Sinatra / Reprise Sound Quality: "I Remember Tommy" (1961)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Apr 16, 2012.

1. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I do not. The recording seems very good, with a trebly/shiny (though not unbalanced) character. How much of that is due to the released mix, I don't know.

2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Steve, what did they use the 4th track for on the Radio Recorders sessions' multis? I never really listened to "Evening" with an ear towards what have gone there. Thanks!

3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

What were the notes by Lawrence D. Stewart? Could you be confusing this album's liner notes with THE CONCERT SINATRA?

I thought the only contributors to the I REMEMBER TOMMY LP text were Benny Green and George T. Simon. All of the CD releases include those notes. The recent Universal Japan SHM-CD even duplicates the original gatefold cover with a die cut hole for the Sinatra photo on an extra inside paper leaf page.

(The 1993 bonus-track CD includes additional notes by James Isaacs, dated December 1992, plus quotes by Frank Sinatra from the April 1965 LIFE magazine article, "Me and My Music.")

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Frank, brass, reeds, rhythm.

CBackley likes this.
  5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, I had intended to put Benny Green as the author of the original notes as well as George T. Simon. The essay is very well written and the gatefold is really well done. Wonder who engineered this album? It's one of the best sounding if not the best sounding of the early Frank Sinatra canon.

CBackley likes this.
  6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

I'm still looking for additional clips (PM me if you can share), but here's the update of what we have so far, with thanks to stevelucille, Bob F, and MMM, and Scott1234:

•R-1003 mono, A8/B8
    •UK Mono LP
    •R9-1003 stereo, A5 for side one, but "R-9-1003-B 30,037-7" on side two
    •FS-1003 stereo, two-tone orange label, both sides 1-H.
    •UK stereo, "Kinney" edition
    •Original Ampex reel, catalog #RSL-1707 (still awaiting delivery in the mail)
    •Later S9-series Stereotape reel
    •The Suitcase CD
    •1993 CD
    •EOTC CD

Any others out there????

I've been working under the assumption that it was Uncle Milty Putnam, but you know what they say about assuming. Anybody know???

Matt

McLover likes this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

Not Putnam, no. I wrote it down somewhere (being unimpressed with the work) but it's a matter of finding where I put it...

8. MLutthans

From 6 Moons Audio's review of the Linear Audio Research IA-30t:

Isn't that release just a fancy-pants re-pressing of a former Reprise re-master???

Matt

9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

My favorite version has been the R9 stereo LPs, but it needs bass. It seems like some people have had a hard time with getting the bass right in any sort of good way when mastering this album, especially re any harm to the rest of the sound - it's been to varying degrees of success on the releases I've heard. I'm speaking of the stereo version.

A few weeks ago, I put on a song from the EOTC disc after not playing it for years, and it didn't sound as good as I remembered. The bass is too overcooked, and somewhat overwhelms the rest of the sound. I have to put on the mono LP to see what the bass is like on that, but I don't remember liking it overall as much as the stereo version, not that it was bad. It's been years since I've played that either - I always reach for an R9 LP when I want to hear this.

I've never heard the reel tapes or the JPN LPs.

10. MLutthans

Well, who all was at United around that time? Bones Howe? Malcolm Chisholm? Jimmy Lockert? Eddie Brackett?

Chisholm's resume lists Sinatra as "solo artist recorded as a music mixer," but offers no further specifics.

Matt

11. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Yes. The Universal Japan SHM-CD is digitally identical to the 2010 EU CD reissue. Both are identical to the 1998 Reprise (EOTC) disc. Not one bit of difference between the three CDs.

If the reviewer had bothered to read the included lyrics sheet, he might have noticed "20-Bit Digital Mastering by Lee Hershberg" with a (P) 1998 remastering date.

12. MLutthans

^^^^^^^^ Thanks, Bob.

Are there any photos of the sessions for this album?

Matt

13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

If such exist, we would expect to have some photographs of Frank and Sy Oliver together in the studio. I don't think I've ever seen any.

