Sign O' the Times - Prince (super deluxe edition)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masswriter, May 29, 2020.

1. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

He mastered the original vinyl. I suspect he didn't touch the original CD... I'm 95% sure it's a flat transfer, because the original vinyl sounds MUCH better than the original CD. More in line with the new edition.

JeffMo, skisdlimit and jhm like this.
  2. Jayseph

Jayseph Somewhere Between Penny Lane & Alphabet St.

I am not sure that in Prince’s case that would be a good idea considering the Purple Rain 2015 Prince-approved Paisley Park brickwalled extravaganza.

croquetlawns, sunspot42 and jhm like this.
  3. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I must say, you're in the minority on that one! That's one of the most inconsistent CDs in my collection. :)

4. George P

George P Notable Member

You say "in the minority" like it's a bad thing. I am sure there were many times Prince was told his sound was too odd, too different. Thank God he didn't worry about pleasing the majority.

The new remaster sounds like something the majority would like, as it is more in line with what they are used to. You say the original is inconsistent. I say it's a wild, unique ride.

AGimS likes this.
  5. George P

George P Notable Member

I am not sure anyone can compare Prince in 2015 to Prince in 1987. I guess then can, but it would be incredibly foolish.

6. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Bernie's original LP cut is what I heard when I bought the album in 1987 and is not at all what is represented on the CD. And we all know what was going on in the 1980s when CDs were gaining popularity... while there were some great staff engineers like Barry Diament who did great work, there were also many unknown staff engineers who just did flat transfers. In the case of SOTT, it's almost certainly what happened.

If Prince signed off on Bernie's mastering, it was for the vinyl, not the CD. So the answer to your question, "I think he mastered the original, right?" is: No, he did not master the original CD.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    Michael Macrone likes this.
  7. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I tried to A-B my old and new CDs and ended up screwing up my system in the process. Will get back to you when I straighten the whole thing out.

8. Jayseph

I wasn’t trying to compare 1987 Prince with 2015 Prince. I was simply responding to your artist approved mastering comment. You said “Now, I am not saying his first mastering was right and the remaster is wrong, I am just pointing out that the sound of the remaster is Grundman's vision, without input from Prince, while the sound of the original was created via a collaboration between Prince and Grundman.” Perhaps you are simply trying to state that remasters are never a good idea.

9. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Prince let Josh remaster Purple Rain, seemingly after being impressed by his work on HitNRun Phase One. Prince’s decisions on mastering were far from impeccable.

10. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

System fixed (not sure what I messed up) and I did some A-B’ing. @George P, I stand by what I said earlier. I prefer the amount of bass on the remaster to that of the original CD. And I never heard the original LP, as others here have. I’m just going by the sound of the two CDs.

Later I’ll do the same thing with 1999. But, as I said before, the bass on the remaster was less to my liking with that one.

DesertHermit and croquetlawns like this.
  11. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

The SOTT remaster CDs sound vastly superior to the original CDs in my opinion. It’s barely a contest.

12. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yeah, the original SoTT CD is very thin. Sort of a harbinger of the preferred mastering sound of the late '80s thru at least the mid-'90s, which valued "clarity" over every other attribute. On the plus side, nothing was compressed to hell, since dynamics were also king. You can fix most of these discs with a bit of EQ if it really bugs you, unlike the compressed garbage we started getting circa 2000. Nothing can fix that mess.

13. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Oh yeah for sure! Same with the 1999 remaster too, the low end being restored and the overall sound being much better EQ'd has given these amazing albums the digital amazingness they deserve in my opinion

Eric_Generic, 905, Jayseph and 3 others like this.
  14. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Couldn't afford monster lp box so this gem will have to do. Spinning now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In snail mail today. 2 lp remastered 180 gram vinyl set.

15. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I finally heard the remastered cd for the first time yesterday and really enjoyed it.

16. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

now that is how you do an SDE!

U2 should be embarrassed.

17. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

18. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

And there's a "used" copy from Amazon Warehouse that's $102.58 shipped ("Missing shrink-wrap, activation codes for bonus online content may be missing or expired") so if you don't mind having a potentially less-than-mint copy, you can save a little money there.

Runicen likes this.
  19. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Lewisboogie likes this.
  20. Jayseph

They probably mean the coupon for a percentage off in the Prince online store.

croquetlawns likes this.
  21. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

This is boilerplate language. Probably to head off at the pass vinyl or gaming releases that came with download codes on release since they have no way of knowing if a returned bit of merch has had the code used or not.

22. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

Anybody got the new book “Prince and the Parade and Sign O' The Times Era Studio Sessions” by Duane Tudahl?

Any good?

Tom Hakala and CBackley like this.
  23. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Yes! Great book :righton:

CBackley and Timjosephuk like this.
  24. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I’m a few chapters in. Really well done. Learning a lot about the recording of Romance 1600, which was done while on tour for Purple Rain.

25. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I should pick that up...