SHURE - V15xMR vs. GOLDRING 1042

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by apesmu, Jan 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apesmu

apesmu Forum Resident Thread Starter

just wondering if any forum members own/or have experience with these two carts? and also, what their advantages/disadvantages might be?

i am thinking about "upgrading" the cart on my Music Hall MMF-5 (currently a Goldring 1012), and have "boiled it down" to getting either the SHURE - V15xMR or GOLDRING 1042.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanx! :help:

2. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Well, I can comment on the Shure!

I have had several Shure cartridges, and I currently am running a 10+ year old Shure V15VMR (precursor to the xMR). I very much enjoy this cartrige. It tracks all but one record that I own (I have a Peter Gabriel III that is very warped), and sounds great. Not as detailed as the better MC's out there, but then again, it is much flatter in response than most MC's (I have several that have a presence rise on them to make them sound more detailed). It has a deccent out put of 3 mv. The stabilizer brush is a great help in both tracking and dust removal. You will find many recommendations for it here and else where. Just remeber, the Shure V15VxMR is schedueled to be discontinued next year. But that should not matter, it is a great cartridge.

3. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

Of course since all you need is the 1042 sylus, that may be better route. I used a 1012 for a few weeks and got upgraded to the 1022. That was a pretty nice upgrade and the 1042 is suppose to be another leap forward.

Sticking with Goldring would make any setup issues moot.

4. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I can assure you that a high percentage of SH members have and love their Shure V15xMR....me included.

5. apesmu

true, i'm surprised i hadn't thought about upgrading the table in that way - i'm assuming that the Goldring 1000 series styli are all compatable/interchangeable with each other?

also, could anyone recommend the best website/store that would sell the 1042 stylus at the best price? thanx very much for your help! :help:

6. AKA-Chuck G

Yes the 1000 Goldring series all use the same body so you can just buy the 1042 stylus. Try Galen Carol audio. I'd call him as you may be able to negotiate a better price.

7. apesmu

thanx for the info - is it as simple as just taking out the old stylus and "plugging" the new one in - and you're good to go?

haven't changed the stylus on the MMF-5 before, and was just curious if any other adjustments or "tweaking" would need to be done...thanx!

8. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

It's a bit more than that...you have to *carefully* remove the cartridge connectors without breaking them off the wires on the tonearm. (If the MMF-5 uses the same cheap wiring as the MMF-2.1...be *really* careful.) Then unmount the old cartridge (two screws) and install the new one. Then the new one needs to be aligned, the tracking weight adjusted, the anti-skating tweaked, and possibly the VTA (tonearm height) adjusted if needed.

Worth the effort though. :)

9. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

If you are just replacing the stylus, why would you take the entire cartridge off??

10. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I think he was asking if it was easy to replace the current cart with the Shure...did I misread maybe?

11. apesmu

sorry if i mis-typed...i was referring as to whether or not its a simple "plug and play" replacing the GOLDRING 1012 w/ the GOLDRING 1042 stylus - which actually i should refer to as the GOLDRING D42.

thanx for the advice though! :righton:

12. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

Yup, it is indeed just a "plug and play"!!

13. apesmu

great! sounds like the way to go - thanx everyone for their help and suggestions. :righton:

14. Danny

Danny Senior Member

:righton:

15. AKA-Chuck G

As already stated, it is indeed very easy to swap out the Goldring stylus.

I like the Shure V15's as well. I am getting ready to sell my Technics BD22 table with 2 Shure V15-HR-P cartridges. That was one great P-mount cart.

16. AKA-Chuck G

As already stated, it is indeed very easy to swap out the Goldring stylus.

I like the Shure V15's as well. I am getting ready to sell my Technics BD22 table with 2 Shure V15-HR-P cartridges. That was one great P-mount cart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.