CBackley likes this.
  14. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Martin,

I only have access to the 1993 CD, the suitcase, and the EOTC CD versions of "I Remember Tommy." It would seem that we probably have to agree to disagree concerning the CD versions. I can only state that on my system, I feel that the ETOC CD sounds far superior to the other two versions. In fact, for me, it just might be the best sounding Reprise label Sinatra CD I own. I admit it certainly has more bass that the other CD versions (the other versions, however, seem to lack depth for lake of a better term), but the overall balance, soundstage, imaging, and dynamics of the ETOC CD makes it seem like both Frank and the entire orchestra are actually in my living room- something most of the other Reprise CD’s don’t come close to doing. I would totally concede that much of this is personal preference, and it is also very much system dependent. I personally believe Lee Herschberg did a fantastic job with this one.

AJH

15. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I didn't say that it was worse (or better) than the other CD versions - only a comment on how it sounds on its own. I didn't compare recently, but from what I remember it did sound better than previous CD issues (but again, its been a while), at least in some ways. The bass turned me off to it though, even though my favorite version that I've heard so far (the R9 LP) needs bass.

16. MLutthans

Last night, I spent about an hour just going back and forth between the R9 and the EOTC, having spent a lot of time the previous day listening to the suitcase tracks. My initial thoughts are:

Something about the suitcase tracks sounds kind of "loosely packed" or un-solidified. It's fairly subtle, but it's bothersome.

The R9 and the EOTC -- although different -- both sound "tight" (in a good way) to me. Maybe cohesive is the better word for it. I think if the EOTC was a piece of bread, I could nail it to the wall and it would stick as one contiguous piece, but the suitcase disc is like a piece of wet bread that would just droop and fall apart. It's a weird sound. It's okay on its own, but when you compare it with the others, it doesn't fare well, IMO. (I'll get some clips up this weekend, hopefully, to try to illustrate what I'm talking about.)

As far as the bass goes, yes, it's weak on the R9 and goosed on the EOTC. To my ears, it's about 15% too week on the R9 but 20% too strong on the EOTC, so I think I lean toward the R9 pressing. Neither nails it, and certain spots on the EOTC really strike me as overcooked in the bass department, but I guess that's why we have tone controls, right?

Here's what I'm wondering: Any chance the EOTC CD uses the original mix, while the suitcase is a remix???????? Bass aside (and maybe a little high-end rolloff on CD, too), the two mixes (EOTC and original R9) sound just about identical to me. On the suitcase discs? Not so much.

Matt

CBackley likes this.
  17. Thanks for sharing that Steve - fascinating to hear anecdotes like that!

18. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

No comment on the remix issue either way, because I haven't investigated that in so long, and can't do any right now. Otherwise, I pretty much agree with this (though how much a tone control - if you have one - can fix this varies to how it works, and the listener's taste). Even though the way the bass was handled on the EOTC has turned me off to it, it might otherwise be my second pick overall after the R9 LP. It has a nice presence to it.

I do have memories of comparing it to previous CD issues years ago, and remember the old discs sounding 'watery', which seems to jive with what Matt noted above.

CBackley likes this.
  19. MLutthans

Yay! I'm not crazy!!!!! :)

Matt

CBackley likes this.
  20. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. At one time I did have an R9 album, but alas I sold it many years ago. For me, it's been too many years since I heard the LP, and I can't begin to remember what it sounds like- especially if it is compared to the various CDs.

AJH

21. Steve Hoffman

Really, the mono is so much better. That annoying "tizz" on the brass is much reduced.. I believe the mono was a "direct take" and not a mix from the three-track. Much more pleasing, balanced presentation, fuller bass, more relaxed sounding..

And since it's merely mono, the LP is like 99 cents all over the place.

I'll shut up now.

CBackley likes this.
  22. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Matt,

Very interesting insights. I wish I still owned my R9 LP, but that ship has sailed. If I get a chance this weekend, I'm going to try to listen very carefully to the suitcase version and the EOTC CD and see if I can detect any of what you suggest.

AJH

23. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Thanks Steve! The LP I owned was an original release stereo copy, but I just ordered an original release mono copy. Can't wait to hear it.

AJH

24. MLutthans

I've got the first bit of comparison stuff posted. [MOD: updated link: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1961_-_I_Remember_Tommy_2.html]

So far, all I have is a comparison of the three releases of "In the Blue of Evening," recorded for (but left off of) the album at those first, aborted sessions in March of '61, and not released until 1993.

As always, comments/corrections welcomed!

Matt

25. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

For what it's worth, I have a tan steamboat Reprise label LP at my disposal. Could provide sound clips if needed...