Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: "Point of No Return" - rec. 1961*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by paulmock, Feb 5, 2012.

1. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Wonderful, Matt! Some of my favorite tracks of the whole Sinatra-Capitol oeuvre are on PONR.

I think that "When the World was Young," "I'll Remember April," and "There Will Never Be...." are as good as anything else he recorded in this era.

Bob, what had Stordahl been doing in the intervening 8 years? For whom/what was he writing charts?

I think that if FS had stayed with Stordahl during the fifties, he would not be considered the "artist" that he is today. He would have enjoyed a commercial comeback on the basis of "Eternity," and he would have had hit albums/singles. But its his collaborations with Riddle that raise his work at Capitol to the level of high art, and that propel FS as a singer to a level beyond his otherwise magnificent peers like, Bing, Tony, Nat, Mel, Ella, Peggy and Peggy.

Nick Dunning, vonwegen, hodgo and 2 others like this.
  2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

(I'm not Bob, but...) Stordahl had done some of his own "exotica"-style albums (including a series of "Strings of Stordahl" LPs on Capitol), and also (in NYC) worked for Eddie Fisher, who was quite popular in the mid-50s. Note Artie's "Liz & Eddie split" t-shirt:
    [​IMG]

rangerjohn likes this.
  3. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

I haven't listened to this album in a very long time. Now, I'm gonna have to dust it off and play it!

4. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

Is the monaural version simply a folddown or a unique mix?

5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Not that it has anything to do with POINT OF NO RETURN, but I just watched Axel conducting on a 1951 episode of Frank's TV show (the one with Dagmar). Her line, "Mr. Strudel, would you vamp me please?", was one of the more memorable parts of that program.

From Wikipedia, after he split with Sinatra in 1953...
    And, of course, there was the work he did for Simon and Garfunkel! :D

6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I think this was discussed once before, and the consensus was: folddown. Perhaps Matt will post some samples for further analysis?

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

NOT FOLD.

fortherecord likes this.
  8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I just found the earlier discussion (here). These were a few of the comments:

9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Matt, maybe pick one song from each side, instead of two from side 2? I can't remember if "I'll Be Seeing You" on THE CAPITOL YEARS is the same as on the '87 CD. If it is, "As Time Goes By" (that you've already chosen) makes sense due to the ROMANCE compilation variant.

10. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Old Coder sent along some clips from the 1998 UK CD (from the British EMI boxed set), and just for yuks, I compared a couple of them with the 1984 UK LP (which I bought new in 1984 -- that's 29 years ago, y'all, which means I am OLD), and I was struck by how dark and heavy the UK CD clips are compared to the UK 1984 LP. I'm not saying it's better or worse (dark and heavy may serve this album well, I suppose, and I have spent enough time with the clips to reach any "value" conclusions), but a very different sound compared to its UK counterpart.

Having enjoyed the Dell LP for nearly 30 years (along with other pressings that I also like), I pretty-well agree with feinstei9415's post, but I'm very eager to put other versions through the sausage maker and see what comes out.

Just sayin'! The two Dells appear to be different experiences altogether.

McLover, hodgo and rangerjohn like this.
  11. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Against union rules, I believe.

McLover and MichaelM like this.
  12. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I've only just noticed this thread and its good to see Matt reviewing this wonderful album, I'm looking forward to Matt's take on the different releases, my go to for this is the 1984 Alan Dell LP which I think sounds very nice indeed.

rangerjohn likes this.
  13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

September 11–12, 1961. Two consecutive nights; six songs each night. Frank Sinatra's final recording sessions at the Capitol Tower.

Discussion of this album always sends me back to Robin Douglas-Home's 1962 biography, Sinatra. The young British author was present, invited by Sinatra. He devotes a chapter to the first session, which is described in beautiful detail. These are photos taken that night:

Sinatra-1.jpg Sinatra-2.jpg Sinatra-3.jpg Sinatra-4.jpg

ZenJedi, dav-here, wave and 4 others like this.
  14. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

More session photos by Robin Douglas-Home:

Sinatra-5.jpg Sinatra-6.jpg Sinatra-7.jpg Sinatra-8.jpg

15. rangerjohn

fabulous photos, bob! thanks.

dav-here and Bob F like this.
  16. rangerjohn

i'd love to know the color of that pocket square.....

17. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

According to Douglas-Home: "He wore a well-cut dark grey suit; a dark-grey felt hat crowned him jauntily; a red and yellow silk handkerchief peeked perkily from his breast-pocket; the black bows on his patent leather pumps winked from under the knife-edge creases."

ZenJedi and rangerjohn like this.
  18. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I had posted this once before somewhere on the forum. Someone put up a color picture from the session, and I did some adjustment on it:

[​IMG]

Note the use of a U67 mic on Frank for this album...

wave, Bob F and rangerjohn like this.
  19. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

Any anecdotes on how Sinatra treated Stordahl at these sessions? Was he rude to Stordahl? Did he show any affection towards him?

20. rangerjohn

Nice work Bob and Martin! Thanks. The color version of that photo was tucked somewhere back in my subconscious.

Speaking of the U67 and the Tower: how long would it be before FS would once again release an album as well-recorded as this one? Moonlight? My Way? Watertown? Blue Eyes?

21. Steve Hoffman

Dear God, he looks unhappy in those shots.

22. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Yes that was my thought too Steve, he really looks as though he's only there under duress.

dav-here and Steve Hoffman like this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

Painful.

dav-here and hodgo like this.
  24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Martin's photo, and another from the same session, with additional color correction to match Douglas-Home's description of the grey suit and hat:

Sinatra-color-1.jpg Sinatra-color-2.jpg

ZenJedi and Squad 701 like this.
  25. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

That's in the ear of the beholder. As a whole of United-Western sessions, I generally like the sound of the recordings Lowell Frank did (even with that controversial to some vocal mic). 'OL BLUE EYES IS BACK does sound really good, but that was done at Goldwyn by Ed Greene IIRC. I was playing that last week...

Sim2 likes this.