Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion - Come Dance with Me (released 1959)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by serge, Nov 15, 2009.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I am very intrigued by the differences in the recording style (from a technical standpoint) between COME DANCE WITH ME and COME FLY WITH ME. I've added some comments and clips to the bottom of the "winners page" that address this. I know that there are those who disagree with what I hear/say, but I did try to back things up a bit with audio samples. YMMV, and headphones advised! Click here, then scan down.

Matt

2. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

I heard them.

Why can't Capitol just release the dry stereo and mono tracks? :(

3. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

It's certainly be interesting to hear dry versions of the stereo titles.

Not sure that in the end they would all be preferable that way, a bit of 'verb is probably necessary.

Though as I posted somewhere back in this thread, I would like a good sounding CDWM, in stereo, presented dryer than it is on most of the releases. The Norberg CD is pretty dry, but has far too many other sonic issues.

4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

No (relatively) dry vs. wet mono tapes here. The live mix had a lot of echo to begin with. The 3 tracks are dry, but are unfinished and too dry to just thread up and release as is with the channels pushed up. A good new stereo mix is needed...

5. Ryan

Never too dry for me :)

6. MLutthans

^^^^ Regarding MMM's and Ryan's comments:

I actually have grown to like the dry mix of "Cheek to Cheek" that's on the Romance: Songs from the Heart collection. Initially, I was bothered by it, but not any longer. What bothers me on any release is how the brass are just blasting away on one channel while the softer stuff is all going on in the other. Odd as it may seem, I'd like to get a dry-ish remix to MONO just to mitigate the different components that are never going to blend well in stereo. A single CD could certainly hold both mono and stereo mixes -- remix it both ways, and there's your winner, IMO. (That original mono mix is icky, but I'd really enjoy a GOOD mono mix on this particular title.)

Matt

7. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Dry or wet aside, the 'Romance' cut of CTC has too much funky NR on it to be acceptable, IMO.

That dry alternate take of 'Nice N' Easy' needed some reverb. Sinatra sounds like he's singing inside a closet on that.

8. MLutthans

There's definitely some weird stuff going on on that Romance CD, and it's frustrating because some tracks sound quite nice and others....not so much. A hodge-podge.

9. MLutthans

Today, I picked up an excellent 1984 Alan Dell pressing of this title. As a result, I had to make some significant additions/changes to this page plus to the winners page that follows it.

10. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

Interesting about the Dell pressing. I have a bunch of Nat King Cole albums done by Dell in the same period. I haven't listened to them in a while, but always assumed they must be sub-par because of the digital mastering. Maybe I'll listen to them again.

11. MLutthans

I've got several Sinatra and Cole titles from that series. For Sinatra, I have Songs for Young Lovers, Swing Easy, This is Sinatra, This is Sinatra Volume 2, Come Dance with Me (as of yesterday), and Point of No Return. The only clunker, sound-wise, is Swing Easy, which is wretched (poorly mastered from wrong tapes -- very icky). The rest are in the very good to excellent range, I would say.

I don't recall any duds in the Cole series, but I haven't played those in years. I have some excellent French Pathe-Marconi Cole's from the same time period. (The French and British series [serieses??] were done cooperatively, with no overlapping titles.)

Matt

12. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Matt, a small note about the cover on my "SM" pressing - it does not have the Capitol Records High Fidelity Recording logo. In its place is "A Capitol Re-Issue", with SM-1069 below that.

13. MLutthans

Yep. Isn't that what the web page says?

Attached Files:

14. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

My mistake. I saw those two side by side, and glazed over that part of your notes earlier...

15. MLutthans

No problem....most of my notes are quite glazeworthy. ;)

Matt

16. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

From that short sample I agree that the sound of the '84 Dell 'CDWM' LP hardens up a bit but with the gain of some 'clarity.' I'd definitely buy one if I see it.

I'd still like to know what accounts for these LP's being so superior to the rest. The yellow and green LP's match each other surprisingly close, due to their being mastering relations. But the Dell doesn't fall too far from the tree either, despite it's being very distinct from the other two.

They didn't prepare a new 2 track mix which was then utilized for all of these did they? I'd doubt Capitol would have gone to the expense and trouble for these already decades old albums, at a time when they wouldn't have likely sold in very high numbers.

17. MLutthans

Greg, I wonder the same things. The two versions you mentioned are so much clearer than the others -- even than the CDs, some of which were remixes -- that it makes me wonder. Hopefully MMM will chime in with some sage thoughts.

Matt

18. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

As far as the stereo LP's go, the older ones (coming from the superior, 2nd mix) most always sound lackluster to poor because they got screwed with too much. At the least, the N14 side two made it through with good fidelity, but I don't know of others from back then that can touch it. They might be out there, but I've given up looking for now. After that, it's reissues only if you want good sound on this album.

I get the impression that cutting moves were decided upon (for one reason or another), and they were typically followed, at least through the '60's, with an occasional engineer smartly ignoring that and mastering it better (and more honest to the tape).

19. MLutthans

So, when we compare the earlier pressings (not the initial "wrong mix" pressings, but the early batches that used the common stereo mix) to the reissue pressings, there is clearly more reverb on the earlier pressings. Was that the result of reverb being added during the cutting stage, "live to disc," basically, even though the "stereo master tape" was dry by comparison? How, then, is the MFSL so "wet" compared to the SM-/SN-series? MFSL was not adding any reverb in the cutting stage. I don't claim to have the answers, but it does seem odd that the reverb would be drastically reduced on the reissues, unless there was an unpublicized remix.

Thoughts?

Matt

20. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I never noticed differences in echo level on them, Matt, just mastering differences that might affect it.

21. MLutthans

Yep, you are correct. I just carefully A/B'd them, and can hear no difference in reverb level.

Matt

PS - The MFSL and SM/SN-series are out of polarity vis a vis each other. Top: Right channel from the SN-series; bottom: right channel from the MFSL.

Attached Files:

22. Ryan

I finally cleaned and listened to my yellow label copy tonight.

The things that struck me the most were the clarity and the wide soundstage. Songs like "Saturday Night" and "The Song is You" explode from the speakers! A tad more echo than I like still, but it's a minor complaint.

23. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Martin, is there a way to identify the first mix by matrix info? I just picked up a super clean original 9 o'clock STEREO copy of Come Dance With Me with handwritten matrix numbers:
    SW-1-1069-D11 2 *
    SW-2-1069-D11 1 *

I haven't had a chance to listen yet, hope it's a good one...

24. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Aaron, it would be hard. It comes down to knowing what was the first cut that was taken from the replacement mix, both for LA and NY. I don't know what it is. Even then, it'd be interesting if they ever used it again, by mistake if the original stereo mix tapes weren't destroyed. I don't think they were used years later, but...

Besides the clips on Matt's site, it's pretty easy to tell if you have the first or second mix - the first one has somewhat detached sounding echo coming off of Frank's voice, sent to the right.

D11 has the first (inferior) mix - I have a copy. Pressing made in L.A. as well.

25. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Thanks martin!