“Sing and Dance with Frank Sinatra” 70th Anniversary LP and Hybrid SACD from Impex Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Aug 31, 2020.

1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Can it be high resolution rez and audiophile simultaneously? Sure.

But can I detect a slightly deleterious effect on the sound? I think I can. I can detect a bit of sterility and the reduction of musical forward flow. With digital, it can seem sort of stagnant.

So, one has to determine their criteria for "audiophile". Is it image size? Hyper-detail? Great rendering of macro-dynamics?

Perhaps one medium might be better able to render certain criterion than another, and vice-versa.

What I'm saying is one person's audiophile may not be another's. Generally if digital is in the chain, I hesitate to buy, especially at higher retail prices. If an album I'm interested is AAA all the way, I might be more interested in purchasing it.

2. Aleksander86

Aleksander86 Forum Resident

Music, sound quality and package are top notch! Highly, highly recommended!

3. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I wish Acoustic Sounds would get the SACD in stock already so that I can get mine!

George P likes this.
  4. George P

George P Notable Member

I gave up on them and overpaid on Amazon.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  5. steveinphilly

steveinphilly Forum Resident

As Maxwell Smart used to say, "Missed it by _that_ much!" Argh--I came across this thread just today. I will take Chuck's advice and order both now and hope the vinyl comes in again in March. And I will at least get to listen to the SACD in the meantime--but I really want to hold the gatefold album in my hands! The MFSL SACDs are still some of the best-sounding Sinatra albums in my collection, so I can't wait to listen to this.

Swordsandchains likes this.
  6. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Yes! I speak for myself when I say that I trust you and the team implicitely but I may not be alone thinking this way. :)

Whether it be A Voice in Time, A Voice on Air (and its Smithsonian companion) or this Impex release, you've proven many times how much for care for this music and I look forward to hearing any upcoming Sinatra project you're involved in putting together. Thank you oncer again for all your hard work and dedication. Disc sources, tapes, whatever the source, if you think it sounds good, I'll listen to it with open ears.

7. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I may have snagged the last one :hide:. Listening to Only the Lonely over the weekend put me in a Frank mood, and I just had to do it.

8. teag

teag Forum Resident

I would be less interested to buy but would consider reviews before making a final decision. AAA would be an automatic buy for Frank.

Granata Chuck likes this.
  9. stevelucille

stevelucille Forum Resident

I agree completely. Going back and forth with the tape transfers and disc transfers on Sing and Dance it is just about immpossible for me to tell the difference. If you can match them up so well, I would not hesitate to purchase anything you can come up with.
    As a matter of fact at this point ANYTHING with your teams' names on it would be an automatic purchase for me. You have proven that you will leave no stone unturned to provide the highest quality Frank Sinatra recordings.

10. SamTheSham968

SamTheSham968 Forum Resident

I can't speak for other listeners, let alone "audiophiles." But I want to believe that if the resulting release sounds both great and true, anyone who cares about this music will love it. Demonstrated by how we all feel about this Impex release.

Sim2, alanbeat, Granata Chuck and 2 others like this.
  11. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I’d be in for an Impex take on this album, of which I have a pretty decent, but not perfect, original copy. But I will buy any future Sinatra titles they choose to put out. I’m sure they don’t need my help deciding what to do.

[​IMG]

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

"Sing And Dance With Frank Sinatra" is really one of the best of the Impex releases. The music is great and the sound is amazing. Knowing what it's like, I'm sure it was a royal pain in the butt to gather all of the master material for this special release but they did it.

Fantastic job all around, graphics, pressing quality, sound quality. Just tremendous.

13. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Thank you so much, Steve. We're glad you love it!

StevenTounsand and Steve Hoffman like this.
  14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

One day write a book on how you got it all done..

15. Granata Chuck

Granata Chuck Forum Resident

LOL. Steve, I COULD write that book...trouble is, very few would want to read it. The truth is, this project was very smooth sailing. There were FAR more complexities - in all areas - in bringing the four-CD box set A Voice On Air to the finish line in 2015...

Thank you kindly for your effusive praise; as you know, so much of bringing something like this together is luck and timing. Fortunately, both were on our side and we pulled it off. This is a wonderful moment to be a record collector, given the proliferation of fine-sounding recordings coming from many labels in nearly every genre. As a listener, I sure hope the trend continues! Thanks again...

16. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

Chuck, it will only happen because people like yourself and your team keep it going. Thank you!

17. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

I can’t stop playing this record. I sit down, the ice clinks in the glass, the lighting is low, the day is nearly done - just one more record.

The tubes are fully warmed up. I am relaxed and ready to slip into the warm bath that is this record.

I slowly lower the stylus onto the record - and from a black silent background it starts...

18. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Although I have the SACD, I am with you. I can't stop playing this disc. It is so alive. :edthumbs:

Granata Chuck, MMM, alanbeat and 3 others like this.
  19. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I agree. The other thing I like about it is it transports me to another time. It was a time when my grandpa was young, when records like this were the “cat’s meow”. There’s just something nostalgic about that even though I wasn’t there.

ausgraeme, Granata Chuck, MMM and 3 others like this.
  20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Me Granata, for me its all about the sound quality. If the techniques used are not detrimental to the end products sound quality then sources are not so important. End results with copy tapes can sometimes be better than original tapes if misuse or over use of clean up techniques are used on the master tape thats worked from vs. a great sounding copy tape that wasnt doctored up in a reissue. Im all for the end result, best sources available and presented with care. Digital devices, imo, shouldnt be taboo. Technology has came a long way. And if used sparingly in a manner that doesnt affect the music, Im all for it. My two layman cents anyway.

Honestly, I can say that its very easy to trust the work imo. You guys have always done a great job. I believe I have every Sinatra set thats been released with your involvement.

dastinger, Granata Chuck, MMM and 2 others like this.
  21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I just realized I hadnt commented on this set. What can be said that hasnt been. IMO, one of the best Frank Sinatra reissues in recent years. I purchased the SACD and the sound quality is just perfectly balanced and dynamically presented. So, of course, I had to have the LP. What a vibrant presentation of both the music and artwork! Totally transports one back and yet gives a bit of modern coolness to the album. A winner in my book. Hope there is more to come like this :thumbsup:

22. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I would urge Chuck Granata to work on the studio recording sessions for
    the radio program To Be Perfectly Frank, regardless of the sound quality.
    The performances are important and hitherto unreleased, officially, since
    1953. It is time to get these vital performances onto disc. Restore then
    insofar as they can be restored, but don't hold back if they can't be. It is
    more important to release them in any condition as soon as possible.

Sinatra fans understand about these things. Just get them released.

23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That would be nice. It would also be nice if he had authority to do that.

Granata Chuck likes this.
  24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

He had authority to release five “To Be Perfectly Frank” tracks in A Voice on Air. (Discussed at length in that thread.)

25. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

James/Bob/Kent/mpayan, our thanks! We're happy you love it so much...