Sinatra on Columbia (Official/Authorized Releases)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ShockControl, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The blank acetate discs may have been from different sources or the applied stickers may be from different sources. It does not necessarily mean each is a distinct take. Your copy is no less special. It is a classic item.

It is always special when an item was held in the hands of two very special people. FS and AG of course.

roda12 likes this.
  2. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

I played it and it's beautiful. Frank's voice is at his romantic best and the whole record sounds like straight out of a film noir movie starring Ava!
    Great sound, too. Although a radio recording it sounds like a dedicated studio recording. No applause at the end, which was cut.
    I yet have to compare this version with a radio version I have on cd. But I can tell by now that the known versions that circulate among bootlegs collectors don't have that great sound as this record has!!!
    This is pure magic and like I already mentioned UNIQUE and part of Sinatra's personal history.

MMM, kennyluc1, CBackley and 2 others like this.
  3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Transfer it the next time you play it!

4. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Yes, I already transfered it to my computer:righton:

Thank you Tribute for the information about the blank acetate discs. Very interesting!

CBackley likes this.
  5. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

Good to hear you have a copy … maybe you can let Columbia/CBS/Sony use it on the next compilation they put out on Frank.

CBackley and roda12 like this.
  6. kennyluc1

I have him singing it on 3 different CD'S... the Ridgeway CD of Light Up Time songs.

roda12 likes this.
  7. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Great idea! I'd be happy to!

Simon A likes this.
  8. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I want to hear it. ?

9. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

"May I/we hear it please?"
    "It would be very nice if you could share it with us please."
    "If you care to share it with us, I'm sure we'd really love to hear it!"

Just some more polite ways of asking. Just sayin'.....

10. Richard--W

May we hear it please?

It would be very nice if you could share it with us please.

If you care to share it with us, I'm sure we'd really love to hear it.

DmitriKaramazov and CBackley like this.
  11. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

THAT'S Better! A kinder, gentler, more respectful way to ask for something. (I'm purposely ignoring that you're making fun of me which makes you a smaller person than you were before!)

I've recently had people ask me for something from my collection with some of the crudest, most impolite ways that it just turns me off completely. (I've had "requests" which were actually demands that said "Let me have that"! It's like people now are filled with entitlement. Whatever happened to common courtesy?)

@roda12 has added something to his collection that makes us all envious. Let us all CELEBRATE with him...not automatically decide that we should all have a piece of it.

Moving on...

frankfan1, CBackley and roda12 like this.
  12. Richard--W

I reject the rebuke.
    You go too far, Paul. You make too much of "I want to hear it."
    There was no rudeness or crudeness in it.
    It is an innocuous statement.
    The tone in your head was not present in mine when I wrote "I want to hear it."

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    CBackley likes this.
  13. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

With all due respect Gentlemen, please take your argument elsewhere so we can keep this thread about Frank's Columbia period and less about file sharing, albeit of a historical recording. Such statements should be kept in PMs, not be posted.

Thank you!

14. Richard--W

We're not arguing. We're discussing.

15. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Come on guys, let's be friendly. Nobody got hurt:)

I would love to share it with you. But I really shy away from putting it on the net. Because that way it soon will float around everywhere. Hope you'll understand my hesitation.

The idea of having it released by Columbia/Sony would suit me better:righton:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  16. kennyluc1

In addition you would have your name on a Frank Sinatra Columbia/Sony release forever.

roda12 likes this.
  17. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Very wise. You bought it, and have the right to personally enjoy it.

kennyluc1, roda12 and colormesinatra like this.
  18. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

I would like to see more Sinatra-Columbia releases.... but I guess there is no market for such a product.

19. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I would as well, but what is there left to release?

20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Of course, there is the long awaited reissue, with improved sound and all original takes, of the complete Sinatra on ColumbiaThere is at least as much market for that as for many other large boxsets issued by SONY.

Of course, many airchecks from the Columbia period may be issued by SONY.

All of the various takes that were issued by SONY on many compilations, but not in the original box, should be collected together as well

Richard--W, roda12 and Simon A like this.
  21. Richard--W

By airchecks do you mean live concerts recorded by Columbia in the 1940's?

There is an abundance of material for A Voice On Air, volume 2.

The ABC recording sessions for the radio program To Be Perfectly Frank are conspicuously, painfully absent from official CD.

22. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Airchecks are from radio program (i.e. over-the-air) broadcasts, as captured on transcription discs.

Tribute and Richard--W like this.
  23. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Late last year Chuck indicated that there was a big "shake up" at SONY Music and it was anyone's guess as to what will be happening.

colormesinatra likes this.
  24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Shake Ups are never good.

25. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

The radio years is a part of Sinatra's career that really needs to be more focused on. There are tons of recordings and songs he never recorded commercially that could be released. Dreaming of a 20cd box release of good sounding radio material. Now don't laugh!!! All of the record companies are releasing good priced box sets like crazy these days. So why not?

rangerjohn likes this.