Sir Daniel Day-Lewis:Is he the GOAT?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by bherbert, Feb 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Yes, I'd never thought about that but you are right.
    I've not seen Love Liza. I'd watch him in anything though.

the pope ondine likes this.
  2. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

If we are talking GOAT, I'd nominate Hanks. Lewis may be a great actor but films with Hanks are overall much better, imo.

P. S. Lewis may have the most Ocars but who managed to win two in two years back to back?! :)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  3. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

we take tom for granted!

DLeet likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I've liked Hanks since the "Bosom Buddies" days but really don't view him as a "great actor".

He's a great Tom Hanks. He just doesn't have wide range - most of his characters still seem like The Tom Hanks Persona! :shrug:

5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Day-Lewis was very choosy in this roles. He just didn't do a lot of movies. There was a time where he 'retired' and became an apprentice to a cobbler and started making shoes. He was eventually persuaded back by Scorsese (I think), but because of his limited filmography, he didn't get a chance to do as many wide genre pieces as many actors. He never sold out and he always gave every performance 100%. I would argue that there is some comedy in both "Gangs of New York" and "Phantom Thread". Nuanced? Sure, but it's there. I have no doubt if he had chosen to do a full fledged comedy he could have done it with great aplomb.

Many are mentioning Gary Oldman as one of the best ever (I did) and he, to date, hasn't done very many comedies, but is there any doubt he could if he wanted to? He was semi-hilarious in his role in "True Romance". I'm sure he's done a few others. In other words, I don't think just because an actor hasn't done every genre he/she should be precluded from the tag of 'best ever'.

a customer likes this.
  6. the pope ondine

that's true, but paul newman is kind of like that, he's always paul and he's one of the best (imo) I used to think tom was kind of lightweight but....over time he's really impressed me. out of context maybe doesn't have the same impact I felt he was very authentic here (end of capt Philip, spoiler alert (-:)

HaileyMcComet likes this.
  7. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Same for me. I didn't expect Hoffman to become the acting giant that he did, especially after seeing him years later as one of the goofball storm chasers in Twister, which made me think he would be one of those good actors who was always a great side character, but he definitely struck me as a good actor in Scent of a Woman. His mannerisms and line delivery were both already excellent. He was tremendous in his small role in Boogie Nights as well.

While I agree that the Tom Hanks persona does come out in many of his roles, that can be said for a lot of actors, no? I think Hanks is in the conversation for greatest actor of the last 30 years and not many can do both comedy and drama as well as he can (Robin Williams was one, for sure). It almost gets take for granted now, but his performance in Forrest Gump was legendary.

GMfan87', GodShifter and jlocke08 like this.
  8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I see your point, but I just think the Tom Hanks Personality dominates his work more than their own niche "characters" do for most others.

Hanks rarely seems to challenge himself with something truly different. Even when he played a "bad guy" in "Road to Perdition", he played a semi-toothless, Tom Hanks-ized bad guy.

Like I said, I like Hanks and enjoy the Tom Hanks Personality, so I'm not knocking him. Just question how much range he has! :shrug:

NightGoatToCairo and budwhite like this.
  9. Sam Rockwell gets my vote. That guy can do it all.

mradmack likes this.
  10. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Understandable, but I would ask whether or not an actor has to have great range in order to be great. Al Pacino, for example, cannot do comedy, but I suspect he is on the list for many as one of the best ever, mine included. In the case of Hanks, I know he has said he does not like playing bad guys, as he is not a fan of playing roles where he cannot relate to the character at all, which is why you never see him playing one. Even if Road to Perdition, as you mentioned, he is the "bad guy" who has honor and a code, and a result is the protagonist of the film. When you think of 1992-1994, he did three very different roles: A League of Their Own, Philadelphia and Forrest Gump. Very impressive, if you ask me. :)

GodShifter likes this.
  11. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

Why is it always the same old ten white guys from 70ies/80ies Hollywood?

12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Whatchoo got?

13. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Forum Resident

Denzel Washington should be in the reckoning IMO..

14. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I love Hanks but he always seems to make the character fit the Hanks personally not the other way around.

15. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

Maybe not the GOAT but he's definitely in the conversation. My opinion is Denzel is probably the best actor ever, followed by Gene Hackman, DDL, Gary Oldman, Philip S. Hoffman, James Stewart, Heath Ledger, Jack Lemmon and Toshiro Mifune. Using the Oscar as the measuring stick kinda stifles the category IMO. Oscar used to mean something, not anymore. Brad Pitt? AYFKM??
    I use the "who else could have done this better" question to form my opinion. I can see no one else as Daniel Plainview. Just as no one else could portray Malcom X or Reuben Carter. Gene Hackman is "Birdcage"? Unbelievable turn of character. His drag costume still gives me the creeps. Mifune just for his work with Kurosarwa.
    As much as it pains me to say it, DeNiro and Anthony Hopkins have been dining out on the roles that garnered them the most attention. Both are just mailing it in now. Really loved their earlier roles.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Funny, because I find Denzel Washington is pretty much just Denzel in every movie. I don't see a lot of range with his roles.

a customer and NightGoatToCairo like this.
  17. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Once I find a digital scale that measures great acting, I’ll let you know.

18. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

He is/was great, but greatest of all time is an impossible title for anyone to hold. Who are the greatest rock band of all time? Obviously, it's Hall & Oates, but believe it or not, some people might disagree.

Daniel Day-Lewis has to be at least in the top 15.

And pretty high on a list of actors, as well.

19. HaileyMcComet

For the same reason it's always Beatles, Stones, Kinks.

20. HaileyMcComet

This is easily the best performance of his career. Not so much the entire movie, but the ending. He plays shock in a way none of the greats of the past would have. Then again, had Captain Phillips been made 50+ years ago, he would have stood up in the lifeboat and single handedly taken out all the bad guys.

the pope ondine likes this.
  21. HaileyMcComet

Brando Seymour Hoffman?

22. HaileyMcComet

I don't know who that is, but she definitely does not have Bette Davis Eyes.

23. the pope ondine

well this is the 1 goat thread.....if it was a list of great actors I think it would be more varied, I think morgan freeman before every role was the saintly wise man , (see street smart) was scary good.

24. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

If rumors are true he is Hollywood Lover GOAT with an impressive list of ladies he hooked with.

25. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Winona Ryder, Julia Roberts, Juliette Binoche, Isabelle Adjani, Rebecca Miller. Any other famous ones? (Not that it isn’t already an impressive list. :))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.