 2141, Oct 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Criterion hasn't taken the 4K leap, and I'm skeptical that they ever will.

Too much of a niche of a niche for them, though small labels like Arrow have made it work, so... maybe?

Big Blue likes this.
  2. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I agree. I do now want to see a version of AHDN with a techno score, though.

Oatsdad likes this.
  3. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I don’t think they need to. The 4K restorations on regular HD Blu-ray look fantastic. I can’t imagine improvement from that.

4. Oatsdad

With 4K UHD, the biggest improvement tends to be from HDR. Obviously that wouldn't help the colors of "AHDN" - not unless the OP gets his wish! :laugh: - but whites, blacks and contrast would get a boost.

But yeah... "AHDN" is a movie that I suspect won't look substantially better as a 4K disc.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't want to see it, but I don't think it'd be revelatory...

5. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yeah, I am specifically talking about black and white films they have done, at least the ones I have watched (as I believe I said previously, I have not seen their AHDN restoration; my one and only viewing of this film was on VHS…). It may also help that I am watching on an OLED, so whites, blacks, and contrast look virtually perfect.

6. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I inherited my grandfather's Big Band Memories box. It has reprocessed stereo versions of Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Artie Shaw, Bennie Goodman, etc (on Dynaflex, no less). It didn't make me appreciate big band music more. I wish it were mono.

I wonder if he liked the reprocessed stereo.

7solqs4iago, Big Blue and Oatsdad like this.
  7. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

O+
    You know friend, it's not so much what you say, your underlying points, about colorization being inevitable, or how one group has no right to dictate what another group chooses or has a right to see. All that is ok. But the nasty demeaning way you talk down to & about "people all in their 70s," & " people that will all be dead" & " this won't be marketed to you"

The way you speak about & stereotype older fans or people is ghastly. You also make it seem that your personal opinions are facts, when they are just your opinions. You complain about old fans trying to control future Beatles product but you seem to be trying to control older fans in the very way you complain about in your post. You also talk about older people as if they or their opinions are less valuable than younger people. You even seek to define what 'older' means as people "people in their 70s" which of course isin't true either. Ringo Starr I believe is 81 years old. And a Beatles fan. But from your definition Ringo is no longer a person or a fan because he is older than all old people in their 70s. Maybe you have some kind of weird George Orwell style euthanasia plan for People like Ringo that are older than all the old people in their 70s. Or maybe you will just pass a law forbidding old people from having opinons.

Besides all that, the people that actually own the rights for altering Beatles films will decide what is or is not done. Even if they are partially or entirely old people. If you had made the same remarks & substituted old people & used black people or gay people or asian people or female people or short people, they would have suspended or banned you from here per the policies & rules & I couldn't agree more.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  8. Greg(ory)

Greg(ory) Some Stupid With A Space Gun

they should colorize the first part of Wizard of Oz first

Evethingandnothing likes this.
  9. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Maybe they can have the first section of A Hard Days Night in b&w and when they get to London it goes colour.

10. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

I think not but I'd hate to spoil other people's enjoyment. I prefer to listen to Pet Sounds in mono but I can appreciate the stereo version.

2141 and Ricardo Cosinaro like this.
  11. Greg(ory)

Greg(ory) Some Stupid With A Space Gun

that sounds pretty cool

12. ToEhrIsHuman

ToEhrIsHuman Forum Resident

Recent rumors state otherwise: Criterion 4K UHD coming…

13. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Since your first comment about people who saw it when it released are all in their 70s now is not true, I didn't bother with the rest of it.
    I was almost 7 in 1964 and I'll be 64 (thank you) very soon. I saw it the first week it was out and thanks to my big brother for that. My kids weren't 1o yet when they saw it and still quote it.
    "He's very clean."

14. lordcat

lordcat Forum Resident

Yes, it's not a film I can actually watch, maybe in colour I would.
    And it won't erase the B&W one!

15. Oatsdad

Please note that my prior post was extremely wishy-washy. I said I was skeptical about Criterion 4K but also said "maybe".

I covered all those bases! :laugh:

ToEhrIsHuman likes this.
  16. A thousand times NO!

17. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

Only if both versions get the Lucas Star Wars treatment! :hide:

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  18. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Colorizing isn't analogous to remixing.

If A Hard Day's Night had been filmed in color, but technical limitations of the day forced United Artists to put out the film in black & white, then I'd say go ahead and put out the color version now that better equipment is out there. That would be more of an analogy to remixing an album that originally came out with a bunch of reduction mixes on it.

19. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

No, it would be like colorizing Paper Moon.

20. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Why not go further and dub them so they sound like the following:
    • John Lennon: Vegeta from Dragonball Z
    • Paul McCartney: Freddy Jones from Scooby Doo, Where Are You?
    • George Harrison: John Stewart from Justice League
    • Ringo Starr: Patrick Starr from Spongebob Squarepants

21. lahtbp

lahtbp Forum Resident

22. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I honestly don't care one way or the other, but I still don't believe that there's a significant audience for this sort of thing. Even if it were colorized, A Hard Day's Night would still feel like a relic from another era to younger audiences.

What ever happened to Modern Dad? He was promising us that the Peter Jackson WWI film was going to usher in a new wave of colorized goodies for the masses.

23. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I would be interested in a poll for the perceived target group of this to see what their views are on colourising old films.

I don't really have a view either way - I would continue to watch the original but would happily buy a colour version put of curiosity.

24. JohnJ

JohnJ Forum Resident

Do we think more people would watch Schindler's List if it was in colour?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.