Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality (and general discussion): Singles, Soundtracks, Etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Aug 10, 2013.

1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

How much of a deal were they? Only asking as Mr. S stuff is going pretty inexpensively these days.

ModernBingFan0377 likes this.
  2. ModernBingFan0377

ModernBingFan0377 Crosby ‘Connoisseur’

I had gotten it for cheap with a duophonic Swing Easy, no wonder it was sold for cheap…! Thankfully I got a Scranton pressing of the twofer of Swing Easy and Songs for Young Lovers today along with Trilogy for 9 dollars, a far cry from the asking price of 25 dollars for both of them.

paulmock likes this.
  3. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Great! You are getting into Mr. S at the right time as his popularity is heading into a very down period. Stock up while you can! And we will have a very good discussion on "The Future" I'm sure! And "Trilogy" as a whole.

hodgo and ModernBingFan0377 like this.
  4. ModernBingFan0377

Great period for collecting everyone actually! Maybe not for the right reasons, but still. In the last few weeks I snagged a 1960 mono pressing of Bing and Satchmo, a 1956 Verve original pressing of Bing Sings Whilst Bregman Sings (rather disappointing sound quality honestly), and some free Nat King Cole and Perry Como records. The original asking price for Bing and Satchmo was 10 dollars but the same guy that gave me a great discount on the Sinatras brought it down to 3 dollars, and I got those Cole and Como records for free from him.

bill44, Simon A, hodgo and 1 other person like this.
  5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Nice going!

6. Andrew Johnston

Andrew Johnston Forum Resident

Wow great for you!

7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Don't forget to get some Dick Haymes records as you collect.

8. ModernBingFan0377

I’ll keep an eye out for him, but to my memory I surprisingly haven’t came across him in the stores I’ve looked at, even if they readily stocked Bing, and 78s. I’ll have to look into him some.

9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

His two Capitol label LPs are superb.

His ballad recordings for Decca are great.

10. guerilla1977

guerilla1977 Forum Resident

Friends, I'm trying to piece together which of Frank's soundtrack recordings were unique recordings and which were taken from his movies. It's a l'il complicated. Can anyone confirm that my summary is correct?

High Society
    Mind If I Make Love To You: film version and soundtrack version are the same
    Well Did You Evah!: film version and soundtrack version are the same (well, the 'mono' soundtrack version before one of Bing's lines was removed from the 'stereo' version)
    Who Wants To Be a Millionaire?: film version and soundtrack version are the same
    You're Sensational: was re-recorded for the soundtrack because Frank was unhappy with his vocal on the film version
    Pal Joey
    I Didn't Know What Time It Was: re-recorded for the soundtrack
    There's a Small Hotel: re-recorded for the soundtrack
    I Could Write a Book: re-recorded for the soundtrack
    The Lady Is a Tramp: re-recorded for the soundtrack (actually, the film version was recorded after the Capitol version)
    Bewitched: does not appear in the film, recorded only for the soundtrack
    Dream Sequence Medley: was not re-recorded, film version appears on the soundtrack
    Can-Can
    *all songs in the film and on the soundtrack are the same
    C'est Magnifique
    Can-Can / Montmart
    I Love Paris (not in the film, but included on the soundtrack. Soundtrack version is a shorter version of what's on the "In Hollywood" boxed set)
    It's All Right With Me
    Let's Do It

Does this look right?

hodgo and ModernBingFan0377 like this.
  11. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

You basically have it. It's definitely a complicated situation when you get into the details, i.e., songs that are legitimately THE SAME, vs. parts are the same (I Could Write a Book) or that have different instrumental beginnings/endings. Lots of info here, but you'll need to plow through the details:
    High Society:
    Non-Album Tracks, 1956
    Non-Album Tracks, 1956
    Non-Album Tracks, 1956
    Non-Album Tracks, 1956

Pal Joey:
    Non-Album Tracks, 1957
    1957 - SinglesEtc33

Can-Can:
    Non-Album Tracks, 1959
    Non-Album Tracks, 1959
    Non-Album Tracks, 1959

Simon A, roda12, hodgo and 4 others like this.
  12. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

For the search engine: The quoted post (moved from another thread) and the reply by @MLutthans are easily missed by those searching for new “Sinatra” posts.

13. teag

teag Forum Resident

We just watched the DVD of Pal Joey last week. The version of Lady is a Tramp he does in the movie struck me as better than the released version. Is that version only available by watching the actual movie?

Hopefully I am not wrong and they are the same, but it sure sounded better/more interesting to me in that his vocal delivery in the movie was more "human", if you will, as opposed to the quite deliberate standard version (to me anyway).

JeffreyB likes this.
  14. guerilla1977

guerilla1977 Forum Resident

It's included in the Frank Sinatra In Hollywood 1940-1964 boxed set from 2002. Essential box (if you don't already have it)

paulmock likes this.
  15. teag

teag Forum Resident

Yes, I have that set! Duh. I will check that out - great version of a song I was tired of hearing until I heard the movie version again. Thanks.

hodgo and paulmock like this.
  16. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

And don't forget that Mr. S played the big businessman on that song. He received a pretty decent royalty for every LP copy of the "soundtrack" sold. He knew the song would be a hit and made sure that the only way to purchase "Lady" on any LP at the time was on that soundtrack. The song was originally in the lineup for release on A Swingin' Affair! but replaced with "No One Ever Tells You".

MLutthans, teag, hodgo and 2 others like this.
  17. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Just found a mint mono copy of the „Forever Frank“ album that is literally in beautiful unplayed condition. I only had a worn out duophonic copy in my collection since I was a kid. The difference between the two versions is like night and day. Still too bad that the mono version has added reverb as well. Still a nice listen because of the rare song program.

hodgo likes this.
  18. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

I just received a pristine copy of the 4-disc set The Great Films & Shows. I saw it on eBay and remembered that a few of the tracks turn up as top choice in @MLutthans scorecard. Made a lowball offer and got it for sround $20 shipped. Now, to listen.

19. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

I am far from a Sinatraphile or completist but this is a most enlightening thread. So far the 3-CD Columbia compilation has suited me fine, but now I'm in danger of becoming a Sinatraphile. I don't have the dough to be a completist!

rangerjohn and Simon A like this.
  20. MLutthans

Heck of a score! Good set that doesn't turn up that often.

LP, or CD?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
    wvk3 likes this.
  21. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

The Great Films and Shows is a beautiful Lp set. Very quiet vinyl and the artwork of the outer box looks very classy.

wvk3, hodgo and MLutthans like this.
  22. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

CD

MLutthans likes this.
  23. MLutthans

Same here.

24. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Going way back on this one, if you don't mind. Did this ever get solved? Pretty sure that's not Studio C, either the control room or the studio itself.

This photo, also by Herman Leonard but not featured at the linked website, reveals what I believe to be Capitol's New York studio. I couldn't begin to hazard what he was recording, but Riddle (seen in the photo) was known to be in NYC with FS when he played the Paramount in August 1956.

[​IMG]

AL01, kennyluc1, hodgo and 4 others like this.
  25. MLutthans

John Palladino mentioned "splays that came out" or words to that effect, in reference to Melrose studios, and I think (???) it was re: studio C. I would have to dig back through all of those interviews to find the precise reference. Now, two things can certainly be true at once, and they may have had a similar setup in the New York studios, I suppose.