Shrinking (Apple TV)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jeff Kent, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident Thread Starter

Watched the first two episodes of this last night. It's equal parts comedy and tragedy, extremes of both actually. I laughed out loud a bunch of times and got teary eyed more than once.

It's about a psychiatrist dealing with the death of his wife while losing compassion for his patients and trying to repair a broken relationship with his daughter.

2. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Caught the first episode and thought it was pretty good. I will definitely check out the whole run. Nice to see Harrison Ford breaking into TV with this show and 1923.

3. Jeff Kent

He seems to have slipped into the grumpy old man role pretty easily.

4. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Ha! Indeed. One review I saw said he's essentially just playing himself :laugh:

Myke likes this.
  5. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

I watched both episodes and felt the second was considerably better than the first, which isn’t unusual with a first season. I’ll keep watching.

6. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

Feels like a more sitcom version of In Treatment. While not earth shattering, I enjoy it.

7. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I’m always up for anything Jason Segel and this didn’t disappoint. Some really strong emotions and a great soundtrack.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  8. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I must say I am really enjoying this -- and Harrison Ford is surprisingly excellent in it! I also enjoy Christa Miller, though her role really is somewhat similar to that on "Cougar Town".

9. Jeff Kent

The speed of the dialogue is very reminiscent of The Gilmore Girls.

10. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Looks good. I like the actors in this one...

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  11. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

12. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

This show is a blast! The cast and the writing are outstanding.

13. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I kind of like it, but my wife loves it.

The writers seem lazy, bombarding us with f bombs and hip phrases. If you took all that out, you'd be left with a bland feel-good sitcom.

14. pghmusiclover

“Feel good” really? We must have different definitions of that term!

15. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

The most recent episode was probably the worst of the lot so far. I can overlook the constant sex talk and profanity if there are other redeeming qualities but that episode had none. The daughter is intolerable and Gaby’s story wasn’t interesting, funny, insightful, or realistic at all. It was just another excuse to be profane. I like the Sean character but he had no role in this episode. And Harrison Ford is too good for this. I think I’m done.

Boom Operator likes this.
  16. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Sure. In every episode, the characters learn a valuable life lesson about how to deal with adversity, other people, etc.

17. 312elements

312elements Forum Resident

I think it’s fantastic and oddly relatable. I also love that at 80, Harrison Ford is having a bit of an encore. I almost feel like we’ve all been missing out for the last 20 years without him in our lives.

I’m a Bill Lawrence fan (Ted Lasso, scrubs, cougartown). I feel like with his earlier sitcom stuff he was constrained by broadcast television rules and this Apple partnership has really let him spread his wings.

pghmusiclover and forthlin like this.
  18. pghmusiclover

I never watched "Scrubs", but I always felt "Cougar Town" was an underrated gem. I only started watching it mid-way through its' run, but watched the entire series during the early days of the Covid lockdown!

I'm happy this was renewed for a second season.

312elements likes this.
  19. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Agreed. Segel will never win an Oscar or wow anyone with his range as an actor, but there is a natural likability to him that comes across in nearly ever role he plays. The cast overall here is good, and I love the soundtrack.

I know what you mean. It does seem like, at times, they are shoe-horning in a lot of phrases that result in conversations where you think, "Who talks like that in real life," but I like the show enough to overlook that bit of silliness.

20. NekoM

NekoM Seriously not serious.

I’m about four episodes in. I really like Harrison Fords character, there’s so much to unravel with him, particularly being emotionally detached from human relationships and a progressive disease that relies on closeness.

312elements likes this.
  21. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident

This is a fantastic show. So glad it got picked up for Season 2. I tend to like all Bill Lawrence produced shows (Spin City, Scrubs, Cougar Town, Ted Lasso, Shrinking)

pghmusiclover and 312elements like this.
  22. modrevolve

It 2023 and Ted McGinley is finally showing his age like the rest of us :D

JohnG likes this.
  23. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

This last episode was fantastic. The scene where Liz was "talked" into investing in Sean's company was awesome, and my gut hurt from laughing at the "my dad asked if guys kiss at the end of weddings or do some just fist bump?" line by Brian.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  24. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

We need to finish this up tonight, we’ve enjoyed the season, really like Jason Segel.

25. modrevolve

The Harrison Ford storyline had my gf in tears by the end of the episode. Had to be the best one yet.