Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: "Point of No Return" - rec. 1961*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by paulmock, Feb 5, 2012.

1. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

If Frank wasn't happy about doing this session I think he was really ungrateful, he signed the contract with Capitol at a time when no other company was rushing to sign him, his period at Capitol made him the artist and legend he became, without Capitol he'd be just another singer continuing to record using rather conservative arrangements under Axel Stordahl, as much as I love "Point Of No Return", it took the inspirational arangements of Nelson Riddle for him to atain the heights he would otherwise never have reached had he continued to use Stordahl, add to that Gordon Jenkins & Billy May and Frank was made life.

None of this takes anything away from the amazing talent of the man but even the best sometimes need a bit of luck or help from someone along the way, this is something I think the ego that was Frank Sinatra sadly forgot about.

Jonathan L and wave like this.
  2. While we can see from the photos on this thread that FS was clearly in "contractual obligation mode" for this album, with a few exceptions, the results bely the attitude displayed by him during the recording sessions...still a wonderful album despite his understandable misgivings about making it...

MMM likes this.
  3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Steve, Graham, et. al.: You really should read Robin Douglas-Home's account. There's nothing to indicate that Sinatra was unhappy, irritated, or impatient at these sessions. To the contrary, the author stresses how intensely focused on the music Sinatra was. After all, this was not upbeat material. "One vibrant gut-wrenching track after another" is how he puts it. He even repeats several jokes which FS exchanged with the musicians. I think you're reading too much into those photos.

4. hodgo

Thanks Bob I'll have to check this out for sure. I've always thought that Frank had a deep affection for Axel Stordahl and never thought for once he wouldn't treat him with anything but the utmost respect.

Regarding my comments and putting this session aside, I do stand by my opinion that Frank was ungrateful in his later views towards Capitol whilst seeing out his time for them for the reasons I stated above. At the same time though I do understand his (and for that matter Ray Charles) urge to own their own recordings, its just that I believe that without Capitol (or in Ray's case Atlantic) he wouldn't be seen as the great artist he truly was and became, you should never forget those who helped get you there.

EDIT.... I'm not suggesting for one minute that Ray Charles resented Atlantic in this way, he made the switch to ABC and moved on.

McLover likes this.
  5. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Much of this album is really good, and it has a certain quality to it overall I can't put my finger on that's just beautiful. I do agree with some criticism that I've seen written about this version of "These Foolish Things" (and I LOVE the Columbia version Frank did), but some people think it's great. Side 1 sounds to me like they structured it to have the two weakest performances in the middle ("September Song" and "A Million Dreams ago"). Even then, "Million" is pretty nice, and the other four songs on that side are very strong. Side 2 is not quite up to side 1, but sort of seems similarly sequenced. If pushed I'd probably pick Nat singing "Somewhere Along the Way" over Frank's, but I really like Frank's version and it's close for me. I don't think Frank ever quite got the best he might of out of "I'll Be Seeing You", though all his versions are fine (I'd choose the Dorsey version as best). This version of "Memories of You" is excellent, but I like the withheld from SWINGIN' LOVERS! Riddle arranged version even better (which I think is one of the very best recordings Frank ever made).

DLant likes this.
  6. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I love how in the RAY movie they had Ahmet tell Ray (when discussing his leaving Atlantic for ABC Paramount) something like "even Sinatra doesn't get that kind of deal". :) I was talking about that with someone yesterday. Also from that movie "You think pennies, you get pennies. You think dollars, you get dollars" (or the equivalent on your side of the pond).

hodgo likes this.
  7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I don't know where some of these rumors come from (e.g. Frank being rude to Axel).

With all due respect to the copyright holders, here's a fair-use extract from Douglas-Home's book:
    Sure doesn't sound like an unhappy guy to me. :rolleyes:

McLover, D.B., wave and 4 others like this.
  8. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Thanks for sharing, Bob.

I don't have Friedwald's book handy, but aren't there some quotes from Bill Miller in there regarding Sinatra's mood at the session? Or maybe I'm thinking of Alan Livingston...

9. hodgo

Martin I remember that too, its a great film for sure, before he died didn't Ray act as a consultant during the making of the movie.

It's been a long time since I read Ray's autobiography but I seem to recall Ray himself relating this conversation with Ahmet in it.

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Very possibly, yes.

11. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Yep, Bill Miller, Al Viola, and Milt Bernhart, among others:
    There are some negative memories about Sinatra rushing through the sessions, but I find them suspect. In particular, Milt Bernhart claims they went through six songs in an hour each night, but Douglas-Home clearly reports the sessions ran from 8:30 to almost midnight.

12. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Sounds just a tad hyperbolic.

13. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

He's got a "Let's Get This Over With" look.

14. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

I love them both. Each exquisite in an emphatic and understated way, respectively.

I don't know how the Riddle version never wound up on a single in the 50s--as a b-side at least!

DLant likes this.
  15. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

I think that Frank handles the transitions from the macho boulevardier to the winsome lover better than Nat. Although Nat's French pronunciations are more convincing.

McLover likes this.
  16. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

"When the World Was Young" is my favorite song from the album, but then again, Johnny Mercer is my favorite lyricist.

17. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

I doubt anyone has ever said that about Nat's French (or Spanish, or Italian, or German, or Japanese). :D

mahanusafa02 likes this.
  18. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

My guess is that much of that perceived look may have come from Frank realizing that he was once again working for "the man" rather than being "The Man" when doing the same kind of work just down the street. At Capitol, he was getting "deal x" for the album, while at Reprise he was getting whatever the boss told him, and he was the boss!

A number of those shots look quite focused, and while I can see where they don't look cheerful, per se, I'm not sure that they look purely negative.

I think that, in its unique way, The Concert Sinatra was probably recorded as well, but the multi-stage mixdowns have diminished its quality considerably. For my money, the first Sinatra Reprise album that had really first class sound (as released) wasn't until 1021 (!!), Sinatra/Jobim.
    Matt

hodgo, Bob F and rangerjohn like this.
  19. MLutthans

I see the French Horns were relegated to the far right, and it looks like they may be actually playing into the wall, with an RCA 77 picking up the reflected sound. (Odds are that every mic in the joint was picking up a little bit of the horn sound! Poor fellas. No love....)
    Sinatra-6.jpg

kevinsinnott and rangerjohn like this.
  20. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Is that De Rosa to Sinatra's left?

21. MLutthans

I think so, yes. Here's a 1965 photo, taken at a Mancini session at RCA across from the Cinerama Dome, that I posted of him in another thread (see here and here):
    [​IMG]

22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Vince DeRosa is listed in the Silva discography as one of the French horn players on the date, along with John Cave and Richard Perissi.

23. MLutthans

24. hodgo

I'm loving this thread already, all the wonderful pics, inside info and knowledge you guys all have is simply wonderful. :righton:

Gardo and DLant like this.
  25. hodgo

What about the version with Sammy being Nat duetting with Nat. :laugh:

Dan Steely and MMM like this.