Simon & Garfunkel Mono Mixes on Digital Formats Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by S. P. Honeybunch, May 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney Thread Starter

Are you interested in hearing more Simon & Garfunkel mono mixes on these futuristic digital formats like Compact Disc, SACD, or downloadable files? Then this is the thread for your folky interest. "Tell the world" what you want to hear by voting in the poll! The world wants to know if you want your S&G albums unmolsested on digital formats or if you want them with bonus tracks.

S&G experts, please assist in clarifying if any S&G mono singles share the same mono mix as the album mono mix or if they differ.

The Bridge Over Troubled Water album has no dedicated mono album mixes, but singles from the album do have dedicated mono mixes that Columbia released in 1969 and 1970. Thus, it might be most feasible for Columbia Records to release the mono single mixes as part of a mono singles or mono stray tracks collection (if there are additional vintage mono mixes not found on originally released singles) .

Mal likes this.
  2. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Of course, I'd buy releases with the mono single and/or album mixes. Not interested in a mono fold of Bridge, though. :)

3. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney Thread Starter

Well dang, I thought that I was gonna break the internet with this thread. Let's try another go round on a Saturday.

4. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I'd say original mono mixes of the three* that have them plus an extra disc as a mop-up.

*No, make it four; The Graduate soundtrack was released in mono as well but as it's a late stage mono I don't know if it's true mono, a fold or a combination

Mal and HDOM like this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

With good mastering- not compressed to holy hell, i'd go with Parsley. I enjoy my old mono lp so I'd be in for this.
    I haven't heard the others (mono)

HDOM likes this.
  6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

People are voting for a Bridge fold down? Really? Why would anyone want that?

7. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Sorry. Absolutely no interest. The Old Friends box and MFSL Bookends will do me fine.

8. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Depend on whether you're interested in the mono vs. stereo variations. Like the extra horn stabs on "Hazy Shade":

"I Am A Rock" has a completely different vocal track, too.

storrs19, joeortonjr, RC1 and 4 others like this.
  9. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

I would like them formatted such as this, if we are talking about CD reissues. For vinyl it is different:

- Original album with mini-sleeve reproduction
    - 1 disc: original mono/stereo album
    - another disc: single mixes/outtakes
    - booklet: liner notes and recording/mastering information
    - all sourced from the best possible masters/sources. No use of NR, compression, and ridiculous EQ. Remastered on analog equipment

For all albums where applicable, under $200. This isn’t so hard to do, now is it?

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  10. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

everything........and on 7.5 ips reel in addition to vinyl while we're at it.

forthlin likes this.
  11. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

I'll get all of Simon and Garfunkel's recordings in mono if they ever release them digitally. Please, give us at least a complete singles compilation. I prefer that the mono albums include the corresponding mono bonus tracks. I am not interested in a fold-down of "Bridge over Troubled Water", but would buy a stereo CD with mono bonus tracks. I generally support releasing catalog and previously unreleased music. This proposal seems to have little chance of realization, but when I look at my collection, I am amazed at how much "never-gonna-release-that" music I have.

12. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

I voted for straight-up mono issues of Parsley, Sage... and Bookends but I would really just prefer audiophile vinyl remasterings of both - in mono.

13. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

Why not? This is how I heard it back then.

14. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I have vinyl rips of the three mono albums I care about, but proper versions would be nice. They're all so much easier to listen to than the stereo.

15. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

why would the Bridge album have to be a fold if there's already dedicated mono single mixes we already know of?

16. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

I'm actually partial to stereo over mono, but you can never have too much Simon and Garfunkel.

17. TallPaulInKy

TallPaulInKy Forum Resident

I voted for an all singles collection. But would probably rebuy everything again, if the issued the stereo albums on CD and included the hit singles (including any non LP tracks) as bonus cuts. The rarest thing I recall being issued on CD was the Paul Simon demo for the song "Bridge Over Troubled Water" on the 2001 reissue.

18. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

All studio albums in mono with 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' both in mono singles AND quad mix

Also, 1 CD mono singles collection and mono non album tracks

:righton::righton::righton:

tlake6659 likes this.
  19. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

BOTW DID HAVE dedicated mono single mixes of

- Bridge Over Troubled Water/ Keep The Customer Satisfied

- Cecilia/ The Only Living Boy In New York

- El Condor Pasa/ Why Don't You Write Me

20. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Record company exec: "So what I'm hearing is that you'd like Graceland - The Remixes Vol. 2"

ponkine likes this.
  21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I voted for "1 Disc Mono Singles Collection With Mono Singles and any Mono Non-Album Tracks", but, I think there is enough material to warrant a 2-CD set and I would prefer both A and B sides rather than have album cuts. besides, most of the time, the B-sides are album cuts.

22. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

"El Condor Pasa" was in mono on the promo single, the stock single was stereo. "Keep The Customer Satisfied" isn't on the promo.

McLover likes this.
  23. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

24. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

25. Sylvaincheuh

Sylvaincheuh Well-Known Member

Question regarding S&G...from which concert is taken "For Emily" on the Greatest hits album ? ( doesn't sound like fake live)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.