Sinatra Timex Shows on DVD - UPDATE: Official Release, May 19, 2017, see post #13*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ShockControl, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

To the best of my knowledge, it's the kinescope film soundtrack... which isn't too bad, but certainly not what it could be.

As for the accompaying video footage in the program itself, I have no idea what they'll use.

- Kevin

Simon A and Bob F like this.
  2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I assume there would be no other audio source to use but the kinescope, right?

3. Joel Cairo

Not if Nancy or Tina doesn't get in touch with me... :p

- Kevin

Simon A likes this.
  4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

You should post on the Sinatra Family Forum and see if they'd bite. :)

5. Joel Cairo

Actually, I did (posted the results a page or two back)... the upshot is, Nancy's not a biter. :)

- Kevin

Simon A and Benno123 like this.
  6. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Forum Resident

What a tragic, missed opportunity.

This would have been the perfect project to premiere the new audio AND video restoration!

Has Ernst Jorgenson and/or the Presley Estate been approached?

longdist01 likes this.
  7. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I'm sure that would only get in the way of the fourth Royal Philharmonic Orchestra album. This time all the gospel numbers.

8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Well, to be fair something like that is a lot more likely to sell to the general public these days than the Sinatra special.

9. Joel Cairo

Well, I'm sure they'd be game, but unfortunately, they don't own the show.

- Kevin

Simon A likes this.
  10. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Forum Resident

I know but if the Estate reached out to the Sinatra family, I'm quite certain they would get a response.

I would go that route, this is much too important to slip by.

longdist01 and Simon A like this.
  11. Joel Cairo

Bob...

I'm sending you a PM...

- Kevin

BeatleJWOL, Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  12. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I don't "know" the source, but the track was officially released on Sinatra's "Classic Duets" in 2002
    https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Duets-Frank-Sinatra/dp/B00006LSP3
    and a birdie told me that RCA agreed then as long as RCA could use it on a future project. That was from the kinescope. It's now that future and it is probably the exact same kinescope source, probably the exact same digital source.

13. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

It sounds awful on that CD by the way.

14. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

No, the audio track on the new 3-CD set will be different than the one previously released by the Sinatra estate. The track on the Classic Duets CD includes the 30-second reprise (Frank and Elvis singing together the last chorus of “Love Me Tender”). Track time: 2:13.

The new set is now shown as pre-release at iTunes/Apple Music:
    The Searcher (The Original Soundtrack) [Deluxe] by Elvis Presley on Apple Music (Disc 2, Track 4).
    The track time is 1:42, so it does not include the duet reprise. Whether it is mastered from the same digital source remains to be seen (heard). Note that the track is listed as “(Remastered)”.

This will not be the first time Elvis interests have released the shorter track on CD. I notice that it was included in the
    2016 Sony/Legacy 60-CD box set:
    Elvis Presley - The RCA Albums Collection - Amazon.com Music (Disc 59, Track 3)
    Can anyone report on the sound quality of that one?

Simon A and JimmyCool like this.
  15. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

I finally got around to purchasing these and I'm watching Volume 1 as I type. First let me say that I am truly thankful the powers that be released these two volumes. BUT boy do they look terrible. These are obviously from a kinescope but that doesn't mean they have to look terrible. A contemporary film scan at a high resolution would breath the necessary life into these specials that they need. They are full of low resolution digital artifacts. Shame on Eagle Rock. I would never expect this from Charles Pignone. I have so much respect for him. I was excited when I read his name in the production credits but I am truly disappointed in the presentation of these specials.

JimmyCool and longdist01 like this.
  16. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

17. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Note for the detail-obsessed: March 26, 1960 was the recording date (at the Fountainbleau Hotel in Miami). The broadcast date was May 12, 1960, as typed on the pictured labels of those acetates.

Pelvis Ressley and MLutthans like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.