Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality (and general discussion): Singles, Soundtracks, Etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Aug 10, 2013.

1. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

I also need to look at the deadwax info for you. Damn. I'm getting old... I keep forgetting stuff.

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Re: It's the Same Old Dream (in stereo)

I just noticed something regarding the Sammy Cahn CD:

While it does a very nice job of filtering out that odd, bass-y fluff-y defect at the end of the track, it does a very clumsy/poor job trying to filter out Frank's many "popping p" sounds on the vocal mic earlier in the track. On The Capitol Years, then, you get the "problems" fully in-tact, and they can be distracting, while on the Sammy Cahn CD, you get some of the problems expertly removed, but others clumsily/distractingly removed. Pick your poison? (I've revised the web page to reflect this, FWIW.)

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  3. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Jordan: These were certainly the first of Sinatra's "Songs I Wish Columbia Would Stop Releasing" sessions. I have always wondered if Capitol aborted this album project; if indeed that's what it was, as they felt Sinatra was only competing with himself and not other singers.

Perry Como was hounded by RCA to follow Sinatra and Nat King Cole's lead and re-record and update his hits of the 40's and early 50's especially after the advent of stereo. Como's answer was always "Why should I compete with...myself?"

4. MLutthans

Let's go waaaaaaaaaay back to singles session #9, August 23, 1954
    [​IMG]

I've added clips from that 1954 (date according to Goldmine) 10" promo LP that I recently purchased (link). The songs are "White Christmas" and "The Christmas Waltz."

http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1954_-_SinglesEtc9.html

Like most of the masterings of these two songs, it's kinda "meh." (IMO)

MMM, Bob Belvedere and Bob F like this.
  5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

MMM, Bob Belvedere and MLutthans like this.
  6. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

@MLutthans

Matt, here is the wax info from my 10 track Duophonic This is Sinatra Vol. 2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. MLutthans

Hi, Dustin. That's the same cut I have (J-1 on both sides). The last two cuts on side two are real stereo on my copy.

Also, for anybody who may not know or may have forgotten why @mahanusafa02 and (assumedly) others think that the November 25, 1957 session is a real curiosity, here's Bob's excellent recap that got posted a while back and then kind of neglected while I was pokey getting any samples posted:
    Just to reinforce the oddness of the mono/stereo situation, while mono issues hit the shelves in 1958, stereo mixes, some problematic, did not see release -- at least for the four tracks from this Nov. 25, 1957 session -- until 1990, 1995, and 1996.

Here's the link to the audio clips one more time: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1957_-_SinglesEtc34.html

bozburn and DLant like this.
  8. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Also, I'm still looking for somebody who actually owns this EP, both for The Lady is a Tramp and now for Witchcraft. Anybody????
    [​IMG]

Sorry to jump in so late to answer your question re: this EP, but I have a UK issue of this.

9. marmil

@Mullthans - I've also got (2 copies) this - too late to be useful?
    This one, either in it's UK or Australian versions:
    [​IMG]

DLant likes this.
  10. marmil

*Both of the above should have read @MLutthans

DLant likes this.
  11. marmil

DLant likes this.
  12. MLutthans

It's okay. I answer to anything!
    Thanks, but I've got it, too. THE LADY IS A TRAMP clip posted: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1956_-_SinglesEtc28.html
    WITCHCRAFT clip posted: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1957_-_SinglesEtc31.html

Well, there are only three singles tracks on there. Nobody chimed in with a clip from SOUTH OF THE BORDER, so if you're bored, feel free, and I'll happily post it. @stevelucille sent in a clip from SOMETHING WONDERFUL HAPPENS IN SUMMER (from the UK LP -- thank you), and we haven't yet reached THE MOON WAS YELLOW.

Clips are always appreciated. Thanks! PM if you need details.

I think you'll be pleased, overall!

DLant likes this.
  13. marmil

i have the UK "All the Way" and I have the 4-45 set of Pal Joey on the way.

