Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: "Where Are You?" (1957 album)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jan 13, 2010.

1. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I never paid close attention to that information before. It’s missing my three favorite songs from that album. Wow.

McLover and roda12 like this.
  2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

"I'm a Fool to Want You" is on the "Stars in Stereo" compilation tape (with some/many/most[?]) copies having technical defects, and "I Cover the Waterfront" is a mono-only recording, so the only track that could have had a stereo tape mix and release but did not was "The Night We Called It a Day."

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  3. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

As always Matt's information and insights are priceless!
    So good to have you back Matt!

Bob F, MLutthans and zoltantamas like this.
  4. MLutthans

s-l1600-596.jpg
    This is currently on Ebay: Original release Japanese mono LP, with the side labels reversed (at least for this side; no photo of the other side's label), meaning this says "SIDE 1," but contains the audio for side two. (The label also reads W-2-855, which is the correct matrix for side two.)

McLover likes this.
  5. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

As much as I like and mix the stereo for its sound clarity, the mono version of "Where Are You?", Mainly the MFSL, is ten times superior. The stereo version is good for perceiving the strings with more force and prominence - it is clear that the 1958 reel version reinforces Frank's voice. But the mono version brings out the outstanding squirrel balance between the strings, woodwinds and rhythm section, in addition to the necessary emphasis on Sinatra.

6. Artur Torres

Only now have I seen that the translator I use has modified my text, removing its context in some passages. Therefore, I rewrite with due care:

As much as I like the stereo mix for the clarity of the sound, I admit that the mono version of "Where Are You?", Mainly the one published by MFSL, is ten times superior.

The stereophonic version excels in highlighting the string and wind instruments and, in the 1958 reel version, it values Frank's voice in a warm way.

However, the mono mix excels for giving balance and equality to the strings, woodwinds and rhythm section, which is more present in this version. And, of course, it gives the necessary emphasis to Sinatra's voice.

Oh, there is more: there is no disturbing "joining of parts" in an excerpt from "Maybe You'll Be There" in the mono mix.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  7. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I kind of enjoyed the “outstanding squirrel balance between the strings, woodwinds and rhythm section” in the mono version. Brought a smile to my face in these tough times. :)

DmitriKaramazov and Artur Torres like this.
  8. Artur Torres

kkkk, right.

CBackley likes this.
  9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I really like the balances in the mono version as well. The best vintage mono LP cuts also sound excellent, though in my experience the average copy isn't anything special. There's a magic in that mix.

The way the stereo version was recorded with a minimal amount of distant mics, it gave purer sound/incredible fidelity, but also worse balances, no matter how well its mixed. The reel tape mix is far better than any other stereo mix, and really sounds beautiful. It's a very nice mix to compliment, but not replace, the mono.

10. Pontus Nilsson

Pontus Nilsson Well-Known Member

Yesterday I picked up a copy of the 1984 DMM Holland press that reads stereo on cover and labels but is actually mono. This has has been noted about the DMM releases elsewhere on the forum:
    But I couldn't find anything with "Where Are You"?

This mono follow the same runout matrix pattern as the others;
    Runout Side 1: 2600181-A1+D
    Runout Side 2: 2600181-B1+D

On the side one label it reads *mono along the bottom (regarding "I Cover the Waterfront"). This is different from the DMM mono of "Sings for Only the Lonely" (regarding "It's a Lonesome Old Town", with no *MONO along the bottom on the mono version) as @MLutthans noted here Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality, etc.: "Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely" (1958)

I don't have any other versions to compare it with, so sound wise it's hard to evaluate for me. But I don't think it sounds very exciting. A bit dull and closed. Is it always the original mono master with these DMM, or could it also in some cases be a goof with someone folding the stereo master down to mono in some way by mistake, I wonder? I have tried to compare it with the clips on Where Are You - Mono/Stereo Variations but I think it's hard to figure out the mono/stereo differences.

11. MLutthans

@Pontus Nilsson --

I have not yet come across any fold-downs on this particular title, but I suppose it's possible that they are out there, maybe.

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Do you need a Stereo pressing with that label? I own a nice copy, Matt!

rangerjohn likes this.
  13. MLutthans

@McLover --

We now have an N1 pressing, and D20 "spires" pressing, but still not an earlier D cut. I'd be happy to post whatever you want to send along. Just send me a PM. Thanks!

McLover likes this.
  14. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

I just picked up a US Capitol mono LP of Where Are You? with the original gray label.

