Sinatra / Reprise Sound Quality and General Discussion: "...Great Songs from Great Britain" (1962)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AaronW, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

I'm pretty sure it's not but I will have to look for sure when I get home.

2. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

It isn't on the new LP.

bozburn and Bob F like this.
  3. No, it definitely isn't on the new LP.

4. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Ditto.

5. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

6. BeatleD65

BeatleD65 Well-Known Member

Just got the vinyl release of Frank's 1962 album he recorded in London with Robert Faron in the pressing Frank's vocals are more up front on this mix. Is this a remaster or the original analog pressing ? I have the 1992 import cd that mix has more reverb with Frank's vocals not so much up front. Any help on this ? I also got the Moonlight Sinatra vinyl on order.

7. Pieter Kozak

Pieter Kozak Well-Known Member

I have an original UK Reprise, which I am playing now. His vocals are upfront and perfect with no awful reverb. Mine is mono though, not sure if the reissue is or not, I would guess it's in stereo. I only have the Moonlight reissue which sounds superb to my ears.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. BeatleD65

Thanks for the info

Pieter Kozak likes this.
  9. BeatleD65

10. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Years ago, I posted here during a back-and-forth with @paulmock that I have huge gaps in my Reprise listening, and that there are many Reprise albums that I've never played. Frank Sinatra Sings Great Songs from Great Britain is one of those albums, even though I have the suitcase, an original stereo UK LP, a Japanese LP, and at least one full-length "needledrop" that has been sent to me.

Today, I had to drive to the airport to pick up a friend returning from Arizona, and I dubbed the suitcase tracks to a CD-R, in proper running order, with Roses of Picardy added, and played the whole thing on the way, and I've got some first-impression, "newbie" thoughts, based on one listen, while driving down I-5 (or "the 5" as they say in California):

•I liked the album more than I thought I would.
    •Nice to hear some less-often-sung, but high-quality, numbers.
    •The singing was much better than I expected, having heard how Frank was unpleased with his performance, that he had a sore throat, he was tired, etc. I thought it sounded more-or-less like "standard issue 1962 Sinatra" in vocal terms, or at least close to it.
    •The arrangements struck me as being very similar in style to Ralph Carmichael's string-laden arrangements on Nat Cole's "The Touch of Your Lips" album, and those arrangements, while perfectly good, have never reached out and grabbed me. Same thing here.
    •"Roses of Picardy" -- what an unmitigated disaster, but I don't lay that at Sinatra's feet. I blame the overly complicated arrangement that struck me as utterly failing at the basic duty of supporting and leading the vocal line. Had that string arrangement been used to accompany, say, Oscar Peterson, where some non-melodic aspect would supportively stem from the piano, as opposed to JUST the melody line, I think it would have worked beautifully, but to have the hill-and-dale, elastic string soup serving as background for a solo voice really left the singer "out there," hanging by a thread without a net. As a musician (a title I rarely claim), I literally found it hard to sit through, only because I could sense discomfort and insecurity in the performance, caused by the arrangement (or, at minimum, by this particular play-through of said arrangement). In fairness, I have no idea how many takes were attempted (I think the released version was marked as take 6), and maybe they could have dragged a top-notch performance from this, but clearly the recording here was not ready for prime time, so I think it was wise to leave it unreleased at the time. (I think some of the "awkward to an American," British-ness of the lyrics didn't help matters much, as Sinatra seemed a bit ill at ease with the lyrics.)

Anyway, a nice album, and I'm glad to have finally heard it. I'll certainly come back to it.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    CBackley, bozburn, AaronW and 6 others like this.
  11. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Insightful impressions, Matt. I've never had a problem with the vocal quality of the album--most of the tracks are not grossly inferior to most early Reprise recordings, and, in fact, most are better than the ballads on Academy Award Winners from 1964. It should have been released, in my estimation. But that view benefits from hindsight--FS was probably comparing his ballad performances here to those on, for instance, Strings, not, obviously, AAW, two years hence.

Arkoffs likes this.
  12. MLutthans

I agree that it should have been released (worldwide) at the time -- except for "Roses of Picardy."

Arkoffs and rangerjohn like this.
  13. Pieter Kozak

Interesting Matt. I am surprised you had never heard it before. I assume you are more of a Capitol fan than his Reprise work? Personally I love this LP and one of my favorite Reprise LP's.

"The very thought of you" is sublime as is "The Gypsy" My favorite track though is "London By Night"

I had never heard of "Roses of Picardy" as I don't own any Sinatra CD's so I just checked it out on You Tube. So glad they left it off, it's a mess, lovely song though.

