Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: Come Fly with Me (recorded 1957)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Nov 11, 2009.

1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Nice to see/hear that in this day of hip hop and rap songs being played as "walk-up" songs as MLB players come to bat that White Sox 3B Scott Frazer uses the Capitol recording of "Come Fly with Me" as his walk-up tune!!!!!!:pineapple::targettiphat:

2. SamTheSham968

SamTheSham968 Forum Resident

ProStudioMasters now selling a high-res stereo version of CFWM. Haven't heard it yet. How do these things happen with so little advance notice?…

3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Frank Sinatra; Billy May & His Orchestra, Come Fly With Me (Stereo Version) in High-Resolution Audio »

Added this week, and on sale for 25% off (which is unusual?). The page says "(P) 2016 Capitol Records, LLC." It's also listed at Qobuz:

Come Fly With Me | Frank Sinatra »

Perhaps this portends an upcoming vinyl reissue of the stereo album? I might have thought that unlikely, since the mono was reissued less than two years ago, but who knows?

Simon A likes this.
  4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Thank you for the advance notice. :) I don't think I've ever seen official notice of any kind for hi-res Sinatra releases, advance or otherwise. They just show up on the HD websites (and not always at the same time). See this SFF post, for the complete list:

Frank Sinatra albums in high-resolution audio? - Page 2 »

5. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Thank you. I'll check iTunes as well...

6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Um.....the clips at ProStudioMasters are mono.

Bob F likes this.
  7. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

It is on iTunes: CFWM (Stereo Version) (P) 2016
    Not sure if I should get this or stick to my Walsh'87 version....???

8. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

The iTunes samples are mono too.:rant:

9. MLutthans

Are we in a weird time warp and it's 2009 again? From another thread, November 12, 2009:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    aza14782, kennyluc1, bozburn and 2 others like this.
  10. teag

teag Forum Resident

I wish the time warp would extend to more MFSL releases!!

mpayan, aza14782, Simon A and 3 others like this.
  11. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Love the UMe release from a couple years back, but I still feel that this was the one that got away...
    (Credit to @MLutthans for the image)

mpayan likes this.
  12. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Anything new about this new download release? I hope they'll correct the mono/stereo problem...

13. SamTheSham968

Well, figuring that the samples hopefully were not taken from the actual release, I bought it from ProStudioMasters -- and found that the album being sold as stereo really is mono. So I have an inquiry out to customer service; the initial the response is:

"Thank you very much for your order and your message concerning the stereo version of Frank Sinatra's "Come Fly With Me." We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.

I have forwarded your comments to our engineering department and our business office and I will get back to you as soon as I have news.

We thank you in advance for your patience."

In the past I've been pleased with their website and service, so I guess we'll see. Will post when I have an update.

14. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

In other words: thanks for nothing. Great customer service....

15. MLutthans

The new "stereo version" has now been removed from the ProStudioMasters.com website, and from iTunes. It's still at Qobuz, in the "Electro" section, of course:
    Screen shot 2016-08-22 at 3.13.36 PM.png
    Side note: I see that Qobuz uses the same little "Hi-Res Audio" logo (upper right) as Sony does on their HX500 turntable.
    [​IMG]
    I assume the turntable plays in stereo. :p

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    Simon A likes this.
  16. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

So, maybe the corrected version is coming soon...

aza14782 likes this.
  17. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It's also still at Acoustic Sounds ».

Over at the SFF, Nancy posted that UMe is aware of the problem and working on a fix. No date given yet.

18. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

From Nancy Sinatra today »

Simon A likes this.
  19. SamTheSham968

ProStudioMasters customer service to me: "Once again thank you for your understanding. As you may have noticed, we removed the Frank Sinatra album from our website as soon as this issue was brought to our attention. We apologize for the inconvenience.

We have requested the stereo files from the record company and will make them available to you as soon as we receive them."

I think they've been quite responsive, and I don't blame them for "the record company" providing the wrong files.

Ridin'High and Simon A like this.
  20. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

True but you CAN blame them for NOT listening to the files once they received them from the record company...

It sounds like pure laziness.

MarkusGermany likes this.
  21. mahanusafa02

True, and while I tend to agree, there are also plenty of folks here on the forum who can't tell the difference between mono and stereo period, much less between certain releases, no matter how distinctive the mix. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that many of the staff at a high-res music download company would just consider it a j-o-b and not be able to, either.

Ridin'High and aza14782 like this.
  22. AJH

AJH Senior Member

You just have to wonder if anyone, either at the record company or the download sites, actually listens to these files before they are posted for distribution or sale?

colormesinatra and aza14782 like this.
  23. aza14782

aza14782 Forum Resident

This is actually something that really surprises me everytime I see it. It's not to say I'm a super observant guy that notices the smallest things (unless I'm actively looking for them), but how people do not even notice a difference between mono and stereo is beyond me. Unless I really start to point it out (listen for x coming from the left side or y coming from the right), the absolute vast majority of people won't notice anything even with, as you said, the most distinctive mono vs stereo mixes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

24. mahanusafa02

It surprises me too, although I was once fooled by a Duophonic "mix" :hide:

25. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Forum Resident

I doubt anyone would listen to the files at these companies, there's just too much product released! You'd have to pay someone (or someones) to do it full time, and HD being such a niche market - they couldn't afford to.

Quincy and MarkusGermany like this.