Capitol W855
    Side 1 matrix: - W1-855-D1 [Scranton anvil]
    Side 2 matrix: 23 - W2-855-D1 12 [Scranton anvil]

I assume this is what you folks are referring to as a "D1" pressing?

I have not yet listened to it, but will soon. I'm not a very skilled visual judge of LP condition (aside from visible scuffs, scratches, cracks, or stains), but this one looks pretty decent. The cover and original inner sleeve are in pretty good shape, too.

I've never heard this album in mono before, so I'm looking forward to this. The only version I've had until now is a US Capitol stereo CD. I don't have it handy at the moment, but I believe it's the original Walsh disc.

I also picked up '50s pressings of Close to You and This Is Sinatra Volume Two, along with a couple of Atlantic Chris Connor LPs.

MLutthans, bozburn and rangerjohn like this.
  15. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

I'm listening to my mono Where Are You? LP now. Wow. It's not pristine (there are some low level clicks, and every once in a while a louder one), but it still sounds amazing. A deeper cleaning than I am equipped to do (I just have a VinylStyl brush and their cleaning fluid) would probably help.

Out of curiosity, how much do people usually pay for these? I got mine for $24.

16. Lucano Cristian

Lucano Cristian Active Member

The mistake was corrected in the cd remastered by Bob Norberg .

17. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Old posts never die; they just get quoted every ten years. :)
    The 1999 Norberg remaster was not created as a “correction” to the 1991 Walsh version. Quite the opposite, it was a complete remake, and it has its own (sound quality) problems.

Lest anyone be tempted to discard their Walsh CD, the explanation for the quoted anomaly came in the immediate followup, in post #122 :
    P.S. By “never corrected AFAIK,” I meant in pressings of the Walsh mastering, of course.

riddlemay and roda12 like this.
  18. teag

teag Forum Resident

I recently listened to the Walsh stereo CD and liked it quite a bit. Comparing it to the mono MoFi SACD is interesting. Both are very good. The Walsh holds it’s own for sure.

19. teag

teag Forum Resident

My post above is incorrect! Got this confused with No One Cares!

These 2 albums are somewhat interchangeable in my mind. That’s my excuse anyway….

20. mikeh69

mikeh69 Forum Resident

I haven't had the chance to read through 20 pages... But I have had a obsession overload .... I read Where Are You was recorded on a 3 multitrack tape... Then all the sudden I read that Where Are You was not recorded on a multitrack tape which means 2 track stereo for life .... Because the results that Only The Lonely had with the 3 track remix was beyond fantastic ... I mean emotionally it parallzed me into crying euphoria just everything just seemed perfect with the remix... Now I'm all set to hear what I know what I hope No One Cares will have a 3 multi track remix release someday while I'm still alive ... Because I know now about The Beatles thing with tearing apart a 4 track tape and making it like a 8 or 10 multi track tape or etc like they did with Revolver ( I think the overall results were good I haven't heard since it was released ... Because I basically been listening to David Ackles ( which seriously needs a remix but are the multitracks still in existence PROBABLY NOT ) and Olivia Newton John are her multi track tapes from 1971 up to oh The Rumour 1988 .... I guess yes maybe no or the ONE 1989 kids recording for David Geffen well ehh ya know ... and FRANKIE which I don't know what album ( I'm reading Only The Lonely was the first multi track tape or 1957 but then it's like this... 1956 everything is in mono 1957 2 track stereo started to emerge 1958 3 multi track tape even though Les Paul made a 8 multi track recorder in ............................................. 1953 Holy Les Pauly ............................... Anyway ... I'm sure I hope after writing this I will receive the appropriate answers I need ... Not many just a few ... Oh do I wish the 1955 In the wee small hours - 1955 ....... was in STEREO ... But 1955 MONO

( How many pro recordings did Zappa record with VINNIE COLAUITA can we have a box set called ZAPPA - THE VINNIE COLAUITA LIVE BOX SET ... Studio wise he played on Joe's Garage and ... um everything WAS LIVE LOL .... It was like Terry Bozzio studio live galore up to early 1978 with the last being I guess Sheik Yerbouti ( I know he was Joe's and Thing Fish doing his famous vocalizations... ) But Vinnie um JOE'S and um Dave Logeman played on the entire You are what you is ... Shut Up N PLAY mostly Bozzio/Colauita ... Ship Arriving NO ... Tinseltown Rebellion LIVE .... End .....

21. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

YIKES!

