Shure M91ED w/Hi Track vs. newer cartridges like Ortofon Red, etc.?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by shnaggletooth, Jul 21, 2019.

1. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

And it's not bad on a hi-end deck either

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

My example was included from the factory on my Realistic LAB 300 turntable. It outperforms 2M Red, and my LAB 300 outperforms under $1000 Regas and Pro-jects with low maintenance.

Wngnt90, timind, BrentB and 2 others like this.
  3. Jeffreylee

Jeffreylee Rock 'n' Roll Typist

I popped a Shure M91 onto my Clearaudio Concept about a week ago, with a Jico stylus. Enjoying the overall sound, even though it’s kind of pushy, but it accentuates surface noise at a level I’ve never experienced. I doubt it’ll stay in the rotation. Maybe for drunk nights.

McLover likes this.
  4. oryan_dunn

oryan_dunn New Member

I've been reading up on and learning about proper cartridge electrical loading. I have an M91ED, and reading the specs, their recommended load capacitance doesn't make sense to me. It says 400-500pF as a recommended load capacitance, but for a cart with an inductance of 720mH, that puts the resonant peak between 8.4kHz and 9.4kHz, which is quite low. Is this just a case of the manufacturer getting it wrong, or do the simple models not account for something in this case?

5. steelgtr

steelgtr Well-Known Member

Hi Guys

I just got a Pioneer PL-7 TT and found these carts in my stash from the old days, including the M91. What would you suggest for the PL-7?

Stanton 881S/D81
    Shure M91ED/Hi Track
    Stanton 680EE/D680
    Shure M104E
    R47XT/ Shure 5X
    Empire 2000 E III
    AT 91E
    AT 88E

Thanks

bob

timind likes this.
  6. muskrat

muskrat Well-Known Member

I have found the m75/91 carts accentuate surface noise without the specified capacitance. Ortofon Om and Concord specify up to 600pF with a similar inductance, 750mH. Conversely, my Fluance table came with an Om10 and it recommended 100pF. Ortofon does Say 200-600 though.

7. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

I'm currently using a Shure M91ED with JICO stylus on my 1960 Garrard Type "A" table. Tracking is set for 3 grams. I use this table for my Lps that are in compromised shape, and any that skip on my Rega . Sometimes, I am ASTONISHED at how good it sounds. just last night I played a somewhat compromised stereo LP of 'The Big Sound of Johnny and The Hurricanes" and the sound really, really surprised me.

8. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

[​IMG] Don't have any experience with a M91ED but I have this Jico HE equipped M95ED. It sounds great!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
    timind and Bobsblkwax like this.
  9. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

I prefer the sound of the M95ED over the M91ED, but the older M91 seems to be a lot more durable over the years.

10. harby

harby Forum Resident

(This is the post that bumped the thread. The M91ED question has long been answered.)

The Stanton 881S is the standout here if it has the D81S Stereohedron stylus, but some Stantons have concerns with aging. Also, the Empire is a gem, 10-35,000Hz with 0.2 x 0.7 elliptical nude stylus (but the 4000, a unique cut equivalent to a 0.1mil elliptical, would be pure gold find).

[​IMG]

PooreBoy, nosliw, patient_ot and 2 others like this.
  11. steelgtr

Thanks, Would the D81 stylus have an "S" on the end if it is that version?

bob

12. harby

harby Forum Resident

It seems there are Stereohedron stylii with both D81 and D81S printed on them. 1978 Stereo Review buying guide lists replacement stylus for them as D81, D810 for mono, D827 for 78s.

[​IMG]

13. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Shure N91ED review here (page 80).

I have one somewhere. Was bought new in the '70s. Don't remember anything about how it sounded (nor would I expect anyone to so remember) - which means it probably sounded ok.

Jeff

Angel66, reidar solhaug and BrentB like this.
  14. harby

harby Forum Resident

Having had one, it has the Shure "house sound", what one might think of as a 70s vinyl sound. Tubby in the mid-bass and dull.

patient_ot likes this.
  15. steelgtr

I don't want to totally hi jack here but is the 881S a better than the (holy grail in my day) 681 EEE?

16. stereoguy

Well, the 881S (Which I have on my Rega) was certainly promoted as their top of the line cart,

17. steelgtr

Maybe that was above our rasin' at the time:) Thouth it was standard for radio stations, etc.

Does your original stylus have the "S"?

bob

18. stereoguy

Hi Bob. I dont have the original stylus, I'm using NOS Stanton DJ styli.

19. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

I prefer the sound of my M91/93 (depends on which stylus you're using; the carts are electrically identical) over most everything else in my collection, including my ADCs. Agree that the original US-made stylus is key to getting the most out of one of these, though the later Mexico-made styli perform respectably too. I have also had good luck with Tonar-branded styli from a Canadian reseller, most of which have thin cantilevers with JICO-style black dots on the underside.

20. steelgtr

Do you have a link? I found this on ebay which claims .2 x .7 but the standard stylus sites all seem to have .3 x .7?

RECORD NEEDLE TURNTABLE STYLUS for SHURE N95ED N95EJ M95EJ RS9E M95HE 4767-DE 796175102686 | eBay

21. harby

harby Forum Resident

That's simply the Pfanstiehl replacement stylus 4767-DE. They are the largest aftermarket makers/resellers of replacement stylii still around, from back in the days when the record store had a display with 100 needles. Some are repackaged OEM (used to be ones not starting with 4), some are mystery replacement, and the "manufactured in Switzerland" are their own source from an undisclosed manufacturer.

It is somewhat suspicious that the only ones that specify 0.2 x 0.7 are Shure cartridges that originally shipped with that exact specification Hi-Track stylus. Why wouldn't they used a superior cut on others also?

Jico-made, sold by EVG, identified by "made in Japan" and with the black dot on the cantilever, were the stylus to have. Now that Jico has cut off most resellers, one must hope that a "Japan" Tonar or EVG PM3155DE "Japan" is one of the remaining Jico-sourced stylii.

22. tables_turning

The link I have for this reseller: NEW: SHURE N91ED (Japanese high quality stylus / needle) M91, N93, etc. | eBay

I have purchased from him several times and can vouch for the quality of the styli I received from him.

Another Tonar-branded option, from France: Tonar stylus elliptical diamond for shure m91ed n91ed n91e dual dn345 dm103_m-e | eBay

steelgtr likes this.
  23. tables_turning

My current M93 setup:
    [​IMG]

BrentB likes this.
  24. tables_turning

I've had multiple M95 carts experience coil failures -- no more of those for me. The leftover N95 styli I have will mount just fine to an M91/93 body, so they won't go to waste.

25. steelgtr

The original oem stylus is called an N95? has the Hi-Track logo?

bob