SHURE V15VxMR - Best Price

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Alan T, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alan T

Alan T Senior Member Thread Starter

Does anyone know where the best price/best service for a SHURE V15VxMR cartridge can be found?

2. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Garage-A-Records! $229!!!! :)

Todd

3. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

I second that. Nice people, too.

4. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Last time I priced it at J&R Music World I got the same quote: 229.00. That was about four months ago.

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

$229.00 is a great price!! The stylus replacement will cost you about $160.00 however.

6. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

Unfortunately, J&R doesn't seem to stock it anymore. As for the stylus replacement, Shure has a little-known stylus replacement program that is incredibly cheap ($25 US, I think). Several folks at the audio asylum vinyl board have mentioned this, although I haven't tried it myself yet.

Even at $160 though, it's still cheaper than getting most MC carts retipped.

7. Alan T

Alan T Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

J+R had in stock with free shipping.

I think you saved me at least $75.00 and some web time.

8. joefont

joefont Senior Member

Actually I just ordered a stylus replacement and it's $50 plus tax.

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Still a bargain for a tip that might last you for 10 years!

10. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Those darned cantilevers are SO fragile...one wrong move and it's history! Still, I don't mind buying a replacement, since I still haven't found *any* cartridge that plays as well as this one.

I need to look into that stylus replacement deal, though. I would swear that mine had rotated in the housing. Although it plays fine (runs the audio obstacle course with no problems).

11. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

I ran into a similar problem last year. It still tracked everything I threw at it but there was more groove noise in the right channel than the left which was bothersome and, I would assume, not good for the groove wall. Get this, I sent the cartridge to Shure and they sent it back with a replacement stylus for only 20 bucks! It was already out of warranty too. They have my vote for great customer service. :thumbsup:

12. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member

I never got why a replacement stylus was always about 70% of the cost of the cartridge.

13. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

If you think about how it's built, it almost makes sense. ;) The cartridge body is just a receptacle for the stylus assembly, containing coils and connecting pins. All the really delicate, intricate parts are in the stylus assembly, especially with a complex shape like the MicroRidge stylus. In the Shure, the cantilever is a very thin-walled beryllium, which I'm sure is not cheap to produce. Then, to get this delicate little mechanism aligned seemingly within microns in what is probably a rubber or silicone bushing, it's a wonder it even works at all.

14. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Isn't that just for styli that were accidentally damaged? (As opposed to worn out.)

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I've had the same V-15 stylus on one of my tonearms for over 17 years. Still plays fine.....

Ya gotta be careful when playing with your "arm"! :)

16. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Some records are pressed in such a way that a fine-line type stylus (such as the Shure MicroRidge and similar) will pick up more noise from one channel than the other, though a standard eliptical will miss the extra noise.

If the record has always been that way, it's likely a pressing problem. Of course if it suddenly got noisier than it had been then indeed your stylus may be at fault.

17. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Thanks for the additional info. Good point. I should've mentioned that after the stylus replacement groove noise returned to normal i.e. very quiet in both channels.

18. joefont

joefont Senior Member

Nope, they'll replace it regardless.

19. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I can corroborate Joe and Graham's point re the cheap replacement stylus. I spoke with a Shure parts person on the telephone late last year and she said that the replacement program covered normal wear and tear. I was quoted a price of 20.00. They may have raised their price lately; I wouldn't be surprised. At any rate, I don't have any evidence of stylus wear yet--my current stylus probably has about 400 hours or so on it--so I haven't tried the policy out myself. I probably will this summer.

20. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

I'm happy as a clam with my 5 month old V15, clear as a bell and noiseless. I didn't shop around, and ending up paying over 300 bucks for it. My previous shure was almost 20 years old, and I still wonder if it might have been the hyper-deep bass on the Daft Punk album that snapped off the cantilever!:laugh:

21. Rick Deschaine

Rick Deschaine New Member

Just purchased one at J & R about a week and 1/2 ago for 229.00 , they are probably still in stock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.