SBC and Simon A like this.
  22. MLutthans

@mikeh69 -- you have some wrong info there, but that happens.

WHERE ARE YOU -- recorded on 3 track tape via only three microphones AND recorded live-to-mono via as many as ten microphones SIMULTANEOUSLY by separate engineers in separate control rooms. Same for COME FLY WITH ME and ONLY THE LONELY. Nothing at Capitol by FS was done to two track. It was always mono and/or three track.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2023
  23. mikeh69

mikeh69 Forum Resident

3 TRACK !!!!!!!!!!!! THANK GOD .... THANK YOU FRANK

So a remix can be made like Only The Lonely and possibly No One Cares

But what's even more painful In the Wee Wee Small Hours was recorded in mono but I'm so used to hearing it that way and know there's nothing that could be done I don't have a choice but too accept it is for what it is .... And it's stuck that way .... As you see I'm into Frank's sad concept albums... If it wasn't for those I wouldn't of been a fan ... Although the Columbia Years is just impossible to I don't know what my issue is with those ... And then The Reprise Years I'm so lost with those releases I played many and thought they were average ?

However that's not necessarily true what I wrote because how I woke up to Frank Sinatra. Since I was a infant my grandmother had a record rack that would spin and was a major Sinatra fan and I used to spin that rack around and always look to see what was in it and it was Sinatra records and Sinatra records... But I never asked her to play them ever ... They were just covers because I was always classic rock fan... But then that one day in 1991 I think she didn't have a CD player in her car... And this was the only time in my life she asked me to do a chore for her... Was to transfer the 4 CD set The Capitol Years I think it was 1991 and to transfer them to cassette tapes and she gave me like a 5 pack of 90 minute tapes and she said that should do it ... And I played all those 4 CD's in order while I transferred them to cassette ( here comes the tears ) and every song knocked me out ...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2023
  24. mikeh69

mikeh69 Forum Resident

I'm sure there's a reason for all this ... But Les Paul made the first 8 track recorder in 1953... And if that worked where are the recordings of Les Paul in 1953 using that 8 track recorder... Apparently he didn't rent it out to anybody ... Or did he like shop it around and go look 8 track 1953 .... Imagine all those recordings 1953 and on ... I just wish for Charlie Parker if anybody for myself to hear those amazing horrific Savoy and Dial recordings recorded on tape on a 8 multitrack machine ... BUT IT WAS IN THE LATE 1940'S did Les Paul he make anything in that decade even a mono machine Or a 8 multitrack recorder in the 1920-'s on ahhh everything on 8 track instead of that mono mush ... Ugh all those 1 mic recording the room cheap Savoy recording studios glad Charlie threw that saxophone through the engineering booth as to say I'm withdrawing from junk but couldn't you get a 8 multitrack recorder in here where's Les Paul ( aka 1945-1948 ) but NOOOOOOOOOOO ( John Belushi copyright ) recorded on 78 RPM's I mean Jack White in the 21 century found a make a recording for 5 cents booth and Neil Young recorded a whole album in that little booth... I mean couldn't they of made the BOOTH like a ROOM .... sigh never mind ... I'm in fictional dreamland ...

I mean forgot all these old Sinatra mixes .... There's a 3 multi track tape remix all those Capitol Recordings from 57 to 62 ... The Reprise so so stuff can come later... I mean what's next in the remix department the album with Bad Bad Leroy Brown Good Lord ... Or tear apart the recording from 1953 to 1956 using Beatles director technology for Get Back and remove the orchestra and the vocal and uh do something with that ?????????? LOL I don't know can they do that ?????????

There was even a 12 track machine that Zappa had access to where he recorded Uncle Meat on I think it was that album ... But a year later came the wonderful 16 track machine made by um Ampex ? Or Basf or Sony or Aiwa or Tascam or Fostex or Realistic or lol ...

They need to form a team and just do these then concentrate on these young 21 century ahem artists cut out bin automated like oh Lana Del Rey and Nachos Grande or Garbo Halen Enema or Jello/Jaylo I apologize for my frustrations ... Who do you call or write about all this ... Nancy ? OH I know...................... The Capitol Records Tower it's still standing right ...

capitol records building - Google Search

Last edited: Apr 18, 2023
  25. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

„Painful“ that WEE SMALL HOURS was recorded in Mono??? „Accept it for what it is“???
    It was simply one of the best sounding albums ever recorded.
    I‘m speechless.
    And maybe I should have simply ignored this post the way my fellow forum residents did...
    Sorry, but this is too much