Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: "All the Way" compilation LP, released 1961

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by paulmock, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident Thread Starter

I picked up a beautifully clean stereo copy of "All the Way" last weekend cause it was for a few bucks and my 2 copies are just "OK" sound-wise. This one takes the cake!

It's a 12 o'clock label (of course) and the reverb goes away from the listener instead of coming out toward you. In other words, I was sitting dead center across the room from my speakers and the sound was coming out of them and seemed to go up and back over the top of them and into the wall!!!! Very, very wonky. I immeditely grabbed my other copies and played a track from each and they sounded OK. But this pressing is a real doozy.

Anyone else experience this type of sound. I know these Capitol 12 o'clock LPs are like succatash.:sigh: "Reverse reverb"?????

McLover likes this.
  2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Hmmmm.....even the description sounds odd! Do you have a 'mono button' you can hit? I'd be curious as to the effect.

Matt

3. paulmock

Sorry, no mono button on my Yamaha.

4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The originals are "9 o'clock"/logo on left.

Can you reverse the phase on one channel - maybe by switching the +/- on one speaker and see what happens with this effect (vs. other copies)?

5. paulmock

I'll remember to try that this weekend.

6. MLutthans

Regarding the cover artwork for All the Way:

I have a very early D pressing, 9:00 rainbow label, D4/D2 or some such thing, and it has Jim Jonson's signature visible in the lower right corner of the front cover:
    AllTheWaySWWithSig.jpg
    ...while my early 1980s green label SN-series LP has that removed:
    AllTheWaySNCoverNoSig.jpg

Additionally, the front cover has two other noteworthy changes on the 1980s version: 1.) The background color has been changed from a very pleasant dark-ish cream color to pure white, and the text for FRANK SINATRA and the song titles has been changed from a medium-ish grey to full-on black. Same with the Capitol logo in the upper right corner.

Alterations for the back cover artwork in the next post.......

Simon A likes this.
  7. MLutthans

Here's the original rear cover photo:
    AllTheWayRearSW.jpg
    ...and below is the 1980s SN-series rear cover photo:
    AllTheWaySNRear.jpg
    Note that some of the text has been removed, and the background, showing the original mono-era Capitol booth and exit doors, has been grey-ed out.

Also, here are the stickers on the U47 from the original cover, replete with frayed/peeling corners:
    AllTheWayU47SW.jpg
    ....and below are the "cleaned up" versions from the SN-series LP:
    AllTheWayU47CleanedUp.jpg

What an odd assortment of little changes to make! Anybody know when these revised versions first appeared? Maybe on the SM-series releases of the early/mid-1970s??????

8. paulmock

Remember the old song "Time on My Hands"?????

9. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Frank looks very Neapolitan in that 1980s rear cover photo.

10. MLutthans

Me, or the Capitol art directors???? :laugh: I do find it odd that somebody actually took the time to tinker with these little details at some point.

Simon A and MMM like this.
  11. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I have to check back which changes happened (or not), though I remember for sure having 1960's copies with/without the grey-out part of the back cover.

12. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

...also this one:

ZippyPippy and MLutthans like this.
  13. MLutthans

Anybody have the new All the Way yet? Opening cuts on both sides in mono or fake stereo? Other info? (C) and (P) info from the rear cover?

DLant and Simon A like this.
  14. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

No info on the cover whether it's Mono, Stereo or fake stereo. Having 3 copies already: Jap Stereo, British Mono and British WRC with songs in slightly different order I'm not willing to pay to find out. The British original as well as the WRC versions have notes on the back covers.

Bob F likes this.
  15. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

This may imply that it is Mono, like my original US Capitol W 1538 LP, bought in 1961 (rainbow label with 9 o'clock logo, N2/N1 stampers). Like Ron, I'm not inclined to buy this one to find out. I'll probably stop by Barnes & Noble today, to check out the dates in the fine print on the back, if no one else beats me to it.

16. MLutthans

I'm curious, too, so see if the rear cover photo is the original, un-retouched version, or the cleaned-up version that replaced it on many later releases. If nothing else, I'll check out the rear cover when I'm at RSD manana.

17. MLutthans

I'm a little reluctant to even bring this up, but I wouldn't 100% rule out the possibility of (P) 1988 (C) 2016 on the rear cover. Very unlikely, IMO, but possible. That 1988 CD had the mono-only tracks in very good mono sound, and the remaining ten tracks in their original, somewhat soupy stereo mixes.

18. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I think it's the original photo (although I'm not sure what was cleaned up in later releases). The back cover looks just like my 1961 mono LP, with advertising for nine previous Sinatra albums in its lower half... EXCEPT that the catalog numbers of those other LPs have been deleted, along with the note that (S) denotes those with stereo releases.

Nope: "Originally released in 1961 by Capitol Records, ℗ © 2016"

No mention of stereo anywhere. It comes with the usual USA "Sinatra 100" sticker on the front and "Made in Netherlands" on the back.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  19. MLutthans

Bob F likes this.
  20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Aha! I'd forgotten that discussion. I didn't take notice of those back cover details, and I'm not going back to B&N to find out. ;) I trust you'll let us know tomorrow, Matt. I also didn't notice if Jim Jonson's signature survived on the front, but I think it was covered by the Sinatra 100 sticker. I believe it has the cream-colored background?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  21. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

[Added:] I believe this is an accurate repro of the new front cover, showing the off-white background and artist's signature:

[​IMG]

22. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Tell me Matt, as I only have the 1998 UK CD version of this album, should I pick the 1988 up? Is it a better sounding digital version?

DLant likes this.
  23. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Looks more like Montgomery Clift than Frank.

24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Many think it looks like Henry Fonda, but that's what it was—55 years ago.

25. MLutthans

I ventured out and checked it out tonight. Looks like the original mono covers, i.e., signature on the front, un-retouched photo on the back, no mention of stereo or Duophonic.

I've only really compared the two mono-only tracks.
    Witchcraft: 1988 CD = top choice; 1998 UK = Not as good -- compressed
    All the Way: 1988 CD = top choice: 1998 UK = avoid -- "audibly and heavily compressed"

Maybe the stereo tracks fare better on the 1998 UK CD? I haven't compared. On the mono tracks, though, the 1988 version is the clear winner vis-a-vis the 1998 UK CD.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    DLant and Simon A like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.