Out of interest which other Reprise LP's are you yet to listen to?

14. MLutthans

Yes. Not really intentionally; it's just shaken out that way.
    I've heard dribs and drabs of all of these, and I own most of them on LP and CD, but I know I've never actually played them all the way through:
    Sinatra's Sinatra
    Sinatra Sings Days of Wine and Roses, Moon River, and Other Academy Award Winners
    America, I Hear You Singing

(with Bing Crosby and Fred Waring)
    12 Songs of Christmas
    (with Bing Crosby and Fred Waring)
    Softly, as I Leave You
    My Kind of Broadway
    That's Life
    The World We Knew
    My Way
    A Man Alone
    Ol' Blue Eyes Is Back
    Some Nice Things I've Missed
    Future (from Trilogy)
    L.A. Is My Lady
    Duets II

15. The funny thing is I came to this album very recently along with a whole cache of Sinatra albums without any expectations or bias or prior knowledge of the background to its recording. I played it a few times and thought it was really good but certainly no better or worse than some of Sinatra's earlier albums for Capitol. However for some reason I can't honestly identify I find it's an album I don't want to return to much. I then read all the negative comments about it online and wondered whether there was indeed something 'wrong' with it. I don't hear the 'poor vocal' performance that some have cited or the problematic arrangements. I wonder if the song selection is the issue. I only have the UMe LP so heaven only knows if that's a factor!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    CBackley likes this.
  16. Pieter Kozak

I understand why you haven't listened to these in full, nothing amazing, although I do adore "Ol' Blue Eyes Is Back" from start to finish and "A Man Alone" is also a favorite from start to finish.

Future from the trilogy is something that I enjoy, although I understand why people dislike it.

17. teag

teag Forum Resident

The recent postings on the album inspired me to pull out my copies and listen again.

I have the CD/DVD box set from 2014 and what looks like an original UK LP in NM condition (R9 1006, "Distributed by PYE RECORDS (SALES) LTD" on the jacket, label is the "angry Frank").

I've always thought FS sounded a bit off on this album. Hard to tell if its fatigue as reported by many, or if the "team" put together just did not click. Or perhaps it's just recording in a strange studio 5000 miles from home. (Can't say I ever did my best work being overseas either). It seems to lack a bit of energy to me somehow. It's actually hard to pinpoint exactly what is missing here, but it is something. But certainly not a throwaway and the song selection is mostly unique.

The 2014 box set contains a DVD of a concert at Royal Festival Hall on June 1 1952, 11 days prior to the 3 day session during which this album was recorded. In the concert, FS is quite dynamic and in fine voice, lots of energy, and in complete command of the show. This DVD makes the box set worth owning. To me it is a bit of a contrast to the album in terms of energy. Maybe the 10 days in between were tiring after all?

Sonically, the LP wins hands down over the CD for me. A bit richer overall.

The Sinatra threads on this forum always seem to get me to look into Sinatra's recorded work a layer below what I have done previously. The insight and knowledge of a few members, like Matt, Bob and others, are quite responsible for that. I've never enjoyed his music as much as I do now.

18. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

VERY glad you are expanding your listening of the catalogue! I agree on all points.

BTW, wanna feel REALLY uncomfortable? Sit thru the session tape of Mr. S attempting to get some semblance of something decent to piece together for "Roses". WOW!!!!

CBackley likes this.
  19. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

@teag We all know you meant June 1, 1962. Simple typo. Just sayin'. :righton:

Beaneydave and teag like this.
  20. MLutthans

Ah....I thought there might be something along those lines "out there." Yeah, I'll bet that is painful!

21. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Yes we do! Also, "the 405", "the 605", the "210", etc. But we tend to say just "PCH".

Anyway, great post! I too have never heard this album, and I should address that soon!

MLutthans likes this.
  22. teag

teag Forum Resident

Yes! 1962. Too late for me to correct the post unfortunately. Thanks for pointing it out.

paulmock likes this.
  23. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

I have 3 copies of this album (2 cd, 1 original LP) I have to say I enjoy the sound of his 1962 voice,
    but I don't agree with all of the song selections. It irks me to see him re-record a song he had recorded only 5 years ago.
    I wish he would have recorded titles never done before, I understand different company, different tempo, but, think of all
    the great standards that were missed. He recorded "London By Night " in 57, couldn't he have found another song that he had never recorded.

24. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Mr. S wanted to have a recording of that on his own label....I'm sure that's why.

25. Pieter Kozak

I see where you are coming from but how could he resist to record "London By Night! in London at night.

MichaelM, aoxomoxoa and MLutthans like this.