Singer-Songwriter (better known as a songwriter) Micheal Smotherman, RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Nov 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

From his Facebook page from his daughter: Hello all. My beautiful and amazing dad passed away peacefully early this morning. Thank you all so much for all your prayers and words of encouragement. This world just won't be the same without him in it. He loved you all.

Micheal was a great songwriter, writing many of Glen Campbell's later period hits including Can You Fool among other songs.

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

4. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Brad, I missed your post last week, as I was out of town. Being a pretty huge fan of Glen Campbell, I would often see Michael's songwriting credits on his late 70's and early '80's albums. The one album that was truly a harvest of Michael's songwriting was Glen's "Basic" album, where nearly every song was written by him. I really enjoy the "Basic" album, as it was not about the "hits", but rather, just a damn fine album of interesting (and somewhat different for Glen), type of songs.

Michael was no Randy Goodrum, who is one of my favorite Nashville songwriters, but he did write some interesting songs for Glen, when he really needed something a little different and fresh, from the Lambert/Potter productions, that Glen succeeded with, but kind of wore out in the mid '70's.

Glen Campbell fans, please be sure to check out "Basic", if you have never heard it, as you might just enjoy it for it's simplicity and for it's honesty of allowing Glen to just be Glen.

Basic (Glen Campbell album) - Wikipedia

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.