Single Point Tonearms

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gary, Aug 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

Just came across an old single point tone arm that looks like it was an upgrade to an old TT.

This is a tone arm that 'floats' on a single point (the base) and is delicately balanced between the cart., counter weight and anti skating device.

Are these any good? Anyone have any experience with them? I am thinking of finding a decent table for it..... but before I spend the Big Bucks, I thought I'd ask around here first!

Thanks y'all!

2. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

As the actress said to the bishop -it all depends :D

Some unipivots are up there amongst the greats and some ... do you have a manufacturers name or model number on the arm ? I have a Graham unipivot mounted on one of my turntables and it ain't no chopped liver that's for sure :D

All the best - Andrew

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

I can't see a name on this arm at all. It's made of alumimum and the lift lever handle is wood. That's it.

I took it to a few places but no one knows what it is.

I'll have to assume it's one of the cheapies....

4. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Some of the most aclaimed arms in the world are unipivot but it is my understanding that like linear tracking arms there are a few world class ones and numerous underachievers. i wouldn't expect an old unnamed unipivot arm to be as good or even close to a Graham arm.

5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Graham...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.