Sign O' the Times - Prince (super deluxe edition)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masswriter, May 29, 2020.

1. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Amazon UK has the set for £119.99 GBP at the moment; if they ship to the US, 20% VAT (UK equivalent of sales tax included in the sticker price) can be saved. Not sure if Amazon UK will send this set to the US or what the postage might be though.

ad180 likes this.
  3. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

Importcds has it for $113.65.

Prince Sign O' The Times (Super Deluxe Edition) [Explicit Content] Parental Advisory, Explicit Lyrics, Deluxe Edition, With DVD, Boxed Set on ImportCDs
    It’s not even on back order which means they still have it in stock.

jhm, croquetlawns, ad180 and 2 others like this.
  4. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

5. Gary_Stewart

Gary_Stewart Forum Resident

Price dropped to $111 on Amazon (US). Copy on the way.

6. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

what are your favourite tracks from the vault discs? i have recently discovered “love and sex” (the song :D). it’s become one of my favourite prince songs. i love the melody and the way it builds. that would have been a great song on an album, and yet it was hidden away.

7. zipzapzopzoup

zipzapzopzoup Forum Resident

"Love And Sex" is one of my faves too (I was expecting something close to Sheila's version, so it took a bit of getting used to), and I'll add "Wally" and "In A Large Room With No Light" to the list. Hearing "Large Room" in this quality for the first time after ~30 years of ****ty bootlegs was an emotional moment for me!

8. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Pulled the trigger on Amazon yesterday. Will have in mail today.

9. Gary_Stewart

Gary_Stewart Forum Resident

Back up to $130.

10. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

I would love to hear the brilliance in "In A Large Room With No Light" but I just don't, sadly.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  11. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

That is a great song fot sure, gotta be up there for me as well. In A Large Room With No Light, Rebirth of the Flesh, It Be's Like That Sometimes, and The Cocoa Boys are among my favorites as well

12. Psychedelic Good Trip

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In snail mail today. Finally got this box set.

13. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

I can understand how the track doesn't work for everybody, but for me it's a brilliant composition with a brilliant arrangement, fascinating lyrics, and a unique and powerful sound (all with help from Wendy & Lisa). I consider it one of his greatest.

Helmuth, qtrules, coffeetime and 4 others like this.
  14. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Dive in and enjoy :)

EG.

15. Psychedelic Good Trip

Thanks! This vault tracks, edits etc will take some time to absorb. This box is beautiful.

16. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

And very heavy!

EG.

17. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

I am still working on it after almost 3 months. It is really a thing of beauty. I have listened to all the vault tracks multiple times and just keep going back for more.

905, Jayseph, skisdlimit and 6 others like this.
  18. mpffffhhhh

mpffffhhhh Member

19. EndorphinMachine

EndorphinMachine Forum Resident

I've pre-ordered it at a local bookstore in Belgium for 35-ish, so if you don't need a signature (why would you?) just check out a Swiss store.

croquetlawns likes this.
  20. mpffffhhhh

mpffffhhhh Member

^why? because i have another book from duane signed. so simple as that :)

21. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

So have I, and would have loved this one, but I'm not up for paying that price just for shopping to the UK :(

22. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

I can almost promise you that will be the best thing you will ever get in the mail (except if you get a million dollar cheque, or something).

That set didn't leave my turntable for a month when I got it.

23. EndorphinMachine

EndorphinMachine Forum Resident

No he won't, it was posted at the neighbors.

smokeverbs and Orthogonian Blues like this.
  24. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I got this on Thursday and I’ve been listening to nothing else since—original album only, on CD. I have to say I’m just totally blown away by how good it sounds. :love: Now, by comparison to Sign, the 1999 remaster seems a bit more bass-heavy than necessary—still good, just not in the same league as this one.

Can’t wait to see which album Grundman tackles next. I’m hoping for Dirty Mind, as that’s another title in my Prince top 5.

25. George P

George P Notable Member

I hope your enjoyment continues, Monosterio. I really liked it at first, but soon after I found it had some of that bass-heavy sound you mention regarding the 1999 remaster. I then went back to the original CDs and had a newfound appreciation for it. I compared them a lot over a few days and ended up returning the remaster. To me, the original sounds clear and transparent, more "of its time." And on my stereo, the original is more crankable.

I heard an interview with Grundman recently where he talked about how mastering used to involve a lot of input, and ultimately final approval, by the artist. And I think he mastered the original right? Now, I am not saying his first mastering was right and the remaster is wrong, I am just pointing out that the sound of the remaster is Grundman's vision, without input from Prince, while the sound of the original was created via a collaboration between Prince and Grundman.

croquetlawns likes this.