Sinatra / Capitol 180g LPs: Wee Small Hours, Come Fly with Me, Come Dance with Me*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by randy9700, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Bought the "Wee Small Hours" corrected LP today and it is LOADED with reverb. It is especially noticeable in the small combo recordings. Save your bucks, everybody!

2. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Save them for a mono original.

3. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Booooooooooo. :thumbsdn: Another lost opportunity.

dan c

4. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

Emergency help required:)

I've finally picked up the mono "Come Fly With Me" - and the sound is amazing. Unfortunately, the needle of my cheapo turntable keeps jumping out of the groove after the instrumental bridge of "On The Road To Mandalay". It seems if Billy swings to hard for it. Any idea what I can do about it? Unfortunately, there's no adjustment for the pressure on the turntable. Maybe I have to live with it - or buy better equipment;)

5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Hmm...way too much reverb in it for my taste. I returned it.

6. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Got the Come Dance With Me. Not impressed. Lacking resolution and warmth presumably due to low resolution digital source. Fortunately I bought it with a store credit. Bummer anyway.

Worth a shot but I continue to be extra suspicious of Crapitol vinyl. :(

7. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Give the Emi 100 Anniversary issue (LPCENT 28 Frank Sinatra Come Fly with Me) a shot pretty good IMO and quiet.

8. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Thanks, I will look for it.

9. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

At least it's not the Bob Norberg digital mastering, as has been positied in the release of the new Jolly Christmas. Dunno if there was a digital stage in the mastering of the 'new' CDWM.

10. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Good question. There has been no mono CD release, so this may have been analog. (Either way, I didn't think it sounded to great, but I think that's just me not being a big fan of the mono mix on that title.)

Maybe MMM can chime in, but I seem to recall that the Centenary edition from EMI in Britain was a digitally mastered LP, and that was issued was mono. IF that's the case, then that LP's digital source tape could have been used for the FROM THE VAULTS release, I suppose.

Matt

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

NO! The British issues are all missing a key song.

Find a Grey label Capitol, they sold a million of them.

12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Matt, I remember reading that only the first 20 EMI 100 titles were digitally sourced. I think this one at #28 would be analog.

13. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Thanks Steve. Will look for one.

14. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

SWINGIN' LOVERS! came out in the first batch of UK "Centenary" LP's, which were supposedly digital. COME FLY WITH ME - mono version, with "It Happened In Monterrey" in place of "On the Road to Mandalay" - was in the second batch, and those were supposed to be all analog. COME DANCE WITH ME - mono version - was part of the MILLENIUM batch of reissues that followed the CENTENARY series. Those were supposedly all analog as well.

No way any of these intermingled for the recent U.S. LP's - there's the one song changed on FLY, and DANCE was in narrow stereo (as you know).

15. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Totally correct. When I typed that COME FLY bit earlier today, the synapse that reminds me that COME FLY is different in the UK failed to fire properly.

Matt

16. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Is the word duophonic a bad thing when purchasing a used copy of Wee Small Hours? There's a pretty nice copy in a local store that I almost bought and very reasonably priced at about $10 I think.

17. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Are there any more "From the Capitol Vaults" releases coming, whether Sinatra or anyone???

18. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duophonic

You'll want to find a mono copy for authentic sound.

I personally like Duophonic, but it's not for everyone.

19. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I found the answer to my question!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.