Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion - Come Dance with Me (released 1959)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by serge, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Lonstein's and Marino's book (1970) lists Heinie Beau.

2. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

The Beau songs are supposed to be The Last Dance, Saturday Night & Too Close For Comfort in case anyone in SH land is wondering.

3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

To be most accurate: I have the revised edition from 1979, but the original copyright date is 1970. That's The Revised Compleat Sinatra, by Albert I. Lonstein and Vito R. Marino, ISBN 0-87990-000-8.

4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Some of you may recall that a few months ago stevelucille sent a 7.5 ips reel to me, and that the sound was good, but the tape was fairly mangled. Yesterday, I purchased another 7.5 ips reel. This one included a March, 1963, tape catalog, and had slightly different packaging and a different design to the plastic reel itself. The sound is (as far as I can tell) essentially identical, except that side two has the channels reversed. There are a couple of dropouts at the start/end of the sides, but otherwise, sound is excellent. Highly recommended.

Matt

5. MLutthans

I finally listened carefully to and transferred my "new" 7.5 ips reel (2nd copy I've had, the other having been on loan from Stevelucille), and I think I'm siding with McLover: This is the best sounding version of COME DANCE WITH ME. (The reels were first released in 1961.) It sounds like that excellent SM-series LP, but with a wider stereo image and (more) bass. Very tasty.

The more time I spend with these versions, I'm leaning more toward the Dell LP as being slightly superior to the SM/SN versions, but all three LPs are very nice....and the tape wins, I think.

IMO, of course, and all of the above are excellent.

Matt

Simon A and rxcory like this.
  6. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Matt. Are all of the SM series albums this good? I was thinking of picking up a few since they are usually easier to find in NM condition than the originals.

7. MLutthans

As far as the stereo titles go, I think they sound good, but beware that some titles are abridged. COME DANCE WITH ME, COME FLY WITH ME, and NO ONE CARES are complete, and I like all three. In fact, I was able to find sealed copies for cheap on Ebay. (In the case of COME DANCE, my SN-copy uses the same stampers as the SM series, by the way, so that may be another option.)

Matt

8. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I dug out my SM copy of "Sinatra's Swingin' Session" yesterday after decades of neglect on the shelf. It sounded surprisingly good to me! I will have to give my other SM copies a spin soon.

9. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

At least as far as the AFM files are concerned, I doubt Beau is listed as an arranger (maybe as a copyist if he served that function at all for May). Without having seen these particular files (but plenty of others), May is likely listed on the back of the sheet along with his arranging fee - probably a few grand - since he would have been the one contracted to do the arrangements. Any payments to Beau would likely have been worked out by May and Beau, not Beau and the union. I could be wrong, certainly, but this has been my experience when looking over Nat Cole AFM contracts.

10. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

So the "ghostwriter" would have been paid by the main arranger then , and not "directly"? Where did you find any documentation (like Matt was asking about here) for the ghosting arranger on Nat's sessions, if any?

11. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Such information about ghostwriting (on Sinatra tracks, at least) usually came from word-of-mouth interviews with the parties involved, rather than the session documentation.

12. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Typically the only way I've been able to determine any ghostwritten charts, other than in interviews with participants, is to view the chart itself, or have someone with access to the chart confirm the arranger for me - probably the reason I've only uncovered a few. BYU, for instance, has thousands of Capitol manuscripts and I learned through this archive that Billy May had at least three arrangements farmed out on one of his albums with Cole, one to the same Heine Beau discussed earlier.

13. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks... I'm a little surprised in some ways, but not in others. So that goes back to questioning where/how this was first documented.

14. DukeLee

DukeLee Well-Known Member

How to identify the Alan Dell LPs

Could anyone help identify the catalog numbers for the 1984 Dell LPs that have done so well in many of these Sinatra Capitol record sound quality comparison threads?

Based on these threads and Matt's Capitol Scorecard, I have been trying to track down good copies of several of the Dell records, including Come Dance With Me. It is confusing trying to figure out what catalog numbers to look for. There is not much information on the Dell record issues floating around the web.

There are 20 records in the 1984 Dell box set, so one would think they would have a consistent scheme for their catalog numbers, but if so, I haven't found it. I think the surest sign of a Dell record is a certain round silver emblem on the cover. But I'm not sure they all have it.

The most common scheme seems to be a catalog number of LCT #### (i.e., LCT followed by a space and then four digits). Come Dance With Me, for instance, is sometimes listed as LCT 6179. But I also see listings that add an S to the start of this catalog number, so that Come Dance With Meis SLCT 6179. But I have also seen the following catalog numbers attached to issues of Come Dance With Me that I think might still be the 1984 Dell: 1A 038 26 0080 1; 1A-038 2600801; 038-26 0080 1; RI#2600801.

The LCT #### format seems to be the most common one for the Dell series, but for some albums, I can't find one like that. The only catalog number I've got for Close to You, for instance, is ED_26_0138_1.

