Sir Elton John - Farewell Yellow Brick Road tour, final tour before he retires from touring *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Strat-Mangler, Jan 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

It was not too expensive actually. Not like $300 or anything, IIRC like $140 plus fees.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  2. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

that's not too bad , thanks for the info ;)

3. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Yes. He also said he won't STOP performing. Just TOURING.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  4. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Re: the comments about the stagnant set list, my guess is that the music is SO integrated into the video that it would be difficult to swap out 3-4 songs a night. Probably not as difficult as I think, but it’s another thing that has to go right every night.

5. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

I just saw him in Philly on Saturday. Since I last saw him at a show earlier in the year, he's changed the order of a few songs - but yes, the videos are very integrated. Song-order changing is not as big a deal, but major additions/changes would need alternate content. He did add two new songs, I Want Love and Sorry Seems to Be The Hardest Word. The former had a video, the latter didn't. Believe was dropped.

6. guerilla1977

guerilla1977 Forum Resident

Elton's energy and tour schedule is just amazing:
    • 33 shows all over North America from September to mid-November 2019
    • 2-week break
    • 13 shows in Australia in Nov-Dec
    • Back to L.A. for Christmas
    • Attends the Golden Globes on January 5th
    • Plays in Australia on January 7th (!!!)
    • 27 more shows in Australia through February
    • And 100+ more shows throughout 2020

deadbirdie and FashionBoy like this.
  7. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Wow 40 shows in Australia, that must be very unusual for a mega act like Elton to do so many shows.
    Good for him, I think someone posted a while back that he has always toured lots in Australia, and not just in the major cities but all over the place.

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Elton will play anywhere! As I think we've noted on this thread, he's played smaller US cities that no other A-list artist would do.

That's partly why I still find it tough to believe he's really leaving the road. The guy clearly loves it - you don't tour almost constantly over 50 years if you don't.

I looked at setlist.fm's accounting of "total shows played".

Billy Joel - who tours a ton as well - is at 1487 performances total.

Jimmy Buffett, a total road warrior? 2129.

James Taylor seems to tour a lot: 1745.

Elton?

3921!

Now setlist.fm includes appearances that aren't full concerts - guest spots, TV, short promo shows, etc.

But still...!

Jarleboy and mrjinks like this.
  9. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Madman Across the Waters....

10. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

I think he loves playing live, but not the traveling that comes with touring. He doesn't like 'the road' anymore. And his recent health issues were a wake-up call I think that he needs to stop the jetsetting so much.

I could see another series of shows in, say, London with Ray Cooper for a week. Several times now he's expressed he's kind of over playing things like 'Crocodile Rock' and wants to focus on the lesser known stuff in his catalog. I think the reminiscent of the Rocketman movie and the autobiography have inspired looking back.

Jarleboy likes this.
  11. Oatsdad

I see your point, but still find it hard to believe that after nearly 50 years of the road, he can go "cold turkey" and just do residencies.

We'll see! :)

12. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

He explains in the book that his decision has a lot to do with having two kids. So I believe him when he says he's going to work his life in terms of staying close to home when this tour wraps up.

Jarleboy and ausgraeme like this.
  13. Oatsdad

"I need to retire to spend more time with my kids. So I'll play 3 years of concerts!" :wtf:

ARK, melstapler, bob60 and 2 others like this.
  14. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I think the kids are with Elton on the tour. All private plane/5 star rooms(presidential suites?) travel.

15. Oatsdad

So why retire from the road to spend time with your kids... if you already spend time with your kids?

ARK, melstapler and mrjinks like this.
  16. SoundAdvice

He's been flying too much and should spend time doing "mini residencies" in a small number of cities per year. When he was doing single nighters a few years ago, he'd fly back to his home bed between shows at his 3-4 homes. That's a crazy amount of time in the air, as JamesRR mentioned.

His kids are 7 & 9 and probably have only been tutored, rather than any kind of school.

300+ shows making USD$2mil+ each, I think he's chasing the Sheeran/U2 biggest world tour record. $735+mil range depending how you calculate inflation.

17. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

He's stuffing the coffers as touring is his most lucrative income. So his husband and kids can continue the lavish lifestyle in years to come.
    Ultimately he wants to raise the kids in England, so a few more years and then done. There is an irony in not wanting to tour and committing to a 3 year tour. But I think it's honestly to get as much $$ as he can. He's admitted he's sick of playing stuff like "Crocodile Rock."

melstapler likes this.
  18. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Saw this People magazine cover from 1978 today.

To quote Luke Skywalker: "Amazing. Every word of what you just said was wrong." :laugh:

[​IMG]

Jarleboy, ARK, Hep Alien and 3 others like this.
  19. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

20. Except for the Cocaine in Hollywood

21. SoundAdvice

Who's in his band? He fired band & staff them a couple months ago.

He'll be 75 years old when those known dates finish. Kids will be 9 and 11.

Farewell Tour announced January 2018 and dates thru April 2022 for those that were curious.

22. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

PH416156 likes this.
  23. pghmusiclover

:laughup:

24. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

It's not his fault that his long farewell world tour was interrupted by a pandemic.

Jarleboy and BeatleJWOL like this.
  25. pghmusiclover

Of course not. Still you’d think he would take it as a sign to wrap it up rather than reschedule...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.