Sign O' the Times - Prince (super deluxe edition)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masswriter, May 29, 2020.

1. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Cheapest copy is $332?? That's more expensive than the preorder price and the average price immediately after release by about $50.
    Doesn't seem discounted to me.

2. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’m talking about Amazon UK, £221, cheapest it’s been.

croquetlawns likes this.
  3. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I had to order it from Amazon.com as for some strange reason the Amazon.de wouldn't ship that item to Finland (when it was in stock).

nlgbbbblth likes this.
  4. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I believe you and for what I've read of the both sets they are extensive. I've only listened to some selected songs from the remastered albums and some bonuses as I decided to be fully immersed when got my copies here.
    When 1999 remaster and deluxe was originally released I saw that cd-edition on sale in stores, but somehow forgot as I didn't quite then knew it would be limited.
    And then when remastered box for SOTT came out, I saw the different configurations on sale, but went with the SD vinyl-boxset and luckily managed to order similar set for 1999.
    Im going to be spending some good time with the sets. Looking forward to receiving these soon and listening to the whole sets and looking through the books.
    I know I could have only used streaming services to access and listen to the vault-stuff etc but decided to get physical sets to my collection.
    SOTT should be here tomorrow and 1999 should be here next week's thursday, atleast the tracking says so.

mtruslow likes this.
  5. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Yep, that's correct and I ordered it with that price.

6. Arknine

Arknine Forum Resident

i did the same and it was cancelled from amazon.de - it has it listed again as temporarily oos - so have re-ordered to see if it sticks this time....

Porkpie likes this.
  7. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I preordered it and it dropped to £229 when it was released. It wasn’t £221 until last week

8. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Yep, I forgot to mention that I ordered it actually last week.

fishyboots likes this.
  9. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Now (just for fun) I tried and put the item on the basket and Amazon.de actually said that they could deliver this (out of stock) item to Finland. Weird indeed. When Neonbeam mentioned that original deal and discount, then when it was in stock, Amazon just would't deliver it at all to my address.
    Anyways, Im off to do some stuff and awaiting to receiving both big sets here. Definitely looking forward to listening all the stuff. Which to play first (on both sets), the actual remastered album, various mixes, vault-tracks or live?

10. Arknine

Arknine Forum Resident

Last week when it was refusing delivery it was being quoted and shipped via ‘global store’ from Amazon US. It wouldn’t deliver to Ireland either, this week it is direct from Amazon.de (if that all makes sense)

11. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Yep, the same thing as before. There's been some problems sometimes with certain items, atleast I've heard so on the forums.

12. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Just got the SOTT Super Deluxe vinyl-boxset today from AmazonUK, but unfornately my set was completely torn and damaged, the top of the boxset almost ripped off and etc.
    I can't believe they did it again as some had reported the bad and not so secure packaging happening, as on some Amazon's there's even pics of the damaged items.
    Anyways, I immediately contacted Amazon via chat, and while I took some pics and told the damages, they agreed to send me replacement as soon as possible (with expedited delivery) and it should be here early next week, on tuesday.
    The boxset was inside Amazon cardboard-box but for some reason they had taken it out of the factory-box, so it wasn't secured at all and so..not so sure why they take the secure factory-boxes off.
    This has happened to me once before, or twice, I think I have to think of using other stores if these kind of things keep happening. Luckily some stores do send the orders more secure..and they use the factory cardboard-boxes with padding.
    If the replacement set is in anyways inferior or damaged, I will return it aswell and then I can gladly use other stores for the precious boxsets.

13. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Having just listened to the whole set, I have to say I am very impressed with the box. The outtakes are great and some of the alternative versions of SOTT songs are IMO better than what ended up on the record. They are of uniformly high quality as songs and as productions. And I loved the live set as well. Well worth the money I paid for it.

14. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Agreed! This set is a total home run and to me is one of the best box sets I have ever owned if I can make such a judgement this early

15. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

[​IMG]
    This is one of the pics of the damaged set I received. The top of the box was almost loose, box had dents all the vinyls had dents in corners and seamsplits.
    Just sent this one back and should be receiving new one next tuesday.

905, Matthew Tate and CBackley like this.
  16. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Wow. I've sometimes questioned what folks considered damage when returning sets, but that is horrible!

905, groovelocked, sunspot42 and 5 others like this.
  17. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

At first I thought that maybe I should or shouldn't share any of the pics or even mention the damage, but I think I had to do so..
    Like I said earlier, it wasn't secured by the factory box and this damaged one came in little tight Amazon cardboard box. The boxset was in even more severe condition that the pic and some other I took indicate.
    I didn't even play the albums, all the covers of the albums had dents, book had serious dents seamsplits but the actual vinyl seemed to be ok and none had any markings. Unbelievable to receive high priced sets like this and not secured at all.
    It must have been some damaged one returned by someone and then for some strange reason it got to me. Couple years ago, when the Lord Of The Rings movies were each released in vinyl-boxsets, I bought them all.
    And one of the sets was damaged already and guess what, when I opened the package it contained return receipt and info of the previous owner who had returned it. Luckily I got replacement which was pristine.
    Out of the hundreds of times (if not thousands) that I have ordered albums all over the world, it seems that atleast couple times Amazon has just sent faulty and damaged returned items.
    I think I might have to do and only from now on use those stores that do provide all the items in their original factory boxes and so that everything will be pristine as should.
    I cannot accept things like this happening at all..I've heard people get damaged items, but now that I've gotten them few times I still can't understand but have to vote with my wallet soon.

905, groovelocked and jhm like this.
  18. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I'd vote with my wallet too! It's tough if they are your most convenient and/or least expensive option, though.

In the U.S., many returned items are assessed and then sold via "Amazon Warehouse" for discounted prices. Condition of the item is provided. I'm not sure they do this with music items, but I know they do it for Blu Ray discs, so who knows. Seems odd they would just send out a returned item as "new". One would think that would be bad for business overall.

19. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Now I don't actually know why this Prince boxset was what it was, but that LOTR-set for sure was because there were the actual papers inside indicating a returned item, it was very embarrasing move from them.
    Weird and embarrassing, but also very bad impression of how someone working at Amazon did handle things or didn't handle at all. If it was mistake, then I don't understand how come anyone could sell brand new item and send something else instead.
    Anyways, as I hope that next weeks sets of both SD's (SOTT and 1999) will be fine then, I will surely pause my orders from Amazon which I have now used very rarely. In fact, I have anyways lately supported more independent stores and even some chains that have provided me better service.
    I will surely comment and join to discuss these SD:s when I have my pristine sets here.

20. This is a known song. He played it at Montreux Jazz Festival. And it's one of the better Vault tunes. Thank goodness it's not a downer.

21. possumdude

possumdude "Spies Like Us" Aficionado

I think Eleventh Earl might find what they're looking for in the track "Empty Room", if they haven't heard it already :)

croquetlawns and fishyboots like this.
  22. Good choice for that kind of pathos. Another is "Solo."

23. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

I never understood the appeal of In A Large Room With No Light and still don't. I'll keep trying though.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

My only complaint with "Large Room" is that it ends 2 minutes too early lol, I absolutely love that outro with the backing vocals and sax all blaring while Sheila takes the drum grooves up a notch and could easily listen to more of that jamming. But I suppose in that case I have the '09 versions with the solos at the end

Matthew Tate, CBackley and fishyboots like this.
  25. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

For context, I'm not even 2 years into my Prince discovery - I avoided the bootlegs leading to this release, and yes, Empty Room is what I was kind of anticipating... lol