I have also picked up some clues that LCT #### may indicate a mono record, while SLCT #### indicates a stereo record. But I'm not sure. It certainly would be interesting if the Dell records were issued in both stereo and mono versions. But if so, which ones were evaluated via Matt's sound clips? (I didn't get to hear them.)

Is there anyone who understands the 1984 Dell series well enough to explain how to identify one? I would be glad to learn!

Gary

15. MLutthans

No -- LCT is original British pressings, not Dell versions. Most of the Dells are available in both British pressings and in DMM Dutch pressings. The British pressings typically start with "ED," but a couple start with "CAPS," while at least some of the Dutch pressings start with "1A."

Feel free to PM me if there is an item you are considering, but are unable to tell for sure.

Also, in the case of the British Dell versions, in most cases, there will be a "Never Sounded Better" round sticker affixed to the front cover (not to the cellophane), so if there are photos involved, they are easy to spot. (See, for instance, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FRANK-SINATRA...t=UK_Records&hash=item5d28c55d63#ht_500wt_940 )

Also, I'm not sure which titles you are considering. Most are quite nice, but I would avoid SWING EASY and IN THE WEE SMALL HOURS.

Matt

16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Not so (as Matt just mentioned). I don't own the 20-LP box, so perhaps someone else can confirm the following list from my files:
    1. CAPS 1008 In The Wee Small Hours
    2. ED 260081 Swing Easy
    3. ED 260074 Songs For Young Lovers
    4. ED 260180 Come Swing With Me
    5. SLCT 6106 Songs For Swingin' Lovers
    6. ED 260138 Close To You
    7. CAPS 260017 A Swingin' Affair
    8. CAPS 260018 Where Are You
    9. ED 260095 Come Fly With Me
    10. ED 260080 Come Dance With Me
    11. ED 260139 Only The Lonely
    12. ED 260140 Look To Your Heart
    13. ED 260141 No One Cares
    14. ED 260142 Nice 'N' Easy
    15. ED 260246 Sinatra's Swingin' Session
    16. ED 260179 All The Way
    17. ED 260177 Point Of No Return
    18. ED 260178 Sings Of Love And Things
    19. ED 260698 This Is Sinatra
    20. ED 260699 This Is Sinatra Volume Two
    Note 1: Box set order is not chronological.
    Note 2: Most of the above catalog numbers are followed by a trailing 1 (not shown).

17. MLutthans

Bob, I'm merely asking because I don't know the answer, so forgive my pushiness.

Do you actually own that version of SWINGIN' LOVERS? (Maybe as a single LP, since I see you don't own the complete box?) It seems odd that they would merely re-use the old prefix/number on that title, especially since in Holland the Dell issue received a new catalog number: 1A 038-18 0810 1, which would correlate (using other titles in the series as examples) with a British release number of ED 18 08101, which may or may not exist, I suppose.

Just asking and trying to get clarification.

And on another, related note: There has been some discussion in this thread (and other of the ongoing Sinatra threads) as to when the control room(s) at Capitol were remodeled to better accommodate stereophonic master recording. I came across this blurb on page 297 of AMERICA ON RECORD by A.J. Millard. Any truth to it???? (I would suggest that sonic evidence leans toward a remodel in very late 1958, but that's going by "ears only.")

Matt

Attached Files:

18. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

No: As I indicated, that list is secondhand information, but all from the same source. It's highly possible the number for SFSL is a mistake (especially because of the "S" in front, which has been suggested to represent "Stereo"). That's why I asked for confirmation from someone who actually has the box set (or the separate album, of course).

I'm sure someone will know firsthand. If it turns out to be wrong, I trust you'll do the editing honors, Matt. :)

19. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Duke.
    I havce one of these box sets coming and will keep you posted in the couple weeks.

20. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

All of the Alan Dell Sinatra LPs carry a small note about reissuing the Sinatra Capitol catalogue on the back, signed with a facsimile of Alan Dell's handwriting "Sincerely, Alan Dell".

21. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

I have the Dell box, so after work I will confirm the catalog numbers.

22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Matt, in that AES/Putnam paperwork (I don't remember which file offhand), 1959 was noted for the changes at the Capitol Tower studios.

23. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

All the catalog numbers above are correct (according to my box). One addition is 'Come Swing With Me!', cat no: ED 260180. (so, 21 LPs)

They did use the old SLCT number for Swingin' Lovers, which makes it harder to identify - if buying on the net, you need to see the rear cover which has the Alan Dell signature.

24. MLutthans

Ah, it sure does, in "A THIRTY-FIVE YEAR HISTORY AND EVOLUTION OF THE RECORDING STUDIO."

Attached Files:

25. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

From Melrose to the early days of the Tower and the end of the 1950's you can hear the change.

The years prior to 1958 if that is when the change took place, were
    close to perfection.

As much as I love the music on SFSL, CFWM , CDWM and onward
    I have increasing difficulty enjoying the music without distraction.