Sinatra / Reprise Sound Quality & General Discussion: "Swing Along With Me" (1961)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jan 20, 2013.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

I'm curious, too. I went to three used record stores today, and struck out. Checked on Ebay. No dice. Checked on Discogs. Nada, and yes, I was checking both title variations.

Does anybody here actually own an F-1002 (not R-1002) mono pressing? Do we know for sure they exist? (I'd be surprised if they didn't exist, but....)

Matt

CBackley likes this.
  2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

There really is no reason for them not to exist. I can't believe they would have stopped production of this album in mono in 1963/64, when Reprise got into business with Warners. At the same time, I wonder if - around the time the change was made - they still had a lot of original "R" pressings out there of some of these albums - with distributors, etc. When I bought my "F" RING-A-DING DING! years ago, it took some searching.

Confusing matters when looking for a copy is making sure the prefix is checked on the label (and/or at least recognizing the different pressing/mastering).

CBackley likes this.
  3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

My guess is, if no one here on this board know about it, it probably doesn't exist.

;)

4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

FWIW, the WOW database lists an F1002 issue in the USA (for both titles). It's not infallible but seldom wrong.

CBackley and MLutthans like this.
  5. MLutthans

I know it's been posted before, but what does WOW stand for again? World of Records?
    31671945.jpg

6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

MLutthans likes this.
  7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I should mention that they stopped updating the database a few years ago. I don't know if it's still available for purchase, but Version 3.6 was the final update and that "February 26th" date shown on the website I linked is not this year.

[ADDED] Sorry, Mac users: It's Windows only. It may not even run on the latest Windows 8; I haven't tried it yet.

8. MLutthans

I finally got to give my shiny new MFSL pressing a spin, and my initial reaction is that there's a LOT of, shall we say, "High Frequency Energy" in the vocal, almost a splattery quality, and very "airy." Anybody else feel that way? (I'm not saying it's good, bad, or otherwise; just something I noticed while listening.)

9. MLutthans

10. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

After listening to all of those original stereo mix clips (including the original CD mastering), plus my own 1B Columbia mastered "FS" prefix stereo LP (my R9 copy is also an A4), I don't think there's much that can be done with that mix to make it sound good. It seems like everyone that's mastered it has tried something different with it, but none end up sounding that great overall. There's too much compression in the mix, and besides making it sound a little too relentless, I'm guessing it's thrown the tone off (beyond the sound of the 3 tracks) enough that I'd imagine it might make an engineer trying to master it go nuts.

11. MLutthans

POST OF THE WEEK! I fully agree. In fact, I'm currently composing my measured drivel for the "conclusions" page of the Swing Along with Me section, and you've stolen my thunder, but that's okay. :) I think you're spot on.

McLover and MMM like this.
  12. MLutthans

13. MLutthans

14. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

15. MLutthans

16. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

They show the difference in the balances on the mono version vs. the stereo mixes pretty well.

17. MLutthans

Yep, I just found a stereo copy on Ebay that clearly is labeled on the cover as R9-1002, but on the disk label and deadwax, it's FS-1002.

18. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Yes, Matt. Thanks as always for your hard work. The samples confirm my (marginal) preference for the mono version. I suppose that the EOTC is my go-to stereo version.

Looking forward to your Winners page!

19. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

What title does it have? A mixture, possibly?

Now you need to find an "F"... :)

20. MLutthans

"Swing Along with Me" on the cover, 1970's happy Frank labels, "Sinatra Swings" on label.

CBackley likes this.
  21. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Still a Columbia mastering & pressing? What cuts? Or a later one pressed by Capitol? Columbia pressings have a relatively large (but not deep) impression in the label area. Capitol ones have one around the size of a large holed 7" record.

22. MLutthans

This one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Frank-Sinat...6877307?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item3ccf5ae0fb

$T2eC16RHJIQE9qUHsjyKBQIcF7sq9!~~60_57.JPG

Looks like a Capitol pressing.

Also, I have two pages of "Let's find a winner" stuff posted, starting here: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1961_-_Swing_Along_with_Me_2.html

23. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

That looks like it might even be an 80's copy. It'll be interesting to hear what it's like...

I'll read the "Mixed Up Confusion" now.

24. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

I've read page 1 so far. My impressions:

Mono LP: I like A6 best.

Stereo LP: prefer the new MFSL.

CD: prefer the 1989.

So far what I'd do: comp it from the suitcase.

CBackley and MLutthans like this.
  25. MLutthans

Hadn't seen this before in the copyright-expiration gray-market CD world:
    Screen shot 2013-03-05 at 8.44.05 AM.jpg

That's all of a Capitol LP (Come Swing with Me) and all of a Reprise LP (Swing Along with Me), plus some bonus tracks from another Reprise LP, on one CD from "Black Coffee Records."

CBackley likes this.