Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: "This is Sinatra, Volume Two," Released 1958

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jan 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Songs Sinatra first sang in the '40s. Six of these were Columbia singles FS recorded from 1944–48 (four of which he also sang in movies). And he sang "You'll Always Be the One I Love" on radio in 1946.

Simon A and Pieter Kozak like this.
  2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

I'm not really disagreeing on the "spotty" comment. It's complicated. Different ears, different strokes, I guess, but I think there's also just the matter of semantics and the fact that this is a compilation LP. IMO, that 1985 UK LP is the best-sounding LP release the first volume of This is Sinatra has had. Being a compilation album cobbled together from eight different sessions over 2 and a half years, of course there is some inconsistency in quality from track to track, and I think that six of the twelve tracks have had better releases elsewhere, but as a stand-alone LP that contains these 12 particular songs, I'm not sure it has been bettered (but please see my disclaimer below). I guess that "spotty" is accurate, but I think anybody would be hard pressed to find an LP copy of This is Sinatra that is "less spotty" than the 1985 release. Some tracks sound better than others.
    (My usual disclaimer: If somebody is after these 12 songs -- 12 songs that were not recorded with the intent of being assembled in an album as a "unit" -- I'm not sure that looking specifically to "This is Sinatra" is the best way to go. These are singles that have been released and re-released in all different fashions over the years, and many of them have had their best-sounding releases in collections NOT titled "This is Sinatra." Gobs of info -- including links to sound clips so you can investigate and listen for yourself -- here:
    Original This is Sinatra tracks: This is Sinatra
    This is Sinatra, Volume Two tracks: This is Sinatra Volume 2

3. MLutthans

Back to Volume Two:
    I will repeat my usual "plug" in strong, strong support for buying the currently in-print Volume Two LP:
    I'm falling, I'm falling, I'm falling.... Get a copy!

Simon A, mpayan, bozburn and 2 others like this.
  4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Ok, you guys convinced me! Next order will have Volume 2 on the list :)

Simon A likes this.
  5. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Bummer -

I found a super clean grey label pressing of this and thought I'd scored big time.

I should have just grabbed the new one at the Barnes and Noble!!!

6. Ere

Ere Senior Member

aza14782 and Richard--W like this.
  7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The location and (probably) the year are wrong. This was taken in Hollywood, at Capitol’s Melrose Avenue Studio C. Last Sinatra recordings at Melrose were in January 1956, but this looks to be at least a year earlier. See here:

Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality (and general discussion): Singles, Soundtracks, Etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2018
    Simon A likes this.
  8. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

My copy of volume 2 and still in the shrinkwrap and will remain so until I find the right speakers for my analog rig.

This photo is like the Sinatra I see in my mind's eye when I listen to the early Capitol albums. The distinct posture before the microphone, the intense concentration, the melancholy expression, the hint of swagger, the impeccable suit. Sinatra looks intense in this photo. He's feeling the words. Whenever or wherever it was taken, thanks for posting it.

I'd love to see a book devoted to studio session photos. With as much color as possible. There are books that do this for The Beatles and for Elvis, both from major publishers and from botique publishes, but not for Sinatra. Some books do a little but I mean disciplined photo studies in which the images are reproduced in chronological order for the session.

Ere likes this.
  9. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Several of the tracks on This Is Sinatra, Vol. 2 were recorded later on in 1956, while volume 1 tracks all predate Sept. 1955, according to Matt's pages. So I thought it fit better here. Frank's hat appears to match one in the earlier photos, used on the cover of the earlier album, in any case.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    Richard--W likes this.
  10. MLutthans

It's like the Sinatra I see in my mind's eye's laptop screen:
    Screen shot 2018-09-17 at 10.17.37 PM.png

bozburn and Richard--W like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.