Siouxsie & The Banshees vinyl reissues 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Jan 27, 2017.

1. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips? Thread Starter

well its the same as UK Fathers being unable to source Barnes & Noble or Newbury Comics "exclusives"...............or FNAC "exclusives" in France

Neonbeam likes this.
  2. jimod99

The Banshees didn't "break" North America until Peepshow was released in 1988, so I'm not sure how much demand there was for their back catalogue then, Geffen reissued most of their albums but I'm not sure how many copies were pressed, especially as that was the start of the CD age.

There are 66 vinyl copies currently on Discogs Siouxsie And The Banshees* - Juju (Vinyl, CD) For Sale at Discogs Marketplace , I only paid about $25 for my PVC version about 4 or 5 years ago.

latheofheaven likes this.
  3. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I'll believe it when I see the rest on Amazon. Right now it's still only JuJu, Tinderbox and Superstition.

4. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Nothing, of course, which is why I'd be wary of any remastering of Juju.

latheofheaven and Neonbeam like this.
  5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

True, but I don’t recall any Banshees exclusives at B&N. Furthermore, on past RSDs there have been UK Siouxsie releases but not North American ones.

Thank goodness The Cure, Depeche Mode and New Order are popular over here! :)

6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

That's really fascinating because at the super large Utrecht fair this spring Banshees vinyl was plenty within the 10€ range. Here in Europe their are just not as much in demand as The Cure. (But we've had this discussion before.)

Love your new avatar btw:righton:

latheofheaven and c-eling like this.
  7. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Thanks Neon!
    Music taste wise, I'm on the wrong part of the planet :laugh:
    Yeah, I have not seen one Banshees title since then, not even Geffen's
    Compact disc wise, Superstition pops up every once in awhile

8. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

I'm glad you guys are all talking about Siouxsie... I basically bought all the originals (or early ones) here in the U.S. when they came out. I wasn't aware that the original vinyl was that hard to find now.

I will really have to get these albums out and give them a listen since I'm ashamed to say it's been many years o_O You have me quite curious now too as to how the mastering sounds.

The only album where the sound quality stands out in my memory, is that of Peep Show. I remember listening to the release at the time and thinking that the mastering sounded kind of artificial / digital / thin and not that great, but that's all I remember from many years ago...

Neonbeam and c-eling like this.
  9. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I'm betting that they'll use the cd remasterings. Ugh.
    Tinderbox was the worst of the bunch, and unremastered it's absolutely the best on vinyl of the bunch.
    The Scream was the only remaster that seemed to improve on the original thin sounding cd.
    Kaleidoscope remaster wasn't too bad either.
    But Tinderbox and Hyaena are awful remasterings.

I bought some of the Geffen vinyl reissues back in the 1990's and they sound as good - or better than - my first issues. They were also quite cheap.

10. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

If the RSD Join Hands is anything to go by, they should be fine.

11. HiFi Guy 008

Forgot to mention that one. The remaster is ok, as is the Juju remaster - just don't crank them too loud.

But the remastered Tinderbox and Hyaena are ruined.

Regarding not remastered vinyl pressings, the Geffen 1990's reissue of Juju sounds better than my PVC original.
    And I bet it's still available for reasonable prices.

Edit: holy cow - $20.00 for a VG copy??
    Siouxsie And The Banshees* - Juju (Vinyl) For Sale at Discogs Marketplace

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  12. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

13. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

I’m from Chile. God, I will never get a vinyl of Juju.

14. jimod99

Theres been one RSD Siouxsie release, Join Hands, which was also available in North America, it was so popular there are still two shops here in Ottawa with copies in stock!

15. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

It was exclusive for European RSD. Any copies in stores in North America would have been ordered from European distributors.

My copy was sent to me by a friend in the UK.

16. jimod99

There were plenty of copies here though, I'm sure some North American distributors got some, I know for a fact The Scream pic disc was available to NA Distributors, my local store ordered mine from one.

17. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

The Scream pic disc wasn't a Record Store Day-only release. (Also - man, that was literally the worst-sounding picture disc I've ever heard. Nice flat transfer for the the digital download, though.)

Anyway, it's certainly possible some North American distributors got Join Hands (and it makes sense for Canada especially), but it really was promoted as being Europe-only for RSD.

18. HiFi Guy 008

I guessing you're being sarcastic.
    That's probably the most overlooked of their albums.
    It was a grower for me.

19. jimod99

Side 1 is great, side 2 isn’t, adding Infantry and putting it out on RSD was pretty pointless in my opinion, there are far better Banshees albums worthy of a reissue over Join Hands.

Didn’t stop me from buying it though.

As Universal have cocked up many of the Banshees releases over the last few years I wouldn’t hold out much hope for anything they are going to put out.

The shambolic Peepshow cd debacle.

The poor pressing HKG 7” with the badly warped second disc

The misprinted Kiss In The Dreamhouse Sleeve in the Complete Albums Box.

The piss poor Scream pic disc

Ironically The Glove RSD release was ok (both of them, although the US issue was a Rhino release)

20. HiFi Guy 008

I've not seen Dreamhouse reissued on vinyl. What are you referring to?

21. jimod99

The cd box

22. HiFi Guy 008

I have the original UK cd (and UK cassette with the bit of boob showing lol.)
    The album has always sounded different from side one to side two.
    Side two being clearer. On both cd and cassette. Was that your experience?

23. jimod99

In the cd box set Universal misprinted the sleeve, it does not have titles on it, just another example of the poor quality control that has plagued many recent Banshees releases.

Oh, also forgot the very poor mastering on the first pressing of the single disc version of The Scream remaster.

24. HiFi Guy 008

I've noticed it being said that the 2cd version used a better mastering, but I'm checking the DR database now...

It only shows the box set and single disc versions. Hmm.

25. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Uh.... guys... the title of this thread is 'VINYL reissues... Not to be a punk, but after several comments about CDs and DR values I start to get nervous... :sweating:

Mathew, Krzych and Ben Adams like this.