Sign O' the Times - Prince (super deluxe edition)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masswriter, May 29, 2020.

1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Oh, that's right. I was hoping they would do more, though. "Sign O The Times" was never my favorite album. It would have been better as a nice single album.

2. StevelandJudkins

StevelandJudkins Forum Resident

Exactly i love George Clinton but he hated to do ballads and was one note as well (funk). I love Sly but he wasn't disciplined enough to even last 5 years in the spotlight. James could out dance Prince but Prince could do rock, rnb, funk, soul, rap, jazz and everything in between. Im not even going to get into his prowess with instruments and drum programming.

3. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Wash your mouth out :D

It's perfect the way it was released.

4. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Did George Martin tell you to say that?
    :--)

5. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I don't think the deluxe editions are stopping anytime soon, just that Sony will release the rest besides the Parade deluxe that has been buzzed about for some time that Warner will release

obi likes this.
  6. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

It's just occurred to me that the omission of 'Feel U Up' from this set implies that Warners do intend to release a Batman deluxe edition at some point, even though the licensing of those songs has always seemed to be a tricky proposition. No point leaving it off as a Batman-era b-side otherwise.

JackDVD78, Matthew Tate, 905 and 2 others like this.
  7. AshS

AshS Forum Resident

Really??? Please explain! Sign 'O' The Times is my favorite album and era. Have you seen the movie?

8. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

I thought that WB would likely do both Batman and Graffiti Bridge deluxe editions after the Parade box. No reason for them to leave that money sitting on the table. But what am I not getting about the Batman licensing being tricky? I thought both the movie and soundtrack were owned by WB. Why would licensing be tricky? Is it anything like the Sign "O" the Times concert film licensing issues? I've never really understood those either.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

No one will change my mind. I felt underwhelmed by the album when I first bought it when it came out, and, aside from four or five songs on it, I still think it is an over-hyped, overblown, overrated mess. Should have been a single album.

I have been a Prince fan since 1979. I realize that a lot of people never even heard of him until "1999" or "Purple Rain".

englishbob and DesertHermit like this.
  10. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Runs on Jay-Z's servers, so yes

sonnyrock likes this.
  11. englishbob

The basic way of looking at this, and some of the other tracks missing from this period, is that it doesn't fit into the catchphrase of "All tracks previously unreleased" for the Vault discs. That was the main aim I think

Prince Sign O' The Times Expanded Reissue Available On September 25 | Rhino Media

12. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

jmxw and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Joost van Gijzen

Joost van Gijzen Avada Kedavra, MF's!

Let's hope so. Feel U Up doesn't contain samples from the movie, so it should not be a problem.
    The short version was on The Hits/The B-sides as well.

Matthew Tate and croquetlawns like this.
  14. Stillwaiting

Stillwaiting Forum Resident

Batman is a rights nightmare. The use of Batman characters, sound samples from the movie, etc. Licensing for all of that was likely in some hokey agreement that could take all kinds of negotiations. Hopefully not.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I don't think there should be a problem with reissuing the album as it is, the problem was extracting songs from it outside the soundtrack. None of the singles were included on The Hits (but the B-sides were). I say "was" because "Batdance" has been included on 4Ever (that one was the big omission on previous compilations).

First of all "WB" is not one company, music and movies are done by totally different companies, I don't know if there is even a parant company that owns both anymore. The problem with Batman tracks were that some of them include movie dialogue, so there is a whole other copyright that comes into play. For the Sign movie the problem is Prince sold the rights and different companies have the license for different territories, here in Europe it looks like different companies released it in almost every country. About WB releasing Deluxe editions of albums later, the question is can the Estate give WB vault tracks after Sony takes over? It hasn't been spelled out how that works, at the moment it seems only WB can release vault tracks, this may become the oppsite later (or the vault tracks recorded when P. was with Warner can remain with them, in which case Sony can't do Deluxes). We assume things will just continue the way it has started, we cannot take that for granted when these two giant companies (which do not usually co-operate) have to share things between them.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  16. englishbob

17. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

While we keep talking about the Batman tracks, remember Batdance did appear on 4ever and that song is predominantly dialogue from the movie so who knows

Matthew Tate, 905 and croquetlawns like this.
  18. djej

djej Forum Resident

200 Balloons, a Batman b-side, was also included on The Hits/B-sides and contains a couple of movie dialogue clips.

In that regard, I’m also hoping the unreleased Dance With The Devil, which also has movie dialogue in it, will be able to be released if a Batman set is done.

There is also a different, longer unreleased version of Batdance where he says **** instead of “get the funk up.”

19. Raf

Raf Senior Member

There are several speech samples on "200 Balloons," but none of them are from the movie. That's why it could be included on The Hits/The B-Sides.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

I would love dance with the devil in decent quality

hiterss and Izozeles like this.
  21. djej

djej Forum Resident

i thought the sample “who’s gonna stop 200 balloons” was one of the Joker’s henchmen from dialogue in the film?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. poidog

poidog Senior Member

Finally popped up on Target for $135.

But you'll have to look for:

Lord Nelson - Piece O' The Pi (EXPLICIT LYRICS) (CD)

mjb and EVOLVIST like this.
  23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That's... weird! :wtf:

poidog and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No. There's no sample of that line - it's just Prince:

I've seen "Batman" a skillion times and don't remember a line about 200 balloons anyway...

CBackley and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Raf

Raf Senior Member

It isn't.

Matthew Tate likes this.