MLutthans and DLant like this.
  14. MLutthans

Re: My One and Only Love

Does anybody happen to have this 1982 Argentinian EMI LP?
    s-l1600-13.jpg
    It may be a chance to get a good sounding, non-Look-to-Your-Heart-hit-with-the-ugly-stick, non-Norberged version. Then again, it could be Duophonic.

15. MLutthans

Bump for the above, plus:

Since I see it recently sold off of Ebay, meaning the photo will soon vanish into the E-ether, here's a shot of one of the best looking labels (IMO) that Capitol ever put out, a special commemorative issue of "All the Way," pressed in small quantities when the song won the Academy Award:
    s-l1600-14b copy.jpg
    What is that? Dark brown (almost black) with gold-ish lettering? Very handsome, regardless.

MMM likes this.
  16. marmil

If the copy that you sold had that tape mark on it, I'm the one that bought it! And I thank you.

17. marmil

Uh, never mind. I mis-read your post. But I did buy a copy of that, with tape mark, from ebay.

18. MLutthans

Nah, I didn't buy it (or sell it), but if I were to buy a Capitol 45 just for the "look" of it, that's the one I'd get, and I've been admiring that one for some time now (with no desire to purchase, FYI -- so you can sleep at night). :agree:

Can you confirm that the color is pretty accurate in that photo?

19. MLutthans

Looking next at the December 11, 1957 tracks.....

Is The Complete Capitol Singles Collection the only stereo release for "You'll Always Be the One I Love?"

20. MLutthans

Comparison of "You'll Always Be the One I Love" again indicates that the c. 1994 This is Frank Sinatra, 1953-1957 MFP UK CD is sourced from the same digital tapes as the 1985 Dell LP (identical waveforms, very similar sound). The Japanese This is Sinatra, Volume Two LP from 1984 continues to be a puzzler, as, despite being an excellent source for a couple tracks from the previous session, it's a total dud (zero sparkle, very dark tone) on this track. Of the eight versions I've checked out, two are totally hammered by the limiter/compressor: The early '60s UK My Funny Valentine LP (a dreadful sounding LP, on the whole) and the 1998 UK boxed set This is Sinatra, Volume Two CD.

EDIT: Somebody here -- maybe @marmil ??? -- has this album:
    R-4064318-1354873905-4619.jpeg.jpg
    Can you confirm that "You'll Always Be the One I Love" is Duophonic? (I am almost certain it would be.)

More to follow, and if anybody would like to send a clip my way, I'll be happy to post it. Same for the next two tracks from the same session: "If You Are but a Dream" and "Put Your Dreams Away." I'm especially hoping that somebody can send along stereo and/or mono clips from Capitol's The Great Years LP set and the "Mastercard" promotional CDs. (Thank you in advance to anybody who may be able to do that.)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  21. MLutthans

Bump for the above post, plus:
    Anybody able to confirm that?

Plus, for You'll Always Be the One I Love, I now have samples posted for these releases:
    Screen shot 2016-01-22 at 6.19.38 PM.png
    Opinions always appreciated, so please feel free to listen and share. :)

Webpage with audio files: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1957_-_SinglesEtc35.html

22. MLutthans

Continuing with You'll Always Be the One I Love, FWIW, my take on things:
    Screen shot 2016-01-22 at 8.22.10 PM.png
    Clips at the link one post above.

(I think that's only the fourth time that I've picked an original release as the top choice, and one of those was a tie. Would love opinions from other ears, as always....)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  23. MLutthans

Just on the off chance.....
    R-6087657-1410732194-6803.jpeg.jpg
    Anybody here have this Brazilian LP? (It is one of the few comps that contains "If You Are But a Dream.")

24. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

After some listening to all the "Time After Time" clips, I prefer the Sinatra 80th even with all the qualifications. Of the mono versions I have, I like the MFP best, but still prefer the stereo. As for "Everybody Loves Somebody" the mono MFP version far surpasses any other. The stereo is nice, but the off-mic sax solo on that one makes me turn to the mono.

MLutthans likes this.
  25. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

With the blizzard that just hit here on the east coast...it has me wishing Frank had recorded a Christmas album with Billy May at the helm, Come Shovel with Me!