Should we close our Audio Hardware section, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

We have a unique situation here at the SH Forums. We have audiophiles, record and CD collectors, rich, poor, in-between, students, teens, old fogies, all kids of people with all kinds of priorities about their music.

We have had a number of complaints recently about the constant bitching that goes on in our Audio Hardware section of the SH Forums, many have asked that it be closed. I personally feel that it should remain here. Arguing is a just a part of Internet Forums, so be it. Some people are objecting to the constant bickering brought on by the same few people but it doesn't bother me.

It's fun to talk about the gear, or should be.

So what is your opinion, please? Much appreciated.

2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Keep it on Steve - I am happy not to post in cable related threads, or maintain neutral or positive comments in this section. Not an issue.

3. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Steve - its inevitable. Look at the thread in the Music section for Radiohead...best ever thread - that has some contentious spirit to it as well.

These 'bitch fests' are cyclical - but overall I enjoy the h/w section - the good outweighs the negative.

4. chazz101s

chazz101s Forum Resident

What is music in all its glory without something to play it on?

Steve, the forum is a magical resource. We need data about audio hardware too. Please keep the Hardware category.

5. tubbyslion

tubbyslion Forum Resident

The negativity is trouble/tire-some, but the wealth of experience and positive advice outweighs it. I've learned a lot from a number of people, and would be sorry to see this section go.

6. appledan

appledan Resident Rockist

I think it should remain open. I've learned so much over the years by reading the posts in this section. However, I feel that there could be a little more extra moderation effort and maybe some rules put in place for this section. Some of those cable and jitter threads get out of hand but make for fun reading and entertainment.

7. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

I find the Audio Hardware section to be very useful, in general. More pros than cons.

Plus if you close it, then the threads will just travel over to Music or Off-Topic. :)

8. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Perhaps shut it down for 3 months- maybe that would weed out some of the people that can't seem to stop fighting in them. Within 3 months they will have found other sites to spin their agenda in and won't come back when it reopens.

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Leave it open. I don't visit it much, but I still think it should be here.

Besides, if you close it, the same sorts of threads will still open - they'll just be in "Off-Topic" instead.

(Unless you explicitly ban audio hardware discussions, which would seem odd for a thread essentially meant for audiophiles...)

10. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I agree. I could never afford some of the gear that others can, but I enjoy reading about it, and I do enjoy the discussion of the lower-end products that I may possibly buy for myself.

11. Chazz

Chazz Music Addict

I think the Hardware category should stay. I have learned more over the past 6 years reading honest opinions (good and bad) about equipment than reading magazine reviews. You're going to have the bitching no matter what category you leave open, it's the nature of the beast.

12. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

I really enjoy he hardware section Steve... Please let's not let a few people who have forgotten this is supposed to be fun spoil it for the majority.

13. Natt

Natt Forum Resident

I've found really good gear and media storage advice in the hardware section. Keep it.

14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Are these arguing members being suspended ? If yes, and they return to their old ways, then ban them. I understand the concept of repeat offenders, but teach them there are consequences for their actions. Don't make everyone suffer for the actions of a few.

15. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I vote for keeping it open. Over the years a few hardware related threads have been helpful for me. I generally only check out threads for equipment I own or would like to own, so I've probably missed the problematic posts -- but those sorts of posts can occur in any of the sections here.

16. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

No. It's way too valuable and entertaining.

17. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

It has helped me find my Oppo BD player, and new AV receiver--both of which I am very happy with, and hooked me up with a great place that reworked my main speakers.

So, I very positively say no.

18. fitzrik

fitzrik Forum Resident

Well it looks like an overwhelming leave it open, thank god! Its probably the section I now read most frequently. And there's no more bitching here than in the music section. Or than the internet in general in fact.

I read tennis.com and the comments there are incredibly narrow minded and annoying.

19. Snashforce

Snashforce Living Stereo

Leave it open, of course.

"many have asked that it be closed"

If they don't like hardware discussions they don't have to participate. Simple.

Too bad they complain and ask for removal of the section.

Fighting bitching with bitching! :sigh:

I like the hardware section. It's a great resource.

20. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

I'm actually trying to think what the problematic posts might have been (I frequent the Hardware section heavily). Not that I expect a reply of course, more rhetorical.

There is a lot of heated discussion about CD's / vinyl / lossless / lossy and even ABX tests do come up, which I know is drawing the line on the rules. Everyone has an opinion, myself included - but we have heated discussions in the Music section as well.

I think the biggest issue is that some people seem to forget how subjective all this is. There's a big difference between "I don't like lossy files and prefer vinyl" to "All lossy files suck and people who buy them are idiots". As long as we can all agree that it's all subjective, even hardware and software items, the better of we'll all be imo.

21. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

Please let it open. It is extremely useful, even more for people from outside US or UK...
    Simply bitching people can be banned, if necessary

22. sloopjohnb

sloopjohnb Forum Resident

The Audio Hardware is one of the most informative, entertaining, and crucial elements of the SH Forums. Please keep the Audio Hardware section open.

If I read about a piece of equipment in a magazine or online review, I always check the Audio Hardware section for members view points and opinions.

Some people just like to bitch and some people like to create problems, I think the Audio Hardware section is too IMPORTANT and full of GOOD information to close it.

It is like an on-line library that I cherish and refer to daily

LONG LIVE THE AUDIO HARDWARE SECTION!!!!!

woody

23. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Nope. The thread that I read here last year was one of the reasons I decided to buy a Fisher 500C.

24. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I find it useful for questions regarding vinyl-related accessories, plus someday soon I'll need a new CD player.

Please don't close the whole section, just close the threads that turn nasty.

25. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

Open up a sub-forum for cable discussion only. Keep it separate from the hardware forum. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.